F6 Project

1 hour ago, brian in buddina said:

30 psi 

where do you figure is the weakest link in the chain? What do you think is going to break first?

The drive shafts have been left standard so far, everything to there has been upgraded and strengthened, diff and tailshaft etc. After a few more weeks the driveshafts will be inspected to see if an upgrade is needed but the thought is that if something is going to go this will be the easiest, somewhat, to replace.

19 minutes ago, 9fan said:

That thing is going to pull a hell of a road train with that tow bar, but I suspect it is there to make it look a road standard family car !

As with any car grip\acceleration is limited by tyre grip so what size wheels and tyres will it run - road and strip ?

Cheers, Mark.

Just standard for the road Mark, it's really not much of a road car. Will be sticky tyres for the strip.

Unfortunately the sensors are picking up "noise" from the new wiring loom and the computer was shutting the car down so this is a small problem that will need to be addressed as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the car was dynoed again after some issues were sorted resulting in 1134rwhp @34psi and more than 1500nm torque. That was just to find out peak power output, the stall converter and custom built gearbox are said to be holding back 150hp but hey, who cares.

The car was put back to a "street tune" running 20psi just to keep it manageable for the moment and the Motec ECU is a great bit of kit to help with engine management and switchable maps.

I'm not really into drag cars but while the car was getting tuned at Gas Racing i had the chance the check out the drag cars they have there and the immense power they get out of the turboed 6cyl jap 2J engines is amazing, over 1800kw running over 150psi of boost and a 6.2 sec quarter mile, and a scary looking car to be inside of.

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Wow! That is some serious power! What did it deliver for the "street tune" power wise?

Not sure to be honest, the lap top was hooked in to the ECU and it was done on the street by the tuner and i didn't ask. We had been down there since early afternoon and all i wanted to do was get out of Sydney and away from the doof doof ricer scene, nothing wrong with that by the way if that is your thing. These young guys with seemingly endless amounts of cash paying tuner's immense amounts of money to build these cars for them so they look like 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Late model GTR's with the running gear stripped out and replaced with better components and engine's rebuilt to make more power cost's an incredible amount of money and that was only at one shop. At Gas Racing they do the rotary's as well and they had 6 in the shop and four of them were over 30yrs old, i don't know how those little old chassis hold up with all that power because i don't think the bodies were strengthened too much.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2018 at 8:57 AM, TINGY944 said:

The drive shafts have been left standard so far, everything to there has been upgraded and strengthened, diff and tailshaft etc. After a few more weeks the driveshafts will be inspected to see if an upgrade is needed but the thought is that if something is going to go this will be the easiest, somewhat, to replace.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:53 AM, brian in buddina said:

30 psi 

where do you figure is the weakest link in the chain? What do you think is going to break first?

Well it was bound to happen and we found the weakest link, driveshafts, a 2 hr strip down and it's off to a mates shop to strip the hubs and upgrade.

New driveshafts are rated to 1400hp so they will handle 1100hp we hope.

NTDD7VS.jpg

3XORzRT.jpg

EfGtqyA.jpg

55f1sou.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add a couple of comments here.

For anyone building an engine and considering after market ECU's the MOTEC is an outstanding bit of kit, a bit on the exy side but what you can do with it to manage boost and all the other factors associated with the engine is awesome.

I also did not realize how much preparation is involved in sending a car up the quarter mile.

There is an Australian record just around the corner, it's so close, watch this space.

For anyone interested in figures, it did the 1/4 mile (400m) in 9.863 sec at 237kmh (147mph) 

Just a bit more tuning before and after the runs.

8yXLycs.jpg

E53f7z4.jpg

Archived