Allan Hamiltons Hill climb car

Guest vas930

Guest vas930

I Know its a long shot, but what the heck. Allan Hamilton raced an open wheel race car on the Hill Climb circuit in the early to mid 80s. I dont know what type of car it was. I do know that it had a Porsche engine and dont think it was a flat six. Any of you experts know anything about this car? Esp the type of engine it had? Cant find the photo of it I had from the old Morwell Hill Climb to help. Anyone? :(

Hi Vas,

A.H. won the Australian H/C Championship twice to my knowledge.

The first time, 1980 or thereabouts in a Porsche special and the second time if I can remember properly in the late 80's. This time in a Lola chassis.

Memory tends to get a bit blurry these days.

Might have a bit of a browse and see if can come up with some real details.

Will post again if I do.

Dave

PS What's the interest anyway?

Guest vas930

Thanks Dave. Hope you find something. As a boy with my dad I spent many weekends at the hill climbs. Its just one of those things I cant recall,not life or death. But very frustrating as I saw Allan in this car so many times. He was a bit of a hero of mine. Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vas,

I can remember Alan Hamiltons Turbo 934 in the 1980 Sports Car Championship,but being driven by Allan Moffat !!! - winning the series.

Cheers, Mark.

Have a contact, will try and find out more on hillclimb for you.

Guest vas930

Thanks Mark. That would be great, its driving me mad! The Moff did win in that car, just before Allan Jones cleaned up in the 935. That was a great era of racing in Australia. I always felt the Moff was underated.That man drove the wheels of anything, and a real gent to meet in person. I also remember as a child watching Jim Richards at Calder in the late 70s, in a Falcon coupe. I think it was the Big M car in sport sedans, not sure. Great memories with my Dad. Thanks for your help. Vas :)

Hi Vas,

In 1978-79-80 I was crew for a mate Ross Mathiesen who bought a Jim McEwen 911 and converted it to 911 RSR spec and was racing against Peter Fitzgerald in his 2.7.Ross won the Championship in his first 2 years of racing and was 3rd in the year Allan Moffat won.My intro to Motorsport as a Teen was staying with a fiend of the family and driving his Cortina to the pits for scrutiny.It was fitted with a 302 V8 ! I would watch him race against Moffat-Coke Mustang,Jim McEwen 911,Bob Jane-Camero and Norm Beechy-Monaro 350.That left a lasting impression and working on and bedding in brakes on Ross's 911 gave me a love of P cars.

I am told in 1980 Allan Hamilton was using several cars in Hillclimb - the Porsche special,two Lola F3000 one Cosworth powered the other Buick V6 and a T87.He won the Australian Championship in the Lola Buick.

I believe the Porsche Specials engine returned to Germany - still not sure what type.He also may have had a 924 Turbo.

Waiting for some photos which I should be able to post but none of the Porsche special unfortunately.

Cheers, Mark.

Guest vas930

Thanks for the info Mark, great story on your porsche introduction. Looks like the porsche special may go down as a mystery. Vas. :)

Thanks Mark. That would be great, its driving me mad! The Moff did win in that car, just before Allan Jones cleaned up in the 935. That was a great era of racing in Australia. I always felt the Moff was underated.That man drove the wheels of anything, and a real gent to meet in person. I also remember as a child watching Jim Richards at Calder in the late 70s, in a Falcon coupe. I think it was the Big M car in sport sedans, not sure. Great memories with my Dad. Thanks for your help. Vas :)

I remember at Winon in the sport cars Moffat got ahead of Ross and the 911 3Lt being quicker in the corners would come to the back of the 934 Turbo and Ross a couple of times would tap Allan in the rear trying to get past.When they finished and parked the fibreglass front of Ross's car was all stoved in and Allans rear was hardly scratched.Ross said how come yours is not damaged and kicked it-to have the dong of Steel ring out.Ross said to Allan "I hope I wasn't upsetting you through the corners and Allan laughing replied "If anything you made me faster through them".

Mark.

Hi Vas,

I can remember Alan Hamiltons Turbo 934 in the 1980 Sports Car Championship,but being driven by Allan Moffat !!! - winning the series.

Cheers, Mark.

Have a contact, will try and find out more on hillclimb for you.

i rebuilt the original 934 engine and reinstalled it when bruce harris owned it,for a while he was running a 935 engine

love that car

not sure

i think greg o keefe may have bought one of alans hill climb cars a few years ago,fairly sure it didn't have an engine in it

alan always had plenty of projects on the go with a wide variety of engines from not only porsche but other manufacturers too

Mark, I can remember Moffat racing in the Porsche at winton as well. It must have been 1980 when I was there. I had a mate racing forula vee and I was 17 at the time. Miff was and is my hero. When I bought my 930 I had to pick it up from Don Roe's workshop which was actually at moffs workshop in Malvern Rd. Got to meet him there and it was nearly as exciting as taking delivery of the 930. Not quite but certainly made it very memorable.

Great to hear Some of those stories

Good one guys.

Cheers

Chris

Small world isn't it. Don is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

He was very nice to me that day as I had my daughter with me who has a disability and he was very kind to her. Things like that you don't forget.

Cheers

Chris

Guest vas930

Porsche 934

Engine

3000cc rear-mounted flat-six. Inter-cooled KKK turbocharger Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection 485bhp.

Transmission

4-speed transaxle with ZF differential.

Suspension

Adjustable race suspension, coil over shocks assisting.

Body

Group 4 body kit.

Wheels

16 inch

Other

In 1980 Allan was endeavouring to get the Mazda RX7 homologated. In the meantime, he didn’t have a race program.

Alan Hamilton was trying to find a driver for his Porsche 934 Turbo, which was eligible for the Australian Sports Car Championship (ASCC).

Hamilton had used the same car to wrap up the 1977 championship.

Hamilton and Moffat knew each other well. Hamilton had raced Porsches in the Improved Production phase of the ATCC, against the Trans Am Mustang. He had also been Allan’s co-driver in the ’69 Hardie Ferodo when arguably; they could have won the race. Hamilton drove with Bond at Bathurst in 1977 and was part of the famous one-two finish at Bathurst.

The ASCC had previously been run for sports racing cars such as the Elfins, McLarens and Matichs, but was now a series for production sports cars.

Round one - 1980 ASCC - Sandown; Allan had his first 934 drive only three days prior to the weekend. He was also still becoming accustomed to the turbo and lagging power delivery of the Porsche. Nevertheless, he won both races.

Round two - Baskerville, Tasmania; Allan took pole and won the race.

Round three - Amaroo Park; Allan won the first heat, but an unexpected pit stop to replace a deflating tyre in the second heat saw him lose over a lap.

With only two rounds remaining Allan had a good lead in the Championship with 35 points ahead of Mathieson on 24, Hopwood on 20 and Latham with 19.

Round four - Winton; Allan finished fourth in the first heat and went on to win the second. That gave him sufficient points to wrap up the ASCC title with one round still to run. Consequently Allan did not compete at the final round. With the title already wrapped up Hamilton had already sold the car.

• 3 weeks later...

In that 1980 Championship at Sandown after practise Ross's 911 had an oil pressure drop.It was a long night ! We had to part the engine block to get to the oil pump that failed.Fortunately the engine was OK.The sun came up and we thought Sh-t we better put this thing back together and get back to the track.It ran like clockwork again.

At Baskerville Ross got ahead of Moff. Moff would pass Ross down the Back straight on boost, but being lighter the 911 would dive past on the inside to the next corner and accelerate through it.This was repeated numerous times until Ross's gearbox jammed in forth.

At Amaroo Park Ross ran both his 911 and a friends L34 Torana in the touring cars.The L34 alternator gave up ! No problem, we just borrowed the one from the Rental Commodore and put it back when we finished the day.

At Winton Ross had a tyre deflate.

Ross was 3rd that year.Ross also sold his car.

I think Mark Latham drove a Bolwell Nagari 351 and Henderson MGv8, trying to remember what Hopwood was in (Chev Corvette),will have to look in the archives.Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers, Mark.

Guest vas930

Another great story Mark. It is frustrating when you cant remember the details.

Unresolved Questions.

What was Hopwood driving in 1980?

Was Moffats 934 a 934 or 934.5?

What Porsche engine was in Allan Hamiltons open wheel hill Climb car?

Guest vas930

Great photo Jnr. I never saw that car. What engine is that?

Also, you said you rebuilt the 934 engine. Do you know if it was a 934 or 934.5?

Did the one you rebuild have the fan on top? That may give us an idea.

Thanks for the info. :)

Guest vas930

The Porsche 934.5 was the final version of the 934.

Porsche only made 10 of these cars at the end of 1977.

Bigger wing, guards and wheels. More power.

I know Alans car did not have the 934.5 body kit. I thought it may have been a mix, with the engine upgrade as he was racing the car in 1980.

I will do some research and find out what the upgrade was. :)

What is a 934.5? http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z9990/Porsche-9345.aspx

Guest vas930

OK Moffats car was a stock 934. We will never know if it was the 480hp or 550hp engine as the mods were internal, mainly a change to bigger valves.

To comply with the regulations, the 934 would have to weigh at least 1120kg. This was easily achieved by removing most of the interior and weight was brought down to 1090kg even with the electric windows still in place. In race trim it was balasted to 1120 kg. Major modifications to the engine were not allowed, but due to the nature of Turbocharged engines, a higher output is fairly easily achieved. In Group 4 trim the 3 litre engine was good for a tarmac blistering 480 bhp and equipped with larger valves in 1977 over 550 bhp was reached.

This car was owned by Allan Hamilton ,and the same car Hamilton won the 77 championship in. :)

Archived