Allan Hamiltons Hill climb car

Guest vas930

• 1 year later...

Another great story Mark. It is frustrating when you cant remember the details.

Unresolved Questions.

What was Hopwood driving in 1980?

Was Moffats 934 a 934 or 934.5?

What Porsche engine was in Allan Hamiltons open wheel hill Climb car?

What engine was in Allan Hamiltons open wheel HCC ?

908/3   Mystery solved.

Take that Guest_ Vas930 !  <_<

• 10 months later...

Just had an interesting chat to an old friend of our family that would come along with my dad back in the hill climb days.

Now it was a long time ago but this gent has a very good memory.

From a conversation he had with Alan in the pits he can recall this to add to the mystery of the Porsche powered hill climb car raced by Alan Hamilton.

Yes it was a 908 engine as I can remember as a small boy and has been confirmed from another source.

The interesting part was the car itself. Seems that Alan had received a large shipment of parts from the factory, the engine and various other goodies. My friend can recall that the tub that made up the car was also a 908 that had raced at Le Mans.

Now by this stage it was a combination of 908 with some Can Am parts, with fabricated front and rear wing to form an open wheeler.

Even more incredible is the fact that he gave my dad a pic of the car at the time as our home burnt down and dad had lost all his racing pics. I will hunt it down as soon as I can.

It was great to talk to an old family friend that was a huge part of racing with dad in a great time of my life.                                                   We are getting close to the whole story.

I think the next step is to make contact with Alan and see if all this is correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Great posts guys! I remember some of those days/cars too. Wish there was some easy to access video around. I also remember somewhat later that Alan Jones raced a 935 (assuming it was A.H's?) vs Brocky in a 7ltr Monza Sports Sedan and Colin Bond in a 924CGTS or similar. It was pretty track dependent on how they'd finish. Generally Brocky would storm off the line and if the straight was long enough AJ would reel him in. Bondy wasn't too far behind on the tighter tracks. Would love to see those races again. 

Thanks for the memories.  ;)

• 2 years later...

Archived