So in today's money (inflation as per 2014 data) you would be up for an additional 32k to buy a 928S4 (@ 384k) over a 964 RS. 

When you look at this against the current day relative values a 928 is worth approx. 14% of its original purchase price whilst a 964RS has appreciated by almost double their initial purchase price.  

All I was highlighting is that they were an expensive model in comparison to the N/A 911's of the era and I don't believe many people understand this when they look at the relative values of them today. As most of us know they were a very advanced car and well ahead of their time - it just came at a relatively large cost at the time, a relative bargain now in comparison. 

Yes, I do have the numbers for the 964 & the 944's - I'll scan them and add them for anyone interested. 

Ah, so the 928S4 would have been an additional (peanuts) 8.3% purchase price.  And it's worth relatively peanuts, at 8.3% of an RS today.  And surely my wife's hypothesis that I'm a peanut for 'investing' in one is correct!  All clear now, thank you.;):D

For Tazzie, ANF, Dave & Russ

70138c610088bc699d6ea05fb37a32e5.jpg

Edited by KGB

The 928 died because it was an unprofitable hand made car (like Astons etc) in an era when the Japanese were absolutely smashing Porsche. Essentially , Porsche  had to delist the old players and pursue a youth policy , to use football terminology. Concentrating on their roots (sports cars) was the smartest move at the time. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/inside-story-shock-therapy-for-porsche-the-prestigious-german-car-firm-was-speeding-to-destruction-so-its-chief-swallowed-his-pride-and-hired-japans-top-consultants-to-improve-outdated-methods-of-production-john-eisenhammer-charts-the-brutal-remedies-they-prescribed-at-the-companys-plant-near-stuttgart-1411366.html

But as was stated above , the cars still run strongly after 25-35 years,  which attests to the strength of engineering and build quality in that era. And yes , we don't have to pay for crazy depreciation!

PS in ref to the pic above , 928s were designed to replace airline travel within Europe , esp Germany , as they were faster and "business class" comfortable. For businessmen , who could afford them (write them off on the business)

• 4 weeks later...

So I was reading that the majority of 964s were tiptronic convertibles,  because the only people that could afford them during that recession period were wealthy professionals who liked that particular combination. What is the breakdown for Oz delivered 964s? It's probably been posted here somewhere,  but it would be interesting to test the theory.

So I was reading that the majority of 964s were tiptronic convertibles,  because the only people that could afford them during that recession period were wealthy professionals who liked that particular combination. What is the breakdown for Oz delivered 964s? It's probably been posted here somewhere,  but it would be interesting to test the theory.

Don't know about 964's but 32% of 993's were cabs and less than half of these cabs were Tips.

that's a lot of scrap metal..

Here is a couple off build Stats: Going through some my 911/ 964 mags,An article on a hot rod build, "63000.pounds when new" The build was a C2. 

PorscheTotalSubtotalGrand total
964 C2 Coupé18,21934,39862,172[9]
964 C2 Cabrio11,013
964 C2 Targa3,534
964 C2 Cabrio turbo-look1532
964 C2 Speedster930
964 C4 Coupé13,35320,395
964 C4 Cabrio4,802
964 C4 Targa1,329
964 C4 Jubilee Coupé911
964 Turbo 3.33,6605,097
964 Turbo 3.61,437
964 Carrera RS 3.6 Coupé2,2822,282

Edited by tomo

I have looked and I have looked but for the life of me I can only see a post about:

964 Values in Australia then and now

Started by itsujack6 July

No where can I see any reference to Adam Goodes (Australian of the Year) or Porsche 928's in this heading- am I missing something or should these (including the 928 posting) go under the heading:

Not Porsche - Everything Else.

:huh:

Just asking?

LOL

Tony Dron in the April 2015 edition of Octane magazine did refer to 964's as "respectable but dull" so is it a surprise that this thread has wandered a little?

:ph34r:

Whether by design or fault Tassie and I have perfected getting off topic, but I believe Goodes is back and all is forgiven. 

Cutting the roof off of a 964 though...

Maybe timely to update with 964s currently for sale as of August 2015:

1989 C4 Manual Coupe Red 201,000km $79,000 (Carsales)

1990 C2 Manual Coupe Blue 155,000km $96,000 (Gumtree)

1990 C4 Manual Coupe Black 133,000km $110,000 (Duttons) (SOLD)

1992 RS Touring LHD Red 25,000km $POA (Duttons)

1993 C2 Manual Cab Wide Body Red 19,000km $POA (Duttons)

1993 C2 Manual Cab Grey 138,000km $60,000 (Classic Throttle Shop) (SOLD)

Anyone know of any others currently?

Aussi delivered, 1993 C2 Manual, green, 52,000kms, price...well what would you pay?

If it's in the condition of a 50,000km car, which should be near mint, and original, no or minor mods, then in todays market $120k+

$140k for a 964, get real.

As a former 964 owner I must admit that Tony Dron is not too far off the mark. The cars at least have an interior that doesn't look as if it was laid out by mechanics on their lunch break and has decent handling and climate control, but seriously $140k. 

Unless I am mistaken and there has been some movement in the last 24 hrs, the silver Carrera at AHH, the orange 74 at AHH , the beige Carrera  with 300,000 on carsales and the burgundy Carrera at CTS being the four notable cars trying to push values even more into the obscene all have failed to sell and clear cash. I think (hope) that we are starting to see optimistic pricing starting to hit on the glass ceiling?