I don’t see why hk cars would be considered a rust hazard.  It’s not like they salt the roads, and yes the city is on the ocean but then so is Sydney and half the Australian population.  Japanese imports would be riskier as they do have lots of roads that get salted.  The uk risk is rot from underneath - every time I watch an old wheeler dealers episode I get appalled at the condition of the suspension on some of the uk cars.

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

I'd say it's not that the UK cars are a bargain, it's that those AU cars are priced too high (and may have been sitting for a while on carsales)  Last reference I have of one changing hands is a black on black 964 C2 manual, aust delivered for $190k early this year.

964 as nice a car as they are, They are not a 200k drive. 

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I don’t see why hk cars would be considered a rust hazard.  It’s not like they salt the roads, and yes the city is on the ocean but then so is Sydney and half the Australian population.  Japanese imports would be riskier as they do have lots of roads that get salted.  The uk risk is rot from underneath - every time I watch an old wheeler dealers episode I get appalled at the condition of the suspension on some of the uk cars.

South Africa is another market not often discussed.   This was a Johannesburg car that the owner brought with him when he migrated to Perth.  I bought in from him in 2014, it was a very clean, RH drive, dry climate car, C2 manual.   KTEC did a PPI on it and said it was one of the cleanest they had seen. 

Might be another market to have a snoop around.

January 2014 131.JPG

4 minutes ago, DJM said:

South Africa is another market not often discussed.   This was a Johannesburg car that the owner brought with him when he migrated to Perth.  I bought in from him in 2014, it was a very clean, RH drive, dry climate car, C2 manual.   KTEC did a PPI on it and said it was one of the cleanest they had seen. 

Might be another market to have a snoop around.

January 2014 131.JPG

Now that looks lovely 

52 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I’m in the UK at the moment. The availability and prices do seem to be good here. I’ve ‘accidentally’ collected a 964 C2 and a C4 in the last few months and I’m pleased with both. 

Just wondered did you buy from dealers or private sales?

26 minutes ago, MARTY said:

Just wondered did you buy from dealers or private sales?

One from collectingcars.com and one from a dealer

The advantage of uk cars if you can find a good one is the interiors are usually in good shape because of the lack of UV and general humidity levels.  So if you can find a good uk car that was a sunny Sunday driver could be good.   Just don’t buy one sight unseen.

16 hours ago, Coastr said:

Good point re HK cars.....just urban myth then? It can get humid in HK especially in the warmer seasons but that doesn't equate to rust does it?

14 hours ago, Pilko said:

I’m in the UK at the moment. The availability and prices do seem to be good here. I’ve ‘accidentally’ collected a 964 C2 and a C4 in the last few months and I’m pleased with both. 

Are you planning on bringing them back when you return to Oz?

UK has a much bigger availability of all 911 models, much lower prices compared with Oz. Probably due to their much larger population 

15 hours ago, MARTY said:

Now that looks lovely 

So was the price, advertised $55k, bought for $51k 😊 

Those days are loooooong gone.

18 hours ago, Coastr said:

Nah - HK cars do rust. I had a Mercedes for a few years ex HK & that had rust in places where local cars are good.

It gets very wet there with storms and they dont drive their cars very far - so my theory was that they just stay damp. 

Good theory on HK cars, humidity and proximity to ocean- about the same as a Gold Coast car probably.  Although I would expect all HK cars get sorted i garages as street parking is not abundant.  

7 hours ago, Coastr said:

Good theory on HK cars, humidity and proximity to ocean- about the same as a Gold Coast car probably.  Although I would expect all HK cars get sorted i garages as street parking is not abundant.  

QFT.

also if you can afford a 911 in HK you will likely be of the financial means to have a covered car bay or garage for your car or storage facility