Betty

P-Kay

Hi PFA,

After what seemed to be the longest week and an emotional roller coaster filled with anticipation, my darling is finally home!

Like most here (I suppose) my search started circa 3 years ago with what started as a casual browse of Carsales and of course this forum, of what was being offered in the marketplace. The initial dream was a 3.2 Carrera. I kept telling my beloved 'I should go see this one' and before I made the time, they were gone. All along as time progressed thinking this is getting ridiculous, especially these prices!! So, compromises had to be made of my 'wishlist'....I could go on, but this is a far too familiar story to many of you I am sure!

Long story short, I passed on one, was directed to this one and as they say, the rest is history...

I suppose the purists will frown considering she wears different clothes and colour (both inside and out) If I was to be honest, a part of me wishes also, but I do love those hips :) ....and what can I say, the sponge just glides over those curves nicely 

I consider it a solid base to build upon and I forgot what it was like to drive a late 70's car without the modern luxuries of power steering, heating etc...but hey...that's all part of the charm! 1978 is the compliance date and originally delivered to Scuderia motors NSW. She still wears her number plates from when she came down to Melbourne in the early 80s.

I did the glass twice in preparation for my PFA window sticker which I suspect will not be too far away now!

Melbourne-20150705-00045.thumb.jpg.78137342df963c578d0b9bb464d403cd.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edgy - If I tint the windows, then I can join their crew ;)

Steve - I've lost count and sorry to say, but where she is in the driveway is where she sleeps at night all rugged up. If you look down the driveway I have my current project and in the garage is another that I am trying to sell. I sure miss the back yard to open the doors properly and wash the cars rather than a cramped driveway!

Love the look of the car! Re the purists, it is always a difficult choice. I have a clean basically stock 84 Carrera and would love to do a hot rod type car, but don't think I could use this one as a starting point!  Guess it becomes what you are happy to live with in the end.

Appreciate the kind words folks! I must admit I do love the way she looks ;)

A respray is definitely in the future for this car, primarily to address some rust spots. The question that I will be pondering for many a day is whether to put her back to the original colour. Unfortunately I cannot locate the tag anywhere and have sent an email through to Porsche (Harry). From the faint spots that I can see, it looks to be one of Minerva/Petrol or Hilios. All of which I quite like, but how can you go passed a metallic black..... 

Appreciate the kind words folks! I must admit I do love the way she looks ;)

A respray is definitely in the future for this car, primarily to address some rust spots. The question that I will be pondering for many a day is whether to put her back to the original colour. Unfortunately I cannot locate the tag anywhere and have sent an email through to Porsche (Harry). From the faint spots that I can see, it looks to be one of Minerva/Petrol or Hilios. All of which I quite like, but how can you go passed a metallic black..... 

If it was originally Minerva Blue, if you respray it, I'd be returning it to that. Love that colour.

Love how she looks right now though.

I'm quite partial to Black cars having one myself that we bare metal resto'd and took it back to its original colour.

Minerva Blue is nice for sure, yet doing a full colour change is a massive job that would cost half the price of the car to do it right if you can't do most of the prep work yourself

Thats funny P-Kay you mentioned how the sponge glides over the curves cause I used think the same way when washing my SC! Thought all these years I was just a tad wierd but seems Im not the only one.

Congrats on a great looking car.

It turns out the original colour is Petrol Blue Metallic. I totally agree that a proper change of colour is a massive job. I am quite handy with the tools and no stranger with a paint gun in my hand. Something metallic will eventually go on, just a matter of black or blue (furthest thought on my mind at the moment)

I plan to enjoy her as is for now and only take on small projrcts

RodC - That's all part of the love of the P Car (well it is for me) pampering and loving those lines. I do openly admit that I have a problem.....Cheers!

hahahahaha

My beloved asked me the same thing, thinking it was a little soft for a name. As soon as I mentioned Bambalam....the penny dropped

Cheers guys!

Welcome P-Kay, she looks great....enjoy!

Your post reminds me of my first with PFA.  I also had the dream black 911, and went so far as using 1Betty911 as my tag.  I think it might have been the second member calling me Betty in their reply which prompted a quick change of title :lol::lol::lol:

For what it's worth; I still think Spiderbait do the best version and it works perfectly alongside spirited drivingB)

Welcome P-Kay,

great looking car...sort of spooky to think our cars may have sat next to each other on the show room floor at Scuderia , 37 years ago..!!

youre going to love that car, that's one thing tom ensure of..........

enjoy..!!

Peter P

• 2 months later...

This post could have quite easily gone into the topic What did you do to your Porsche today, but figured I would keep the pictorial in one place.

I would like to start by saying a BIG thank you to those that have tread the path before and shared their experiences for the rest of us to learn and of course gratitude to PFA admin for supplying such a great site for the information to be shared! 

Now to the pics and story:

From when I purchased the car I thought it was sacrilege to paint the Fuchs gloss Silver, but since they were made into 17",  I accepted it was the done thing in the 80s/90s and was always going to be one of the many projects.

So browsing on the Sierra Madri website I came across these on sale 

Melbourne-20150917-00063.thumb.jpg.64a4127eec9fe2a47d609be7a5d650c7.jpg

Fortunately the paint had shrunk and was hard and flakey and was easily scraped off using a chisel and screwdriver (carefully of course). However the paint on the petals was bonded well. One weekends effort thus

Melbourne-20150926-00064.thumb.jpg.1d018bb5f2426c2d6ad381484cb4b45c.jpg

Thanks Kerry for the PFA sticker ;) 

Note to the novice: Resist using power tools!! I started using one of those 3M scotch type pads on the grinder but stopped half way through one wheel. Then went to the tried and tested, although slower and messier paint stripper

Following steps post paint stripper:

1. Sanding and additional scraping to remove any remaining paint.
  2. Wax and Grease remover
  3. Motospray Deoxidiser & Rust remover 
  4. Tape up the wheels with fine line first - Cheers Caledonian;)
  5. Etch Primer
  6. Several coats of Rust Guard Satin Black - Cheers 911oclock;)
  7. Sanding in-between coats - this stuff takes time to harden so read the can! Multiple coats mainly required to fill in the marks from using before mentioned power tool

Finally the beauty that is Porsche 911

Melbourne-20151003-00065.thumb.jpg.234939f9c24a3a614c6e22644b43aa97.jpg

Close up of one of the wheels. Purposefully left the face machined(aka sandpaper) and the rim polished  

Melbourne-20151003-00066_zpsnft8yat2.jpg

Archived