Betty

P-Kay

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

For some time now, I have been scouring FleeBay and the like in an effort to accumulating bits and pieces to change my exhaust. Some pieces new and others not so, (where it made sense) and have completed the transformation. Is it wrong to leave the car on stands 24+ hours longer than needed to just gaze at the stainless steel?? 

Melbourne-20160131-00148.thumb.jpg.93039ec26c854a7b3f30f4bd8f591181.jpg

Then followed by the first drive to the car wash to clean the engine???

Apart from admitting I have a problem....I am pleased it now sounds like a proper Porsche - complete with crackle ;) 

• 4 months later...

I am well and truly part way down the slippery slope!!

So, I bit the bullet and took the SC to my trusted mechanic to address an oil leak, service and adjust tappets while your there and make the exhaust tip sit proper.

The engine had to come out to locate the oil leak, which ended up as a crankcase through bolt (as suspected by them). Not to worry I explained, I can live with it for now, at least you have more room to adjust the tappets. Subsequent call informing me that I had a broken head stud :( 

Now, I always wanted to rebuild the engine, but not right now as I am at the beginning of a new house build! :wacko:

Opportunity to have a bit more oomph in the old girl and of course peace of mind that everything is new, not to mention that opening up the lid to check the oil will be a prettier picture. ;) 

Quite a bit in train and a few completed:

• bits and bobs back from hydro blasting
  • heads back from reconditioning
  • tinware back from blasters and off to powder coaters
  • plating being picked up today
  • cams off to be reground today and finalising pistons and barrel selection (still undecided) 

We all love some picks

001-HydroBlast.thumb.jpg.dde25819b02ca81dd8d6a0244aa1781b.jpg002-Heads.thumb.jpg.67973800f20350df01e164affdce1e93.jpg

OK. I'll ask.

Why Betty?

0F112FC1-CBF9-4915-A0B3-4AC60E98EDC2_zps

I'm quite partial to Black cars having one myself that we bare metal resto'd and took it back to its original colour.

Minerva Blue is nice for sure, yet doing a full colour change is a massive job that would cost half the price of the car to do it right if you can't do most of the prep work yourself

no need for it to cost as much as the car for a bare metal. If you don't bare metal you've got no idea what lurks below and quite possibly throwing good paint after bad. Original colour FTW! 

Hi PFA,

After what seemed to be the longest week and an emotional roller coaster filled with anticipation, my darling is finally home!

congrats! I too bought a 'black' 78 which is currently having its skin colour change being reversed. Enjoy and be damned what anyone else thinks. 

I need to practice patience and it is by far the area that requires the most effort!!!!

At least all that needs to be sent out is out and just need to wait for everything to come back. At the moment, the longest wait is the Piston and Barrels (3 to 4 weeks)

Pictures for your perusal:

005-Block2.thumb.jpg.d88896dd0d8097c32e4b9be9b5b35a6c.jpg

008-Inlet.thumb.jpg.1066e11629b4c5e6b115333473c9b96d.jpg

Most definitely!

I asked them to take the main caps off to see how it was fearing and considering the bearing pretty much fell out.....'while you're there'

The crank is just getting linished, and new bushes put into the rods.

Cams reground to something in between 964 and a favourite on Pelican 20/21 that is compatible with CIS. I sure envy you EFI mob!

Oversized pistons that need 3.2 barrels where both the supplier and engine builder have good experience/results Nikasil plating through their USA contacts

Did I mention slippery slope....;)

I have only driven it twice since the big SMT in January. SEVERE withdrawals!!!! I'm so excited that I can't wait! No oil leaks, no oil fumes in the cabin, pretty engine bay to look at and chamois ^_^ 

• 1 month later...

Someone received an early birthday present :) 

A few more bits to tidy in there and then it is just driving! Only the drive home tonight, but have tomorrow off and many errands to run. Hmm....wonder which car I will take? :ph34r:

014-Engine.thumb.JPG.49a0ec7f0785fe3f8323cf201517428a.JPG013-Engine.thumb.JPG.783de74fb59f3f47267d808b2e8fa558.JPG012-Engine.thumb.JPG.4416f2cb48c3df2d5b8270ccc76c58f5.JPG011-Engine.thumb.JPG.ce12e9fad604c3486f6e75127a0b1caa.JPG

She's alive!

Awesome - what's the run in procedure?

When are we going for a drive?

Ooooh! Fooking nice! I'm with GUT, when we going for a spin?

She goes back in after 1,000klm for oil change, tappet adjust and head tension check. At the moment, I am only going to 3500 ish max, just needs to be under load with the occasional hard rev.

At least I haven't got a 'running in please pass' sign like the last engine I ran in. Police pull me over with the hair dryer stating 'Mate, if that is running in, I would hate to see once it is run in!'

Mind you I have mellowed a bit since then, don't know about wiser though :blink:

Reckon we wait for Brown Betty, which should see me with the requisite klm travelled and we lock in a date. Possibly the VW thing at the blind centre late August?

• 2 years later...

Now that I can upload images again.......

Front end is next :)

No wonder I didn't enjoy driving this car over bumpy roads, the front shocks were toast! Most of the oil in them was in the strut housing :(

A arms already painted and I'll paint the struts tonight. More pics to follow prior to are-assembly.

1150417030_IMG_03891.thumb.JPG.4c96cce5b3020a52d15823afe85e55cc.JPG450707088_IMG_03831.thumb.JPG.248dc4d84bbfaba99e18daa092ab098f.JPG

Archived