2015 Bay to Birdwood and Adelaide Motorsport Festival

I have never seen a Bay to Birdwood before. (shame on me)

So this year I have entered the 930 and plan to take my Dad along on the 27th of September.

http://www.baytobirdwood.com.au/

Anybody here entering? I think the brackets this year are 1956 to 1978, classic P car years. I hope to see loads of other P cars out, while Dad is checking out the MG's.

This years entry also gets you a free ticket and free parking in the display area of the Adelaide Motorsport Festival a few weeks later.

http://www.adelaidemotorsportfestival.com.au/

Loads of 70's and 80's F1 cars (when they where interesting)

Fire up lads!

On the look for accommodation in Adelaide and also if someone would like to join me as Navigator on the Tour - Please Message me.

Anticipate arriving Wed 14 Oct leaving on Mon 19th. Hope to catch up with PFA members while there.

Cheers,Mark.

I've been getting some good offers on the little Honda all of a sudden (without even offering it for sale), so if it sells this week, I'll be making a big effort to get the 912 on the road ASAP. It's been long enough!

On the look for accommodation in Adelaide and also if someone would like to join me as Navigator on the Tour - Please Message me.

Anticipate arriving Wed 14 Oct leaving on Mon 19th. Hope to catch up with PFA members while there.

Cheers,Mark.

There is some really nice Hotels in Adelaide Mark. We normally stay at the Grand Stamford in Glenelg. Great location and car parking is pretty good....

Cheers,Mark.

There is some really nice Hotels in Adelaide Mark. We normally stay at the Grand Stamford in Glenelg. Great location and car parking is pretty good....

I hear that there is cheap Barrell Accomodation in Snowtown,only 2 hours away

spiller and SteveF PM sent. Thanks Chris-p and LeeM - nothing like at Timeline to get you motivated !

Will be focused on getting accommodation fairly close to Victoria Park.

There is some accomodation on Glen Osmond road not far from Victoria park. I know of one, Jacksons motor Inn, yet its pretty basic I believe. Its about 1km from the end of the freeway. Apart from that, I'm not sure what else would be close without being in the city at The Hilton or Hyatt

Glen Osmond Road basically runs from the bottom of the South Eastern Freeway towards the city, has many accommodation options. Would put you a short drive from Victoria Park.

Forget about Snowtown, They will bend you over a barrel and it will end up costing you an arm and a leg.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have a PFA Team entered for Classic Adelaide Tour ! 

Got in touch with Greg944 who is jumping in as Navigator to guide me through the hills. Looking forward to it and catching up with other SA members.

• 1 month later...

The Bay to Birdwood "Classic", will be staged on Sunday 27 September 2015 in Adelaide for vehicles manufactured between 1 January 1956 and 31 December 1978.

They say it is the largest gathering like it in the world? Not sure about that, but it will be a sight to behold. 

1750 Classic cars entered, less than 1% (17) are Porsches, so don't blink if you are a spectator.

All I need to do now is finish off my tartan flares!

Website

Entrants 

Schedule

Map

• 3 weeks later...

Well we have a PFA Team entered for Classic Adelaide Tour ! 

Got in touch with Greg944 who is jumping in as Navigator to guide me through the hills. Looking forward to it and catching up with other SA members.

Make that two. I will be in the tour with Mrs Racn and the Cayman R

Looking forward to a fantastic weekend

Well what a turn out! 1750 cars all up. Absolutely perfect weather and stunning cars, well, most of them anyway! Excuse some of the pics, as i havent slept for over 20 hours and it was early

This was most of the Porsche's I saw and a couple of other favourites

67 Targa. Recent resto, absolutely flawless!

20150927_075223.jpg

72 911. Recent purchase by new owner, ex Mark Buik full resto over 15 years. 200km since completion

20150927_065902.jpg

Another nice Targa, this time a 71

20150927_063003.jpg

This is a 912. I'll leave any opinions and comments to you. I aint sayin' nuthin! Has been owned for 25 years and is a converted car. 25 coats of paint apparently

20150927_072244.jpg

This 911 was very nice too. Love the colour

20150927_065222.jpg

This was cool. Sounded great too

20150927_100431.jpg

Beautiful 356

20150927_074727.jpg

And last but not least, PFA member Shady Speedway's 930. Loved it. Nice to meet ya fella

20150927_075117.jpg

Highlight for me apart from the Porsche's, was this DB6. My first time up close to one. I have no words except flawless. I am in love

20150927_073822.jpg

Another fave was this Aston Martin

20150927_071611.jpg

A couple more. 

20150927_100543.jpg

And that Targa again. Stunning car

20150927_075208.jpg

Interior

20150927_075315.jpg

What a day!

Up before 6am to get under way. Have spend days cleaning the car, but it is fueled up ready to go.

No time for breakfast, thats OK there will be bacon and eggs at the start.......

Arrive at the start after a 50km transit....... 150m line up for one BBQ cooking the bacon? Skip the bacon.....

Oh well, meet Lee, said g'day, saw many truly stunning cars and it was time to head off.....

Stop, start, stop start, stop start. My white Italian leather shoes by this point were getting a little slippery on the clutch pedal. So I reverted to socks.

Stop start stop start, after about the first 10km the temperature was getting up. The old 930 is not built to go slow and is quite grumpy at slow speeds.

The ball of my foot was getting sore at the same rate the clutch pedal bushes started groaning. The clutch is super heavy and was not built for traffic.

Temperature still rising and clutch feeling a little glossy as we headed through the suburbs.

After about 45 minutes the traffic lightened up and I got into 3rd gear finally, but once again hit the stop start stop start.

Finally we get to the hills, Road is closed, so we can all use both lanes!

Getting excited about using the throttle again, the first corner, a long climbing left hander up into the hills.

Oh yeah, revs up boost on when BANG from the right rear, car steps sideways an starts to lean heavily.

Straight away I knew it has snapped the rear right torsion bar, rear right down, front left up I limped to the next car park.

Nothing is rubbing, can't do anything about it.... spend the next 30km of winding hills road being overtaken by everything.....

Then the stop start came back. Stop start, stop start....... until we made it to the finish.

Bypassed the big finish party and crawled home.

1 Broken torsion bar, 1 clutch pedal riding high and a slightly shuddery clutch and I'm home.

Nearly 180km and used 4th gear twice.

I'll do the run again in 2 years time, but I will head off first, the traffic is no place for a 930.

Archived