Wanted GT3 996 MK1 or MK2 (CS)

hugh

Hi PFA'ers,

As some of you maybe aware I have been entertaining the idea of taking on a GT3 as my next venture into P car ownership. I've been watching the market pretty closely over the past 12 months and whilst there have been a few on the market during this time, all have now gone (from the major dealers, on-line classifieds etc.) - it would appear that none are left..................? 

Well I thought I'd use the power (and reach) of the PFA to see if any current 996 GT3 CS owners ave been thinking of letting them go and if so I would be interested to hear from you. As we have seen recently with some of the AC stuff for sale, the forum offers a great way to get people in contact, its a great platform to exchange with like minded people and without the hassle of time wasters whom generally bother you via the more mainstream methods. 

So if your thinking about it feel free to drop me a PM, ideally asap before I buy a Cayman..............or exige! :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez, it wasn't that long ago that we were discussing GT3s from as low as $89k.  Then they snuck back into low $100k range and now you can't buy one with chatter on Rennlist etc that prices are on the up.  Will be interesting to see what happens next and whether Hugh gets his prize.

as for the exige, nice, but not Hugh IMHO

i think he needs a red 997.2 GT3 CS to complement the IB Carrera

as for the exige, nice, but not Hugh IMHO

i think he needs a red 997.2 GT3 CS to complement the IB Carrera

I think your right re the Exige, hard to justify having 2 x 2 seater track cars unless it's another Porsche. :D

That red 997.2 GT3 that came up ther other week (for 24 hours) looked so good - almost thought of passing on the 964 to make it happen (it was a moments panic!) I've grown quite attached to it though and am feeling the 996 is the way to go for a few reasons...........

I read over on rennlist from a chap in Melbourne who has one that a lot of the cars selling recently have been snapped up by dealers in the UK. It does make sense given our market switched into frenzy overnight when you consider the UK prices have been high for quite a while. It's sad to consider that our low start numbers of approx 180 .1 and .2 cars total is dwindling even more after subtracting those that have been written off or turned into race cars etc :(

i will keep my eyes peeled for you Hugh and wish you luck in your search.

Cayman S. Lotta car for relatively little money ;)

Totally agree. I would be wanting a 981 though so similar ballpark to GT3 coin. Only problem is they are such a pretty car I wouldn't want to touch it, 996 on the other hand allows some wiggle room for mods.;)

Its been very hard to keep restrained with the 964, hence I need a new project.................

That white and black MK1 the other week would have fit the bill nicely...she went quick!

Would you be interested in bringing a track car back to the road?

Or looking for a good clean original example?

I look forward to seeing what you get!

Hi Hugh,

If you want a project (low cost entry) what about 1 of 80 RHD Aus Del 996 GT3s: ex Nations Cup?

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/p/4/id/15878

p.s hope you get a GT3, would love to see how you would "modify" your 996, e.g your 964 & 3.0 look sensational.

Windsor,

Funny you post this, I've been wondering about that possibility too. 

What would you reckon it would cost to get it to a point where it could be registered?

Cheers

Peter

Retaining the 964 or riding the wave?  I reckon the increase in value of your 964 in gross terms mirrors, or in fact could be greater than, the increase in value of a 996GT3 in the time you've owned it?

Will be watching this thread with interest. I only know of the one Hugh. :ph34r: 

But if I hear of another, I'll let you know. 

Track only (non-complied import???)

Was on the market 6-12 months ago.  Not sure what the go is with the club plates...

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/AGC-AD-17026127?WT.seg_4

Now those E88's are a SWEET wheel! :wub:

Track only (non-complied import???)

Was on the market 6-12 months ago.  Not sure what the go is with the club plates...

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/_/AGC-AD-17026127?WT.seg_4

Correct, is a UK car and has been advertised elsewhere for sometime at 55k. 

Will be watching this thread with interest. I only know of the one Hugh. :ph34r: 

But if I hear of another, I'll let you know. 

If the one your thinking of belongs to a member on here its not available any more due to a change of heart. ;)

Windsor,

Funny you post this, I've been wondering about that possibility too. 

What would you reckon it would cost to get it to a point where it could be registered?

Cheers

Peter

Its a good question Peter, I haven't been able to obtain an answer. The current owner doesn't believe it can be registered, I'd like to know what it would take as it seems a cheap entry point if your looking for a 'minter' car. 

Surprised the UK one above has jumped to 70k - makes it look like even more of a bargain. 

Now that you're actively chasing one, have you considered leaving your details with any of the renowned gt3 shops like RSR, AH, PR tech etc? 

I have spoken with Rob @ RSR and Simon @ AH, stock is very scarce both have a number of people chasing them. The power of the PFA community was my next step. :)

Its a good question Peter, I haven't been able to obtain an answer. The current owner doesn't believe it can be registered, I'd like to know what it would take as it seems a cheap entry point if your looking for a 'minter' car. 

Surprised the UK one above has jumped to 70k - makes it look like even more of a bargain. 

Hi Peter & Hugh,

By the VIN ( WPOZZZ99ZY5691068) looks like genuine ROW GT3, so you would think if it's not to modified\butchered/damaged, you should be able to get it registered ?                                                                                     

I have heard other Nations cup GT3 have become road cars, If you could buy it at <$50K, you would have to think it could make economical ($s) sense.

This one (more $s + Road registered) is also Aus Del. 996 GT3 (WPOZZZ99ZYS690204), ex Nations cup:  http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/p/3/k/gt3/id/13881

p.s. if anyone can make it work, I have the feeling Hugh may be the one.

^^^ that car at 95K just isnt worth it going by the current market IMO. A 996 cup is 50K, a street car is 100K. Id have that nations cup car at 80 tops given it has potential to be re-registered. Definitely a worthwhile exercise if you can get it at the right price. Im sure its had the usual open cheque book applied like many other GT3 racers

Did I see a yellow 996 GT3 with scaffolding at RSR this a.m.?

Most likely, I know he has been expecting one in speed yellow. Expected pricing at around 130k if anyone's interested. 

Hi Peter & Hugh,

By the VIN ( WPOZZZ99ZY5691068) looks like genuine ROW GT3, so you would think if it's not to modified\butchered/damaged, you should be able to get it registered ?                                                                                     

I have heard other Nations cup GT3 have become road cars, If you could buy it at <$50K, you would have to think it could make economical ($s) sense.

This one (more $s + Road registered) is also Aus Del. 996 GT3 (WPOZZZ99ZYS690204), ex Nations cup:  http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/p/3/k/gt3/id/13881

p.s. if anyone can make it work, I have the feeling Hugh may be the one.

I don't think an ROW vin means anything in terms of register-abilty here.

If it were brought in under race/rally approval you have no chance (legally)...it needs to be aus delivered and complied, or a personal import that was given compliance.

If some cars, like the 2nd one possibly, were built originally from aus delivered/complied cars then you could.

Archived