Engine options for 75 911s

privatepang

Been wrestling with options as to whether to replace my 2.7 or rebuild it. Got a few quotes to rebuild and its been pretty scary so tending towards a swap. Ill still be keeping original motor stored away as its number matching. 

Now had a search on pp to see what people recommend but hoping to get some aussie feedback.  3.2 or 3.0 ? Understant the 3.0 is the easier swap but eventually id like to track the car and be competitive with modern cars so wondering if its worth the additional hassle of spending the extra $ on the 3.2 ? It has to stay streetable so wont be doing anything too crazy. Also been hard to source engines locally. Do most people source them from the states ?

Thoughts ?

You'll likely have to rebuild the new engine anyway so it's going to be double the cost. What was the engine rebuild quote and what did it include? If includes Pistons and barrels, spending a little extra on these and making a short stroke 2.9L or something might be a bit of fun. 

if you do swap I wouldn't bother keeping the original motor- yours is an import from memory? Sell it to offset the cost :)

even with 3.2 won't be that competitive with modern cars. But will be fun

Yea import and true about cost but don't think 2.7s r worth selling ? 

Got a rough quote of over 20k for rebuild to average specs and 30k+ for rs spec. Given the garage hadnt seen my engine and condition at all, it was a very very rough quote but at that sort of money, would really need to have a strong think about what id want to do with the car... 

buy a cheap 3.0 and slot it in, and rebuild the 2.7 yourself and sell the 3.0 when it's all done?

the amount of people now rebuilding their own engines (particuarly on this forum) there's a wealth of information/knowlege, and there's a few good books worth reading on the subject

911 Performance Handbook
How to rebuild and modify Porsche 911 Engines
101 Projects for your Porsche 911
(there's an amazon deal to buy all three for $73 too)

Hope you don't mind if I ask, why have you decided to rebuild your engine?

Yea I have wayne dempseys book on how to rebuild an engine and not being very mechanically experienced, process does scare me. Engine from the day I bought it has been leaking oil and ive had a fair few mechanics look at it and try and minimise the leakage and same answer most of the time telling me that id have to split the case. Tried replacong valve covers, valve cover gaskets etc. Would like a bit more power as well a tbh a high revving 2.7 really appeals to me but yea cost is the issue. 

Id like to also track the car without worrying about spilling oil all over the track lol.

Clutchmonkey, I got a wrx that I can track but not the same as driving the porker in terms of feel. Done the evo thing in the past and that got boring really quick lol. 

Id hold onto your old motor if you have the space... I wouldnt sell it now as itll just become more and more desirable.

There was a 3.0 floating around on gumtree, apparently completely rebuilt for 15k. Ill try and find the link.

Hard to say whether importing from the states is viable at the moment, what with this dollar, but its also predicted to get worse... keep the 2.7. Rebuild when the AUD is strong again haha

Note: Sorry, not rebuilt. But very low KMS... not sure if thats a good thing or not haha.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/salisbury-south/engine-engine-parts-transmission/porsche-3-0l-engine/1082201348

i actually don't think the estimate is that un-realistic for a profesionally re-built and warranted engine.

the problem comes when you start to tick a few boxes, nicer cams, a bit of head work, NICKIES cylinders and custom JE pistons, where do you stop ?

lucky you are not running MFI, now that is scary expensive rebuild territory ...

also try Simon Greenwood at Autowerks on the Central Coast, he is re-building a SC motor for a customer at the moment.

regards

From what I briefly fread there is that only for an exchange engine?

I am in the same boat as you, and I am going to rebuild the engine myself. I just got Wayne's book, and it is a good read. Take it step by step and enjoy the process. Imagine how good it will feel driving an engine you built from the ground up. 

From what I briefly fread there is that only for an exchange engine?

I am in the same boat as you, and I am going to rebuild the engine myself. I just got Wayne's book, and it is a good read. Take it step by step and enjoy the process. Imagine how good it will feel driving an engine you built from the ground up. 

Not if you pay the "core" charge (which you have to pay anyway & then its refunded when they receive your engine) obviously we wouldn't send back an engine from oz, So no refund just the full price.

Not too bad a deal then. Although is that just a bare engine? Do you then have to source all of your own fuel system, or do you then just try to bolt on your old 2.7 CIS. 

I've read about those before.

fun fact, Porsche did try and get the. 911 engine certified for aircraft.  Not sure if it happened in the end, but they are a bit pricey compared to old workhorses like the lycoming.

It did happen.  It was based on the 3.2 motor, with gear driven cams and other goodies, so I'm told.

Apparently Porsche are keen to get them out of the air and have offered owners a very generous buy-back deal to avoid potential liabilty issues.

Appologies for hijacking the thread, btw

Back to the task - the problem with an engine swap is you're unlikely to find a fresh engine to install however it's marketed. Is it reasonable to expect that the new 3.0l or 3.2l you've just bought for $10-15k has just completed a $15-20k top end rebuild? Probably more likely that you're swapping a tired engine with another tired engine, as Dempsey says over and over.

I think I'd rebuild your current engine, seems like a neater option for my 2 cents. 

Archived