Show us your Motorcyle(s)

2 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Not to mention a sidecar on a Ducati 

And that! ?

Funny you guys mention the K100, as the guy who used to sponsor me said if I win the state title, he'll take a dusty old K100 that had been sitting in his shop for years and do a race meeting on it. Well I won the title and he never honoured the bet. Bastard, as that would have been hilarious to watch ?

8 minutes ago, LeeM said:

And that! ?

Funny you guys mention the K100, as the guy who used to sponsor me said if I win the state title, he'll take a dusty old K100 that had been sitting in his shop for years and do a race meeting on it. Well I won the title and he never honoured the bet. Bastard, as that would have been hilarious to watch ?

Of all the bikes I’ve owned, and even though it tried to kill me once,the K is the one I wish that I still had, to ride sensibly ,not tare  around on and not to just look at.

47 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Of all the bikes I’ve owned, and even though it tried to kill me once,the K is the one I wish that I still had, to ride sensibly ,not tare  around on and not to just look at.

A good mate used to have one (I was on my XJ900 back then) and geez we covered a lot of k’s. I remember if you left those K100’s on the side stand and start em up you got a nice little smoke screen behind you... a bit like the GT3 when you don’t give them enough attention and leave em in the shed ?

3 hours ago, 9r said:

A good mate used to have one (I was on my XJ900 back then) and geez we covered a lot of k’s. I remember if you left those K100’s on the side stand and start em up you got a nice little smoke screen behind you... a bit like the GT3 when you don’t give them enough attention and leave em in the shed ?

Yep that's correct but they fixed that on the K1100. My old K100 used to do that as well.

Hey Lee

Just for you     http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/bmw.html?

3 hours ago, 9r said:

I remember if you left those K100’s on the side stand and start em up you got a nice little smoke screen behind you... a bit like the GT3 when you don’t give them enough attention and leave em in the shed ?

Always found that amazing that they didn't think of that when they designed them.  "Han's, let's put the crank on the LHS so that it doesn't smoke after it's been left on the side stand."

I guess there must be a good reason for why they did it that way but I can't think what it would be.  Does anyone know?

22 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Always found that amazing that they didn't think of that when they designed them.  "Han's, let's put the crank on the LHS so that it doesn't smoke after it's been left on the side stand."

I guess there must be a good reason for why they did it that way but I can't think what it would be.  Does anyone know?

Keep doing what your doin Hans, after 130,000 Kms mine still didn’t need a valve adjustment, I have a brand new shim kit in my draw, never used on mine, but used on a couple that had been  “serviced” to bring them back to how they left the factory. Every inlet and exhaust shim were the same value as each other 

12 minutes ago, Peter M said:

But Steve wouldn't the cam boxes drain completely into the sump so having the crank left or right wouldn't effect how lubricated the valvetrain would be on start up?

I've never seen inside a K motor so I have to ask!

Yes, but I think it’s just a byproduct of any flat motor, never met one that didn’t occasionally have a little oil run down the valves into combustion chamber and announce its presence 

Ah, I've been thinking the smoke from start up comes from oil settling in the bores and the rings not coping for the first couple of revolutions until there is combustion pressure to hold them in close contact with the bores.

If the issue was oil running down the valve stems, surely normal (ie vertically configured) engines would smoke more on start up than our horizontal ones? 

18 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Ah, I've been thinking the smoke from start up comes from oil settling in the bores and the rings not coping for the first couple of revolutions until there is combustion pressure to hold them in close contact with the bores.

If the issue was oil running down the valve stems, surely normal (ie vertically configured) engines would smoke more on start up than our horizontal ones? 

Possibly because a vertical head drains better

24 minutes ago, Peter M said:

The two drains on the K head are pretty big and low in the head so you wouldn't think so.

http://www.k100-forum.com/viewimage.forum?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.servimg.com%2Fu%2Ff41%2F16%2F41%2F77%2F81%2Fimg_2211.jpg

May be right, Adam and Jamie  have retired, so we can’t get the real myth busters on the case 

On 7/21/2015 at 1:10 PM, KGB said:

IMG_0738_zpsabrixvid.jpg

2009 Ducati Sport Classic.  3 years into our affair...

Wanted one of those for years. Silly to decide to stop the run on these beauties

On 7/21/2015 at 1:10 PM, KGB said:

IMG_0738_zpsabrixvid.jpg

2009 Ducati Sport Classic.  3 years into our affair...

16 minutes ago, Doish13 said:

Wanted one of those for years. Silly to decide to stop the run on these beauties

Same here, one of my favourite bikes. A friend in Melbourne has the same bike in red, though if I was in the market for one, I'd have to go with the silver with green frame. Not sure I'd fit one one comfortably being over 6 foot. 

@3legs Not much BMW left there mate ? I can't remember his name, but a bloke I know built and raced a BMW of some sort here in 2003/4 and everyone laughed at him when he rolled up with it. Knowing how good a rider he was, I knew he'd be quick, but he flogged a lot of haters. There have been a few racing BMW's built in Europe, including a series just for them that was hugely popular and had ex 500cc go star Randy Mamola riding, yet not having ridden one I can't judge what they'd be like to race. 

All this talk of racing is making me look on Gumtree and Bikesales.com! (Some cheap TRX's on there too ?)

19 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Don't do it Lee. 

You know you and guard rails don't like each other? (or was it a rockface)

Safer to ride a bike on the track than a Porsche in the hills mate. No insurance on the track ? ( it was a guard rail smartass ?)

I'll never race again, as A, I can't be bothered. B, my personal insurance won't cover me even for a track day (no work no money) and C, it costs waaaaay too much to be competitive nowadays. I only spoke to an old mate a week or two ago and he said he has to stop because he just can't afford it anymore. Even an old hero of mine Robbie Phillis said his son has to stop because it's too expensive, and he's a bloody good rider who rode at the Suzuka 8 Hour this year and was paid pittance. I wouldn't want to just make up the grid numbers, as I'm too competitive with sport and would only be there to win. I've been offered small rides in the past coupla years, but the heart just isn't into it anymore. Shit, I'm so lazy now that even a manual car annoys me!  ??

On 10/7/2018 at 10:11 PM, LeeM said:

Same here, one of my favourite bikes. A friend in Melbourne has the same bike in red, though if I was in the market for one, I'd have to go with the silver with green frame. Not sure I'd fit one one comfortably being over 6 foot. 

Paul Smart model is the green frame, comes with Ohlins, about $10k more.  They are a tight fit if you’re 6ft+, fitted adjustable rear sets to mine, helped but not a cure.  Put an Andreani fork kit into it also, huge improvement over the stock non adjustable garbage. Bit of simple retro air cooled fun. Everyone should have one.

41 minutes ago, KGB said:

Paul Smart model is the green frame, comes with Ohlins, about $10k more.  They are a tight fit if you’re 6ft+, fitted adjustable rear sets to mine, helped but not a cure.  Put an Andreani fork kit into it also, huge improvement over the stock non adjustable garbage. Bit of simple retro air cooled fun. Everyone should have one.

My Monoposto is for sale if anyone is interested...  https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/details/2006-Ducati-Sport-1000-Sport-Monoposto/SSE-AD-5140766/?_ga=2.64959919.1476667666.1539067209-1113947830.1500001812