Show us your Motorcyle(s)

I just had to go sniff the Castrol R40 bottle in the shed , shit you guys are murder.. back to Rehab for me ,  I thought I was on the straight and narrow when I got on to the Semi Synth Silkolene .

Where would this world be without Petrol 

Yeah, that was an experience I'll never forget! It was a reward for winning the SA Thunderbike title in 99, and the owner who I had met coupla times was told about it, then he offered me a ride. SOOOO light with manic huge power, and if you farted it changed direction! Everything just unobtanium with a power curve that was sorta Ducati torque with Japanese outright power. Rumours were the owner paid $150k for the basic bike with a few spares. Makes sense, as he rolled up in a Lambo with a HUGE truck colour matched to his Lambo! I also heard later one day that it was totalled at a track day by the owner (carthweeled at Eastern Creek turn One), and the engine was broken up and sold for 'development' by some bloke into Ducati's. Just the forks without brakes were $50k! Think I shed a tear when I was told. You have NO idea how easy those factory bikes are to ride. I can clearly remember smiling and laughing like an idiot whilst riding it on a private test day. Even shaking my head as I hit the main straight into 4th gear thinking 'I am not worhty'!

I did a 36 at the Creek on the 4th lap of riding that thing, when my previous PB was a 38.6 on a 180hp FZ1 Nakedbike I was racing for a team. I could have raced it, but he wanted $5k per meeting, and a 'Bend it you mend it' agreement'. I didnt have $500 at the time, so that wasn't an option

Sorry, I'm ranting. Back on topic

Nuthin wrong with that! ;)

Having ridden and owned around 80 Jap bikes. I saw the light after riding a Ducati. Until you have experienced it, you'll never know

I'm a Ducati man through and through 

I know where two gull wings are , one with fairing one without …if Japs your thing

I have to say getting back on the Hypermotard , although no the most stylsh Duke , it brought back memories of the 520 KTM and various other dirtbikes , yet has plenty to take you to the 200kmh barrier and stops good , a very very nice bike experience , got me back into one after 5 years of no bikes , that said , I have only done 5000kms since 2009 on it . makes for a good Latte run when thres no parking of the 4 wheel variety 

My Triumph Street Triple R. Oh, and that's my boy who is adamant that he is old enough to ride my bike at 300k's and that's okay because the police won't be able to catch him:( 

striple_zpssldolh0x.jpg

Do scoots count

URL]_57-19_zpsuxuae01c.jpg?t=1437364755

This thing looks like it has cup wheels

I used to have a small collection of English bikes.  1910 Douglas 2 3/4 hp, 1912 Bradbury 3 1/2 hp, 1915 Triumph Model H, 1929 BSA 2 1/4 hp side valve, 1929 BSA 500cc "Sloper" with dusting sidecar, 1938 Excelsior Manxman 500cc OHC, 1953 BSA B31 with fibreglass replica Dusting sidecar (with B33 barrel, head & Gold Star cams), & a 1954 Roamer 122cc (Villiers engine).  Motorbikes are so anti-social when you have a young family.  Of all of them, I wish I kept the Manxman.  That was a superbike in it's day.

Bid on a 996 last night but came second.

Wife is happy about the prospect provided I "..don't hurt myself..."

(Had a Katana 1100 and later a GSXR1100 when we first met so she knew what she was getting into.)

Edited by Peter M

I also had a 1980 Kawasaki Z250, then a Z500.  The 250 was rubbish.  The 500 was a great bike.  A couple of years ago my son had an import Honda CBR250RR.  My god!  Compared to what I was used to riding that thing was pretty slick for a 250.  I rode it quite a bit, and often had the front wheel up, by accident.

There is another one on Bikesales for $7,900 with 20,000 that needs the wheels repainted and  ducktail repaired and repainted too.

I guess the low prices are the result of the short model lives that Ducati adopted in the 90's. 

Good thing for middle aged blokes who live in the past!

Edited by Peter M
Faulty memory

WHAT?? Under $7k for a 996??? Jeebus H that is cheap for a helluva bike!!

As for the Katana's Pete, I'm a big fan of those old things. I have owned 6 in total over the years.

3 x 1100's, one that had a 1260 kit in it (9.6 1/4 mile), 1 old style 750 and 1 pop up headlight 750 (POS that thing) and a very rare 1000cc wire wheel model. Will try and find some old pics in the pre digital age 'photo albums'. I was looking around for a cheap Kat to restore last year, yet theyre fetching big bucks now for junk.

Lee,

There is only one other bike I would rather own than a 916/996/998 and that is a McIntosh Suzuki but another Kat would be nice.

When I was a young whippersnapper with a VF750FD and later a GSXR750 (the Castrol 6hr influence is evident!) I couldn't imagine why anyone would want a 1100 Katana.  An absolute dinosaur was my view.  However when I came back to bikes in my thirties my views had changed and I bought one and absolutely loved it.  Unfortunately I started doing track days and it was in to good of condition for that purpose and I swapped it for an early model GSXR1100 that I stripped down and would just trailer to the track.  I now regret that I sold the Katana especially since my wife told me not to and just push it to the back of the shed!  It was pristine, had a Wiseco big bore kit and a Megacycle that used to drag too easily and sold for $3,200.

I agree good Kat's are not a No. 1 buy anymore, particularly when I've always wanted a Ducati and 996's are so cheap. 

Keen to see some of your "dinosaur" photo's!  

Edited by Peter M

• 3 months later...