Here it is today

Well, I picked it up today & I'm very happy to say the least. Manual of course, PASM 20mm lowered, heated seats,dark windows, rear wiper delete. It drives really differently to the previous 991 Carrera S. Gear shift is really different in that the change action is quicker & more direct, there was nothing wrong with the Carrera S change before but this is lighter & quicker. One of the most notable changes is the steering, I've  driven the new GT3's & this is very much like that, more akin to the hydraulic 997.2 & i didn't have an issue with the Carrera S steering despite the bitching press about electric steering. Even though i now have 220klms on the clock it does rev more freely than the Carrera S, can't wait until it's run in.

IMG_1222_zpsambovmem.jpg

IMG_0789_zpsklbsxdy0.jpg

IMG_0790_zps1g7nxfih.jpg

Please tell me that is Guards Red and it is making a comeback!  The black detailing just makes it!

Hi Coastr, it's Carmine red, doesn't seem to matter what light you take a photo in the colour always looks like Guards Red. The Carmine Red is much darker than it looks. I never thought I'd own a red car but I absolutely love it.

I think we need to go for another drive Greg... 

Congrats mate, its gorgeous! :) 

yes, another drive is definitely on the cards, I found some new roads too. I'll give you a PM in a couple of weeks & organise something.

I had a day off work today to play with the new toy, very self indulgent. I put mesh behind all the openings in the front bar to protect all three radiators. I don't understand Porsche thinking sometimes, cars got three radiators just like a GT3, GT3 gets mesh as standard but Carreras get a whole heap of openings looking to catch rocks? The mesh cost $29 to do the whole job & about 4 hours labour to do a proper job. Also applied the Permanon paint treatment as well, fitted the fire extinguisher out of the 997.2, the bracket was a perfect fit so obviously it's the same seat tracks. After that I had to go for a little drive, my god, the noise from the exhaust is so addictive, around 3,000rpm the note changes to a barking howl, I'm not going above 4,500 rpm until it's run in around 3,500klms. This is a very different car to the previous Carrera S, given the GTS looks like a spec'd up S on paper the reality is it comes together as a bit more than the sum of its parts. 

Hey Greg, where did you get the mesh from and how did you install it?

I want to do the same to my Cayman when I get it.

Garry

Garry,

You can buy the mesh online from supercheap auto, it's about $28 if you pick it up or $34 delivered. The sheet is 1200mm long by 300mm, comes in black or silver. The GTS needed about half the sheet. I make a cardboard template of the opening then cut the mesh to size with tin snips. You only need to make the templates for one side of the car as the other side is mirror reverse. You might have to f%#k around with the cardboard templates but getting it perfect is worth the effort. If you want you can remove the front bar & do it from behind the bar but I have found its just as easy from the front without removing the bar. I use black zip ties to secure the mesh, I'll take some photos on the weekend & post them, it's easier than explaining. One other thing, I have monitored the engine oil & water temps before & after & there is no change in operating temps so the mesh does not impact air flow.

Archived