Holden captiva - good car or POS?

Early last year my dad bought a 2012 top spec Holden Captiva V6 auto.  Nice car to drive and to ride in.  Recently the MIL light started to come on and stay on.  He said it was a bit rough at highway speeds but no notable difference when city driving.   So he took it to the dealer, and they said the cats are probably blocked and will need replacing. They quoted him something like $2500 to replace them. Apparently it was showing an error p0420.  When he told me I said bullshyte, take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion, which he did.  They said injectors may be faulty and quoted him 2 weeks before they could get it done.  As he's going away this Tuesday he said he'd wait till he got home.  Then, on Thursday, he was driving on the Southern Expressway (100kph) and he heard and felt this massive bang.  They thought they'd been hit from behind by another car, but there was no other cars around.  Then he lost power.  The engine cut out and restarted.  He managed to get the short distance home with it.  Rang the dealer straight away, and took it in yesterday.  They said the trans is f*#ked and needs replacing.  Over $6000.  The car is just 3 months out of warranty.  The dealer is going to try to get Holdens to replace the trans and pay for the loan car FOC.  A 76 year old guy doesn't need this kind of crap.

Now he's asking me what he should do.  Get rid of it or keep it.  I said I'd be getting rid of it.  To me it's a bit of a no-brainer, but what are your thoughts?  I said maybe he should by a Mercedes Benz. He's kind of a fan of Merc's.  Had a couple in the past, including a 500SLC.  I've been looking at the C250 Sport Coupe, but he likes cars with 4 doors.

If Holden don't come to the party go straight to fair trading they had Kia replaced an entire motor in a carnival that had only done 40k in five years and 2 years out of warranty. NRMA were useless and wiped there hands of it 

I have read some rather ordinary reports about them.

Yes tony, that's what I told my dad. There was also something on Today Tonight or similar recently about the problems with the Captiva and Holden's after sales care, or lack of.  I told him he should also contact them if he doesn't have any joy.  Credit where credit is due though, the service manager sounds like he's pushing hard to get Holden to cover the replacement trans and labour, but said they may not cover the cost of the loan car.   I told dad to take the loan car back on Monday and get them to run him home.  He's away for a week or so anyway after that so he won't need it. 

Apparently Holden have 1000's of new ones sitting waiting to be sold.  This is what happens when you rush a product to market.

Stew, you're on the money........get rid of it and get a merc.....the compnsyi work for has a fleet of these things ( must have got a cracking deal); I have driven a few of them and they are pretty much rubbish.

I'd be looking at anything Toyota Stew. Earlier Cayenne or Touareg maybe? I know theyre basically the same thing, but ya don't seem to hear many problems with them

The C250 would be nice though

The Captiva is a assembled from parts out of the Daewoo factory. Nobody would buy one if they sold them as Daewoo brand so they flog them as Holden and people expect a bit more quality than what they end up with. Unfortunately.

Car sounds like trouble, I'd move it on.  Don't know that I'd agree mercs are a lot better from recent experience.

Are mercs now made in South Africa and just as unreliable??

I'm pretty sure it's an old wives tale that non-German assembly means lower quality.  You don't make investments in the hundreds of millions and then ignore quality control.  The systems are such that the human element has less of an input.

Being a geriatric jerry I'd say he's quite likely to go back to a car from the farzerland.  when he gets back from holiday I'll sit down with him and help him work something out.  Toureg might be a good option  but maybe a bit big.  What is the tiguan  like?

Car sounds like trouble, I'd move it on.  Don't know that I'd agree mercs are a lot better from recent experience.

I'm pretty sure it's an old wives tale that non-German assembly means lower quality.  You don't make investments in the hundreds of millions and then ignore quality control.  The systems are such that the human element has less of an input.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/consumer-reports-mercedes-benz-cla-worst-car-in-lineup-2014-10

Being a geriatric jerry I'd say he's quite likely to go back to a car from the farzerland.  when he gets back from holiday I'll sit down with him and help him work something out.  Toureg might be a good option  but maybe a bit big.  What is the tiguan  like?

the wife has an Audi sq5. Highly recommend it so assume the q5 would also be an excellent car. Q3 is a little small and the q7 way too big for us. The parent company is bound to produce good cars at better value, but I would always buy second hand and let someone else take the first hit of depreciation.

mmm. You probably don't know that Volkswagen, Audi and Mercedes all manufacture cars out of China that are exclusively sold into the Chinese market because the parent company thinks they are shit. Companies manufacture overseas to save money and with that goes quality unfortunately. 

My wife used to be marketing manager at Audi so knew all of the horror stories and mercs have had huge issues the more computerised they have got. 

My favourite story however was from Germany. The car unions there are very strong and had negotiated 'beer breaks' for workers. Now that's quality control ;)

Yeah I went on the BMW factory tour in Munich (highly recommended!) 

they started us off in the lunchroom, and told us to help ourselves to refreshments in the company canteen while we were there.  Imagine my surprise when the drink fountain included a selection of Bavarian beers.

the tour guide assured us they were light beer and there was a max limit.

The thing with places like China, and the South American countries, like Brazil for example, is there is a limit on foreign ownership. 45% I think.  So joint ventures are set up.  Shanghai VW group for example. To get your brand in there often means you need to set up a plant there. Not only cars, but other machinery as well. 

Benz in South Africa produce RHD C Class & LHD C Class for the US market.

Id have to agree with the aforementioned suggestion that Toyota is the best way forward or your dad. The Lexus RX is very very good (especially the Hybrid) and there is great value on the near new used market. They may not have the driver appeal of the Germans they are built around quality and reliability, their post 5 year ownership experiences are far superior to Audi/ BMW/ MBs (this is important as the critical out of warranty costs tend to hit hard around this time).

If your budget can't make an RX then the new smaller NX is an option or Kluger (which is made in line on the same plant and platform as the RX) are excellent cars.

Oh, for the record I have worked in senior roles for both Toyota AP and VW group Asia so I have the benefit of a broad multi-market view on this. We have 4 Hybrid Lexus in the family (that all replaced VAG products in the past 36 months).....and a Volvo!

nb. Want an example of just how expensive a 7 year Audi can rack up a maintenance bill, I've seen a 90,000km,  A6 4.2Quattro with $35,000 of service bills in it's 7th year!

The Captiva is a assembled from parts out of the Daewoo factory. Nobody would buy one if they sold them as Daewoo brand so they flog them as Holden and people expect a bit more quality than what they end up with. Unfortunately.

And this is how urban myths start.............................

Not defending the Captiva, its our daily drive in Singapore (no option in this - wanted an Insignia but none available at the time - 991 wouldnt be viable). I personally dont like them and their reputation isnt the best. I would be writing to the MD of Holden expressing your "disappointment" dont just let the dealer handle this.

Oh maybe take it up with Joanne Markham too, Director of Warranty and Quality, especially if the car has been maintained and serviced by a dealer.

Archived