964 rear deck lid on a G series

SteveT

Hi people who know stuff,

I received a rear deck lid yesterday for my G series (1976) targa. Thanks Tit, you were a great help in the process and did all the work.

Now I have to make it fit. Apparently the hinge spacing is slightly different and the latch mechanism needs to be swapped over. From what I have read the 964 hinges are a little closer together and a simple spacer for each bolt of around 25 mm should fix that issue.

Anyone got any helpful hints or info on such a swap?

And does anyone want a G series rear deck lid with rubber tea tray whale tail?

Hi people who know stuff,

I received a rear deck lid yesterday for my G series (1976) targa. Thanks Tit, you were a great help in the process and did all the work.

Now I have to make it fit. Apparently the hinge spacing is slightly different and the latch mechanism needs to be swapped over. From what I have read the 964 hinges are a little closer together and a simple spacer for each bolt of around 25 mm should fix that issue.

Anyone got any helpful hints or info on such a swap?

And does anyone want a G series rear deck lid with rubber tea tray whale tail?

If they are closer together on the 964 lid you're in business.  If you send me a drawing of the face of the hinge that mounts to the car, and the distance between the faces, and maybe a couple of photos, I can design a spacer for you.  As far as the latch goes, i don't know.

And remember, we want to see photos.

Hey Steve, I was just digging around on the web.  Not as easy as just spacers.  Check out this thread on PP.  http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/151592-help-installing-964-decklid-early-car-hinges-wiring.html

Wow, seems like he is still building those hinges after 10 years.  You'd have to think about getting in contact with him.

Yes, he's still welding them up. Alternative is a simple angle iron bracket with suitably placed holes as per Rennlist forum. I am still trying to set up and get my Pelican forum login sorted to contact Matt re his hinges.

Matt is up to US$235 plus postage, might try the angle iron bracket.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt from the Pelican forum now charges USD350 for a pair of hinges. I might have a go at modifying mine after all. Or get someone to have a go using the info and pics from Pelican forum.

Archived