964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

So some guys on a multi denominational forum pointed me in this direction. :) Thought I might share a bit of my entry onto the world of Porsche. Have had a varied history of performance road, track and tarmac rally cars but thought given i had sketched 911 silhouettes on my school books, it was time I found out what 911's were all about. I really wasn't interested in anything collectible (original Australian delivered, low mileage, matching no's etc) as I wanted to feel free to modify it and put plenty of kms on it. So I popped a post on scumtree looking for  a hotrod style 911 coupe. Among a few responses something popped up that fitted the bill. Australian delivered RHD 74 911S that had been turned into a bit of a 964 RSR clone. Wide bodied, 964 3.6 engine with full rebuild, big red brakes, konis, torsion bars, sway bars. roll cage etc etc. Was a solid starting point with much of the work done. Was a comprehensive build completed by T and D in Brisbane in 2010. 

Current pic of the car below. 

image_5.jpg

Plans are to shed some weight from it via fibreglass panels and a few other strategies and add a little HP via some independent throttle bodies with a MoTeC ECU for the tune which should complement the RS cams and fabspeed exhaust already in it. Have got the Jenveys and have a local CNC company working on some adaptors similar to the Rothsport Kit to adapt the 964 intake plenum. Might try to set up the air filter as per a recent singer image (sans the hollywood bling finish :) ) I spotted and fit an oval filter between the plenums. Might be a bit of a challenge with the resonance flap on the 964 plenum.

CT-5330_ayvq0j.jpg

Also some wheels to fill the guards a bit with better rubber selecction than the 17's on it. Don't like the full Rauh Welt stuff in its entirety, I reckon its a bit over the top, but I do like the JDM wheels. So I have some 18 x 9 and 18 x 11 SSR Professor SP1 on the way. 

10590542_10152641144954439_5460796273927

And will finish off by making the cockpit a little more ergonimic. Just installed a momo wheel with 70mm offset to bring it closer and have a WEVO shifter in the race length coming. Also keen to tidy up the dash. Dash pad is suffering the usual cracking. Probably go for something in fibreglass to shed some weight and cover it in alcantara. The rest of the interior is quite good with race seats, lightweight carpet and colour coded full CAMS roll cage with bolt out side intrusion. 

Would be happy with this kind of look, sans the OTT rear wing and canards and splitter, and maybe not quite so "hella flush" as it will be a track car so needs to have workable clearance. 

porscha.jpg

Edited by Teutonic

Might try to set up the air filter as per a recent singer image (sans the hollywood bling finish :) ) I spotted and fit an oval filter between the plenums. Might be a bit of a challenge with the resonance flap on the 964 plenum.

Like this perhaps?

G0cR4v-2OmOM-Fm8IgEh18dnUou-CdFwOIffEN5v

Thanks for all the positive feedback fellas. JV don't think I haven't looked long and hard at those images. It's a thing of beauty. If we can get it remotely as tidy as that I will be very happy. 

Oz, nice to see another pic. Has been through one other hand since it was built. Original builder did some time in the big house and sold it prior to going inside. I think he acquired his funds via questionable means. :) the second owner was a really nice fella in Brisbane who did the odd Lakeside track day in it and that was about it. 

Is great being back playing with a car that is supported by such a wealth of online information and aftermarket parts vendors. Seems there are generally several aftermarket options for any perceived shortfall. Pretty easy to lighten the wallet :) 

Edited by Teutonic

Oz, nice to see another pic. Has been through one other hand since it was built. Original builder did some time in the big house and sold it prior to going inside. I think he acquired his funds via questionable means. :) 

Politician was he ?:D

For those that don't know Blaise - he doesn't do things by half. You can be sure this thread will develop into something pretty special (I'm already looking forwards to a drive mate! :D )

His last project that he just sold to buy the porka he turned this:

IMG-20111103-00095.jpg

into this:

image-6.jpg

EngineBay-1.jpg

PS - you really want to bring it to PI in November.... :ph34r:

Oh

For those that don't know Blaise - he doesn't do things by half. You can be sure this thread will develop into something pretty special (I'm already looking forwards to a drive mate! :D )

His last project that he just sold to buy the porka he turned this:

IMG-20111103-00095.jpg

into this:

image-6.jpg

EngineBay-1.jpg

PS - you really want to bring it to PI in November.... :ph34r:

oh! 

welkom 

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit happening. It's been on the rollers for an indicative "before" number and kicked out 234 HP at the wheels. Thought it would be good to get some objective idea on what was actually gained by doing the itb's and tune. Am just waiting for the CNC guys to have a few spares hours on their mill to punch out the adaptors and the ITB install can begin. 

image_13.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

So had a bit on my plate of late so the car has been in the background. But some parts have arrived so time to get back into it. So far we have carbon door bodies (2.9kg) carbon bonnet (4.2kg) and some fibreglass turbo front guards to replace the current steel guards with fibreglass extensions. (3.1kg)

Really happy with the quality of the carbon. Is a shame to have to paint it. 

So on the weight saving thus far we have shaved out 20kg with the lithium battery and 11kg with the bonnet. Will get cracking on the doors and guards next week. Internet tells me a stock door weighs 15kg. so a 12kg per door saving there. So thats 55kg thus far. Maybe 5kg in each front guard?   Was hoping for something close to 100kg total weight loss but seems I will fall well short. Might go a bit further with lexan to the rear window and quarters. Still want winding glass for drivers doors. 

The ITB adaptors are due early next week so that will be the next job. Have also been offered a trial run of the newish MoTeC M1 so will probably give that a run as recent experience says they give better driveability. 

Wheels should be here in a couple of weeks. R comps are ordered (295 rear 235 front.) So its all starting to come together. 

Stock Bonnet
IMG_1573.jpg
Carbon Bonnet
IMG_1571.jpg
Carbon Door
IMG_1570.jpg
Quick test fit of bonnet
IMG_1574.jpg
Carbon door bodies
IMG_1575.jpg