964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

^^^^^ Wow. I am dreaming thinking of getting under 1000kg. Those things are only a single seat etc and would be going further than I plan to with the strip out. (no carpet, stripped loom, lexan windows etc. ) 

Got a little bit done today. RH guard off and glass guard dropped into place. Glass guard is 6kg lighter than the steel/fibreglass composite. Fit of the glass piece looks really good. Removed the drivers door as well and stripped it back to a bare shell. Weighed in at 16kg so will be a 13kg saving on each door at least. Not looking forward to dressing the carbon shell back up. No holes for anything to bolt back up. Need to make sure I am feeling patient when I tackle that one. 

So looks like lightweight parts alone will strip 70kg out of it. Will also be using lightweight fixings on non structural stuff. Have also pulled out things like the gas struts on the front bonnet hinges. Completely redundant with the carbon bonnet. :) Will just sort a little locking device for one hinge to prop it open. 

Hopefully keep chipping away at it this week. 

IMG_1585.jpg

So had a bit of time and was feeling patient so attacked dressing one of the doors. I have always hated messing around with window winders and door mechanisms. But actually it all went better than expected. A dremel is your best friend in these situations. :) I was a bit concerned about how robust the door carcass would be given its so light, but once everything is nipped up its remarkably solid and the fit is spot on. 

Was a bit concerned about the weight and fitment of the aero mirrors. The way they mount is fine in steel, but I think with any sort of knock, they would pull clean out of the carbon. Have sourced some 935 spec aero mirrors that fit up to the front quarter window so that should sort that. Stan at Performance 9 in QLD is a pretty helpful guy for this era porka and is doing an excellent job of trying to lighten my wallet. :) 

S from here its a bit more work to fit the front guard up, panel gap between door and guard is a bit off currently but am hoping some tweaking will sort it. Then rinse and repeat on the passenger side and off for paint.

IMG_1611.jpg

Yeah, 

I think we will have to fill the edge of the guard that butts up to the door. The rest of the gaps on the door are fine, as are the other gaps on the guard. I think their template must be a bit off for the trim line on that edge. 

So seems it is starting to gain momentum. Put some more time into it yesterday and finished the passenger side so its ready to roll out of the shed. Still waiting on a duck tail and 935 mirrors to arrive from QLD so rather than waste time will get cracking with the mech side of things. Will run it up to Racing Dynamics Monday and get started on the ITB install and the MoTeC. 

IMG_1616.jpg

Picked up the ITB adapters today. The fellas have done a great job and they are a thing of beauty IMHO :) Am really happy with them. Glen at Autosport Electromics has offered a trial of a MoTeC M1 so might give that a run. Apparently much better driveability than the previous generation. 

IMG_1620_1.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

Dropped the car off to Racing Dynamics today to allow the pro's to sort the ITB install. When we were discussing the intake and how I would like it to work, he just happened to have a 996 cup car intake lying around not being used. "You mean something like this??"  I really hope we can find a way to make it work in with the install.  :)

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So as i have a habit of doing....the project is escalating... Was looking at the dash and going gees those old heater controls are look rough and are largely redundant. It just runs a heater blower to the screen and thats it. Hmmm.... Can you get a heated screen for these? Turns out you can. So one of them is on the way, and all the blower motor and snot in front of the firewall under the bonnet is headed for the bin. I figure given its not a daily, if its too hot, roll down a window or stop and have a cold beer. If its too cold, wear warmer clothes . smile.gif Really just need to be able to clear the screen when cold and wet. So from there the next obvious step was to pull the dash out and get all the pads covered in black alcantara (ordered some online) with red stitching. Then just get a custom ali (anodised black) or carbon plate made up for where the heater controls are and put custom switches in for the remaining controls. These guys have some pretty trick stuff. 

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/u...inium-switches

Got stuck in to pulling out all the heater box and associated snot today. Is actually pretty light so not much weight saved. About 5kg in all. Just a few block off plates to knock up now to seal off all the redundant holes. 

The ITB assembly is coming along however we discovered Jenvey failed to send some very important rose jointed linkages for the ends of the main bar that joins the two banks of three together. To their credit they didnt question the omission and have some on their way. 

Heated screen hasnt arrived yet, and the trimmer I want to do the dash is fingered until after Christmas so will hold off on all the dash/screen work and just get the ITBs and ECU sorted and get it all painted and back on the road. The screen swap and dash refurb can be its own separate project. Keen to get this car driveable again. 

part way into heater demo

IMG_1713.jpg

All Out

IMG_1714.jpg

Shit pile

IMG_1715.jpg

ITB and plenum

image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

Edited by Teutonic

• 2 weeks later...

So , I took a punt and had the rubber fitted. I was a bit concerned I got greedy on the offset and might have created a rubbing issue on the outer. Was sweating on it last night a bit. Fitted them up and once it was on the ground and its camber came into effect they are spot on. Jumped up and down on both ends and no clearance issues. Work to be done on the ride height as the front has come up due to weight loss measures and the rear is up a little due to gear being out of the engine bay and maybe being in the air for a couple of weeks. But overall I couldn't be happier.

Specs are 18 X 11 rear with -32 offset  18 X 9 front -7.  The wheel is an SSR Professor SP1. Custom build ordered via Import Monster. Very happy with their service.  

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Edited by Teutonic

Looking good!

If it's not too late, and you haven't done it already, I would highly recommend that you do some seam welding. I know you are fitting a full cage, but based on other similar cars I know in Europe, it will still make a significant difference. The original 964 RS's and RSR's were all seam welded, as were the Cup and SuperCup cars. Although I cannot remember exactly where, there are online sources that you should be able to get the details of what was done.

I would also be fitting the solid top mounts for the suspension, front and back. 

It might seem like a bit of work and expense, but with the type of tyres you are running, I suspect they will get chewed to pieces in no time if you don't and the car will behave far better.

Bloody awesome mate!! Looks the biz. Where did you get youre carbon panels from? Is painting this an issue?

love this thread!!

cheers

Cheers. Carbon came from noosacat Aka Hennig Motorsport in QLD. It's a bit of a shame to paint it but won't be a problem. 

Cheers re the wheels. Was pleasantly surprised at how well they went with the red. Better than expected. 

And cheers re body prep. Car is already caged. But will need to add one bar to get full cams certification as the goal posts have moved slightly from when it was installed and sadly they didn't certify it at the time. Will also look to do some bracing around the front towers as I have sourced some coilovers so will look to go down that path for suspension. Will definitely looking to add solid mounts. Thanks for the tip :) It won't be short on rubber and corner grip so will need to make sure things aren't flexing too much. 

So as i have a habit of doing....the project is escalating... Was looking at the dash and going gees those old heater controls are look rough and are largely redundant. It just runs a heater blower to the screen and thats it. Hmmm.... Can you get a heated screen for these? Turns out you can. So one of them is on the way, and all the blower motor and snot in front of the firewall under the bonnet is headed for the bin. I figure given its not a daily, if its too hot, roll down a window or stop and have a cold beer. If its too cold, wear warmer clothes . smile.gif Really just need to be able to clear the screen when cold and wet. So from there the next obvious step was to pull the dash out and get all the pads covered in black alcantara (ordered some online) with red stitching. Then just get a custom ali (anodised black) or carbon plate made up for where the heater controls are and put custom switches in for the remaining controls. These guys have some pretty trick stuff. 

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/u...inium-switches

Got stuck in to pulling out all the heater box and associated snot today. Is actually pretty light so not much weight saved. About 5kg in all. Just a few block off plates to knock up now to seal off all the redundant holes. 

The ITB assembly is coming along however we discovered Jenvey failed to send some very important rose jointed linkages for the ends of the main bar that joins the two banks of three together. To their credit they didnt question the omission and have some on their way. 

Heated screen hasnt arrived yet, and the trimmer I want to do the dash is fingered until after Christmas so will hold off on all the dash/screen work and just get the ITBs and ECU sorted and get it all painted and back on the road. The screen swap and dash refurb can be its own separate project. Keen to get this car driveable again. 

part way into heater demo

IMG_1713.jpg

All Out

IMG_1714.jpg

Shit pile

IMG_1715.jpg

ITB and plenum

image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

I am interested in ITB set up that could look like this. Clean and almost looks like  old school carb's. There seems to be a few alternatives, PMO ect ( big bucks ) who is doing air cooled set ups here in Aus, apart from Autohouse ? 

Unknown.jpeg

jenvey..

any decent workshop can fit them

the OBX stuff is apparently junk

really any ITB setup can look like that if you put the trumpets/mesh on it!

i'll be going down the same route as the OP as soon as funds allow :D

I am interested in ITB set up that could look like this. Clean and almost looks like  old school carb's. There seems to be a few alternatives, PMO ect ( big bucks ) who is doing air cooled set ups here in Aus, apart from Autohouse ? 

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by clutch-monkey

^^^^^^ As above. Jenvey do a complete bolt on kit with trumpets exactly as per your pic. Would be very plug and play and you can't beat Jenvey quality. (Would be some ECU challenges) I was keen for the torque drivability benefits of the full plenum setup. The trumpet setup is very top end focussed. 

• 1 month later...