964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

Thanks for the interest fellas. Has been steadily moving forward.

Had one minor curve ball with the ITB's. Had overlooked the very obvious fact the brakes needed vacuum. Are far less vacuum pipe opportunities with this setup than the factory manifold/intake. Decided to do away with the booster and go with one of the twin master cylinder kits with brake bias adjuster. (PR Tech) Should be a better solution in the long term.

Picture-31.png

Also had a bit of an impulse buy on these "Singer Style" headlights. Full headlight kit with HID a guy in Canada is making from scratch. Plan to be driving at night and doing night time rally sprint. Factory lights are woeful, so hoping these improve things. And dont think they look too bad either.

950007d1435709635-singer-style-headlight

All of the MoTeC and ITB work is complete and it is finished on the dyno. I dropped it off for paint yesterday. So hopefully in 2-3 weeks it should be all the same colour and just need some final trim and tweaks and its good to go.

Added a few HP with new exhaust tips. The original ones looked a bit naff IMHO.

Old pipes.

image_10.jpeg

New pipes.

image_9.jpeg

Engine bay all together with cup filter. Still needs a proper detail to clean it up.

image_7.jpeg

And the results of the dyno??? Picked up 20odd HP atw so 250 odd now. NA is hard work. That would normally be 1 or 2 psi of boost :)

Only took it for a quick squirt from the workshop to the paint shop, but driveability is transformed. Starts perfectly, idles perfectly. No stalling issues. It has light weight flywheel and RS cams so did do the odd stall or hunt at idle when you lifted off abruptly on the stock ECU. Throttle response is epic. Stabs of the throttle from idle are so crisp. Blips on downshifts now are spot on. Were very vague before. Sometimes get a little throttle, other times a big blip. Pulls off the line much more cleanly and transient throttle is much crisper. So a combination of benefits of a custom tune and the ITB's. But very happy with the end result as you feel much more connected to the engine via the accelerator pedal.....oh, and it sounds tits!!!!!! :)

So with any luck, 2-3 weeks of paint and then get stuck into final assembly and arsing around with trims etc and it is good to go.

Edited by Teutonic

• 2 weeks later...

^^^^^ No probs.

Here is a discussion on Rennlist. http://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/881235-singer-style-headlights.html

And here is his email addy. flat6illumination@gmail.com

Francois Ouzilleau

Was very easy to deal with. Will be a few weeks until I can personally report on their performance. Although Hepkat63 (Stephen) had them fitted to his car.

Edited by Teutonic

I have read up a bit on these headlights on Pelican etc. They are reasonably cheap to do. You can get the HID units from eBay for about $100, and the clear lenses are a VW item which I found is cheapest from a local VW parts supplier. Then you just replace your current H4 bulb with the HID unit and your done for under $200 (as long as you already have H4 headlights). For me with sugar scoops it is a bit more of a pain. 

^^^ Sounds like a very well priced option. 

How do they go trimming off the beam (low beam) so you don't dazzle all oncoming traffic? 

These have a projector insert in them so they trim the top beam off and focus the light. 

Its a pet hate of mine (4wd brigade seem to be the biggest culprits) who do HID upgrades to regular reflector headlights which end up throwing out  a big ball of light in all directions. Pretty off putting coming the opposite direction at night. I must be getting old :) 

^^^^^ No probs.

Here is a discussion on Rennlist. http://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/881235-singer-style-headlights.html

And here is his email addy. flat6illumination@gmail.com

Francois Ouzilleau

Was very easy to deal with. Will be a few weeks until I can personally report on their performance. Although Hepkat63 (Stephen) had them fitted to his car.

Thank you very much; I have ordered a set from him.  Much appreciated.

^^^ Sounds like a very well priced option. 

How do they go trimming off the beam (low beam) so you don't dazzle all oncoming traffic? 

These have a projector insert in them so they trim the top beam off and focus the light. 

Its a pet hate of mine (4wd brigade seem to be the biggest culprits) who do HID upgrades to regular reflector headlights which end up throwing out  a big ball of light in all directions. Pretty off putting coming the opposite direction at night. I must be getting old :) 

The HID unit fits into the standard reflector housing, so you have the same adjustment as you had before. Very simple really. I decided I preferred the look of the regular fluted headlights, so I have ordered them new. But I have seem guys have put the same HID units behind the fluted lenses as well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-MINI-2-5-HID-BI-XENON-PROJECTOR-LENS-KIT-HID-HEADLIGHT-SHROUD-H1-H4-H7-RHD-/171976059219?hash=item280a926953:g:HC8AAOSwl9BWKGE6

• 1 month later...

Well,

paint is taking way longer than expected as these things do. But as my  motto is "if its worth doing its worth overdoing" we are sorting out any of the short comings of a 1974 body while we are there. It' the final assembly stage now. Have been putting in some afternoons where I can to do all the fiddly stuff like dressing the doors and getting them swinging and latching right and all the trims on. Hopefully it rolls out of there tomorrow or early next week. Then fit the MCA coilovers sourced from Sven, bolt on the new wheels, get some setup in it, and hit the track.

Pic below is paint straight off the gun. Buffing still to come.

IMG_0361.jpg

Edited by Teutonic

So , I took a punt and had the rubber fitted. I was a bit concerned I got greedy on the offset and might have created a rubbing issue on the outer. Was sweating on it last night a bit. Fitted them up and once it was on the ground and its camber came into effect they are spot on. Jumped up and down on both ends and no clearance issues. Work to be done on the ride height as the front has come up due to weight loss measures and the rear is up a little due to gear being out of the engine bay and maybe being in the air for a couple of weeks. But overall I couldn't be happier.

Specs are 18 X 11 rear with -32 offset  18 X 9 front -7.  The wheel is an SSR Professor SP1. Custom build ordered via Import Monster. Very happy with their service.  

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Luv the wheels and enjoying following your build - very impressive.

Thinking about something similar for my 993 C2S. 2 questions -  How much do they weight and ball park how much are they?

Luv the wheels and enjoying following your build - very impressive.

Thinking about something similar for my 993 C2S. 2 questions -  How much do they weight and ball park how much are they?

Cheers. 

Re the weight, the rear wheel (18 X 11 with brand new 295 A050 R Comp) weighs approx 23.1kg on a baggage scale. So not uber light but far from heavy for rim and rubber of that size. Not sure what exotic super light weight wheels there are in that figment ?  Didn't get a chance to weigh without rubber and can't find any spec on what the tyre alone weighs. I am sure the rim would be similar to any SSR in an 18 X 11 size. Cost is circa 4K for the set. Import Monster were very helpful with procuring them as they were a special order from Japan. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's finally out of paint and into what I hoped was a week of straight forward bolt ons with the hope of driving it last weekend. Managed to get some time away from work to give it a push. Got the front legs in. Discovered they came with later model spindles with a bigger thread. So new bolt and washer to hold the hub on. No probs. Hub on. Preload set. Rotor on. Go to fit caliper.... No go. Seems the hole centres and offset are also different. Was a Bilstein not  Boge leg for caliper bolt spacing. New dog bones for the big red 4 pots required. Unlikely to get them sorted before the weekend. Regardless got the rest of the coilovers in, wheels on, headlights in and running. Just no front brakes :) but it's very close.

Some other minor tweaks. Too much ball ache to get the steel fuel filler lid to integrate with the fibreglass guard and get the remote release working so smoothed the guard and put it under the bonnet. External canisters are hose clamped to the strut brace for now but hopefully sort billet brackets later. Still got some RSR winglets to go on the front bar as well. And front will get some more lows. Sitting a touch too high. Maybe get it on the scales tomorrow. Some pics below.

image_14.jpeg

image_15.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also had a bit too much time on my hands on the weekend. Spent way too much time browsing suspension options for old 911's. One thing struck me when I lifted the front lower control arms and cross member into place. Man they are heavy and gees there is some stiction on the lower control arms.

So, in line with my motto of "if it's worth doing its worth overdoing", up front I have ordered the 935 style lower control arm kit. Is all heim jointed and alows camber and caster adjustment and wheel track along with longer control arms for better dynamic camber. At the rear have ordered the 935 spring plates and some monoball cartridges for the trailing arms. Also threw in some wevo engine and trans mounts.

Also had a win. The guy who I bought the coilovers off actually has the dogbones that came off them as they were running big reds so is sending them over at no cost. Very grateful.

So will mean another week off the road but should hopefully improve the overall package.

image_17.jpeg

Edited by Teutonic

• 2 weeks later...

So,

super impressed with Elephant Racing. Got the suspension parts here in record time. Seems a zero was left off the shipped value so slipped through customs which was a bonus.  :) 

All the gear bolted up beautifully. Really impressed with fit and quality. Got the car on he scales this morning.  Weighed in at 1040kg which I am happy with given the cage and full interior. Corner weights are good but typically rear biased as expected. :) 

The dogbone issue continued to haunt me. The dog bones Sven sent over had the right bolt centres for the legs as expected but unfortunately different bolt centres for the caliper so we're no good. But at least we had both sides of the puzzle now. Called in a favour with a machinist I had used and he knocked a new set up over night. 

Off for an alignment now (getting squeezed in between other jobs last minute) and then hopefully a cruise to the pub for Friday arvo beers later. 

If that all goes well, Porsche club Motorsport round at Barbagallo Monday. Baptism of fire  :) 

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

image_20.jpeg

Edited by Teutonic

Cheers Chris,

appreciate the compliments. Its really growing on me. Definitely the lack of mass, and ample tyre help make up for the relatively modest power. Really shifts your focus to flowing the car as you cant make easy time in a straight line. I bought the car in QLD but am based in Perth. Have managed to keep the QLD reg on it so I can avoid hassle in this state from the Rozzers given it is caged on full road reg.

Had its first outing at Barbagallo with the Porsche club today. Was a real experience given it was my first time on a circuit in a 911. Got the baptism of fire with an arse first spin off the track on cold tyres in the first session. :)  Then I started to get a feel for it and build some pace. By the end of the day I had improved my times by a couple of seconds a lap and the only thing in front of me was a GT3 on slicks......there were a few behind me as well. Really impressive how deceptively quick these old cars can be and can really hold their own against the new metal. Definitely plenty more to learn about the car to get the best out of it.