964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

^^^ Cheers fellas. 

So the engine is back in the hole and started straight off the key. But then proceeded to run rough as you would expect given the substantial changes on the top end. So the tuner will be past tomorrow to get it idling so the ITB's can be synced. Then i will tow it to the dyno and it will get run in and tuned there. That will happen early next week. Will be the same dyno (and tuner) as last time so should be a decent comparison as to what we have picked up. 

y4m10bj_n8orFs1xw4RiLX0_N47_UWbZWP4pesdH

And the last piece of the puzzle is the exhaust. While I was reasonly happy with what I have (The Ti mufflers are outrageously light) I have been liaising with Burns Stainless in the US. (These guys do (at least did)  the singer exhaust parts) You give them all your engine specs and planned operating range and they design equal length headers and supply it in a kit form. They just shipped yesterday. Their collectors are works of art and are actually proven to make power.  

y4m47ODEyscXuRfW5P7PkcP_iMY64Uv95UUTb32v

Plan is to go from them and do a X pipe style merge which I hope will enhance torque and into short muffs. I have heard one of these style of exhausts and it was the best sounding exhaust I have heard on an aircooled car. Should also provide a small power increase over the unequal headers on it. Hopefully finish up like this....

y4mfnJddtB6CS3g3G0DDu3O2t8_0OikqDFB7K4Sw

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Cheers Mr Chops,

so the kit for the exhaust turned up.  The collectors are something else. Will do a power run with the current setup and then get the fabricator to jump straight onto the new headers and exhaust and then run it up again to see what gains, if any,  there are from a proper equal length header and merged exhaust. Hopefully this is all sorted by first weekend of Oct as there is a Porsche Club trackday i wouldn't mind giving it a run at and seeing if I can chase a few water cooled GT cars. :)

y4mhcEptDOU0N9qQJI8i2IAiczhzHZ0TGURs_hPq

y4mXnifvq7xUaXARV8_9gm40kAGhdYfPC5MD_fHq

And we have also done some little cosmetic tweaks. Given it doesn't run sun shades, I find a windscreen banner can always be a good thing, so on went a red on black porsche logo. And I thought the deleted glove box area looked a bit blank so a had a small RSR 3.8 logo knocked up. Reckon he did a top job on this one giving it a bit of a 3D/badge effect. 

y4mC77cxVlrepcSXr9apRNZiQsUiBlwQqH-i07-L

y4mRHW9SL13sBbFORYT0xJOsgnuAfTSoWOHKYPfm

y4mCez3T9q4SW1GDFHvFarPeP6xnXF-Wp9hGBAbb

Edited by Teutonic

Plan is to go from them and do a X pipe style merge which I hope will enhance torque and into short muffs. I have heard one of these style of exhausts and it was the best sounding exhaust I have heard on an aircooled car. Should also provide a small power increase over the unequal headers on it. Hopefully finish up like this....

y4mfnJddtB6CS3g3G0DDu3O2t8_0OikqDFB7K4Sw

Hey that's my rear end.... well my cars anyway!   This exhaust not only looks good but it sounds incredible.   Just be aware that it is quite loud and just scrapes under the 95db sound limits at both Wakefield Park and Eastern Creek but is over the 90db limit used some days at Wakefield.  On the street, in built up areas I find myself driving like a saint in high gear/low revs or it attracts way too much attention, so its best to only play out of town

Edited by Gman993

Hey Gman,

hope you don't mind me using the pics. That car of yours is something else. Next level. And glad to hear your thoughts on the sound. I had heard one similar and had to agree it was the best sounding air cooled Porsche I had ever heard. It was at the track and the note of if compared to the others was something special. Can't wait to get it finished. 

So finally tomorrow I get to unleash and stretch the legs of the new improved car :). Combined Porsche/HSV track day at Barbagallo. Pumped. A clean car is a fast car right ? Hated the square black end plates on the track wang. Have given them some shape and colour coded them. Looks less hideous. 

y4mKo90RNIOL_afS7XT5lDA4fubX-c_Zmb72cxUe

y4mOXOVzWSRGgVea_yThi0Qjb0wvetXYB1SzywRF

Cheers fellas. Had a great first day out. The thing is a fkn jet now! It was good through the bends but did lose my attention with the lack of thrust between the corners. This is most definitely fixed now ! :) All round much more engaging car to drive. Managed to finish on top of the time sheets on the weekend (the field including a 996 GT3 with cup car parts, slicks and a 4.0) found near enough to 2 secs a lap extra pace on a day where it seemed other cars weren't running as fast as they normally do. Very happy with it. (Vid below)

Jason, dyno sheet is below. Red line is the old power number. (Approx 238hp)  I don't get too hung up on the actual numbers, but the % increase of approx 30% is pretty impressive for an extra 150cc. Note we have also run it to 7500 rather than 7000. There was about 15hp in that last 500 rpm.  I think the aim of trying to get a selection of parts that worked well together to get an overall result rather than individually great parts that don't work together has paid off. Its a much better package now. The ITB's really weren't helping on a stock motor but now compliment this package. It looked to be tapering off at 7k. We lifted the limit to 7500 to see what was happening and it kicked off again. Very happy with the result. Almost 80 extra NA horsepowers over the old setup. 

y4mnWFpyJN0OvXv1U4xvi21k8UYllK6PHmgVYS15

Edited by Teutonic

• 3 weeks later...

So the final piece of the puzzle is finished. The equal length headers and the merge exhaust. Hats off to the the fabricator. He has done an epic job. The car went back on the dyno. Really impressed with the pickup. That shitty hole in the power curve it had through the midrange (red line) is gone. Almost 40hp picked up through the midrange where the dip was at its worst. Hard to believe for just the addition of headers and exhaust and I wouldn't have believed it if it wasn't dyno verified.  Also picked up some more torques and just a touch of HP up top. And the sound... Fuck me...it's biblical!!. has gone from the deep note to a near cup car esque scream. Was always chasing a good set of complimentary parts that have a result at least as good as the sum of them individually. I reckon this was the icing on the cake. It really does feel like the complete package now. And from the seat of the pants, its an absolute jet!!!

Here is the new power curve. Much more linear and some solid extra area under the curve.  

y4m2VqlksMuqvIlSUeZFF06AIwQfmIU48btiDBX9

And the exhaust pron. 3" tips to "fill the hole" in the rear bar. More girth never hurts. many jokes of compensating made at my expense. But they do fill the cutaways in the rear bar well. 

y4mO6qxrkUNIfWi_ZIe3qcqR2xmNp1t3KDdZyofe

y4m5qi3Y5N2UmokdcWIEit4vQ-UxRE_vaGvMFmS5

And some more dyno action. 

Edited by Teutonic

Cheers Gents,

really couldn't have believed an exhaust could make such a difference. So another milestone reached today. 

The cage is certified. Thought I had it right previously but neither of the diagonals on the main hoop run right through. The guys who did the original cage ran the harness bar through left to right and then junctioned into it withe the diagonals. One of the hoops (main or rear) needs a cross in it with one of the members going corner to corner. Easiest way was to add another diagonal to rear hoop to make it a cross rather than single diagonal given the alternative was to cut all bars out of the main hoop and start again. Now just trying to find a sensible way to get the car to Rally Adelaide, and if successful will push on and put all the rally seats etc back in and get it log booked. Have got a keen price from Race Car Transporters but need 5 cars to make it economical. Not really keen to have it moved with CEVA anymore. Also not really keen for a 5,000 odd km round trip towing it. 

So back to the paint shop Friday to paint that one bar. Haven't made any friends there.  Have also grabbed an acrylic rear window, so will get that tinted and refit that rather than the glass after its painted. Also grabbed some 993 rear quarter window rubbers and will drop fixed acrylic in there rather than the hinged jobbies it currently has. Will keep glass in the doors to have winding windows. 

y4mVuiEQrC9cSufMV_hamr_uh7bjr5t_THdXhxIs

y4m49uGikkSngyb56pVyJ0-6wntmRJCYAk5nZJyK