964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

Cheers Gents, 

I really can't seem to help myself. Its a disease. This idea of this car was sold to my wife as something that needed nothing doing to it. She asked me the other day how much of that "car that needed nothing doign to it" was actually still on the car. Deathly silence......

The front area got a little bit of a tidy up as well. The PDM did away with the 1970's fuse box and the old ceramic fuses. Blasting along at night, hitting a yump and losing headlights was definitely a catalyst for the rewire. The last job here will be to find the enthusiasm to strip the front bay when it goes in for paint so they can give it a lick too. Also added a 935 style X brace strut tower brace. I figure if you are going to both doing one at all, you may as well do one that doesn't have hinged joints and is all sold weld and bolted joints. Is a rock solid bit of gear. 

y4mzBr3mj5AtEeArIrGANl2oeNULOVdq2PbMJq03

Gave the car a quick tub today ready for a double header track day Saturday and Sunday. Kind of futile as its expected to be wet so it will get covered in snot. Always good to start out clean I guess. Happy with the way the carbon skirts tie in with the front lip. 

Did some heat cycles on the new brakes through the local industrial area super special stage. The brakes are tip top now. Epic amount of pedal feel and progression in the pedal and outright stopping power. Just have to fine tune the bias. Have done some MC changes to get it close (balance bar was all the way to one side previously)  so should just be small adjustments now. 

Also knocked up some carbon trims to cover up the redundant holes in the floor where the old shifter etc was. Pretty happy with how the cock pit presents now. Now the only thing left is to give it full send this weekend and see how it holds up. 

Some pics after the afternoon wash. 

y4mMlYoJGLWxz3nTUiuF8DdMRlN--E8p4f6WR9oX

y4mJnKXDAaeC4h--WNHli34oxOgIvKuqN50Yeg9y

y4mnaHRgzuj8cYO89hFJiyYzsIZOEYgn9TkSpzdg

Cheers Lee,

have found all the Rennline stuff to be top quality and genuine bolt in parts. Particularly like the removable steering wheel. Best quick release I have used. 

So had my double header track day on the weekend and I would say it was a success. Really happy with the shifter. Much more confident of consistently selecting gears. It got a particularly good workout on the Sunday on the hill climb course in and out of chicanes and back to 1st for a hairpin. No fluffed changes and much less mental effort worrying about changes leaving more brain power for steering. The general ergonomics is much improved as well. 

The new bars (tarret hollows) seemed a bit stiffer on their middle setting. Front turn in had improved but the rear was lacking grip especially on high speed turn in.  Ended up progressively taking some bar out of the rear along with some low speed bump and rebound chasing more rear grip to balance the car. Was a much better thing by the end of the day. 

The new brakes are epic. Fade free as you would expect and just so much braking force, feel and modulation. Won't ever have to revisit braking.

A bit of in car from the Saturday on the circuit. Sadly forgot to run the camera on Sundays hill climb. Had a good battle with my mate in his 500+hp Tommui Makinen evo running a sequential box etc. Was a heap of fun. Was over driving the shit out of the car chasing him. Am definitely no circuit racer. A sniff of a chase and the brain goes out the window. :) But is a heap more fun than just punching in laps. 

Symsy, 

the evo is quite a thing. Genuine Aussie delivered Tommi Makinen with substantial weight reduction. Down to approx 1150kg. Runs 265 wide A050 r comps all round. Well sorted suspension. Has  2.2 litre stroker motor making over 500hp at the tyres and a sequential samsonas gearbox. The Porka definitely has it under brakes and carrying corner speed, but cant touch it once he straightens it up. Probably need twin hair dryers and a sequential myself. At that point I think I will just go and buy a cup car and be done with it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Got out for a little more motorsport at a local rally sprint run around the Kwinana Motorplex Facility using service road, carparks and some of the drag strip. Similar to the Sydney event. Car went really well.  Main thing was being able to stay away from the kerbs and out of trouble as there is a reasonable risk profile. Managed to finish 4th outright (80 odd cars) with most of the top ten being AWD turbo hardware other than a well pedalled Z06 Corvette. So the old girl holds it own among cars that on paper should be better suited to the point and shoot stuff. The pace of the car never ceases to impress me. Super happy with the shifter and the brakes. Only one fluffed shift all night which was driver error. The shifter has absolutely transformed the driving experience.  Brakes are also pulling up the car far quicker and with more feel into the  heavy braking zones like the chicanes. Dare I say it, I think this car is pretty much exactly where I want it now. Plans to do a dog box have been canned. Current shifter setup really has cured what I saw as the final shortcoming of the car.

Car has gone in for paint this week. Just painting the new side skirts and tidying up some of the war wounds and wear and tear of racing. Then hopefully should just be a good period of basic maintenance and just enjoy it. 

Also had the car power tuned on the dyno on pump 98. Can't run on E85 in the tarmac rally car class at the Rallysprints.  It is running flex fuel sensor but had only been power tuned on E85 so just wanted to be sure the tune was right on the more knock prone 98. Turned out I had nothing to worry about as the ECU adjusted the map perfectly and the car ran fine with no knock on 98. But did give up approx 20hp and some torques. Seat of the pants feels slightly less punchy but good to know I can safely tip 98 in it and give it a belting without any risk. 

y4mZbCQZfk7XEHn8-x6_mPiLVyPTaMU2Mixe1dId

Bit of in car from the night. Only realised at the end I forgot to turn high beam on. What you can't see can't hurt you i guess :)

• 6 months later...
On 05/08/2015 at 08:31, Snowman said:

For those that don't know Blaise - he doesn't do things by half. You can be sure this thread will develop into something pretty special (I'm already looking forwards to a drive mate! :D )

His last project that he just sold to buy the porka he turned this:

IMG-20111103-00095.jpg

into this:

image-6.jpg

EngineBay-1.jpg

PS - you really want to bring it to PI in November.... :ph34r:

Oh dear lord thst is a thing of beauty

On 22/10/2018 at 08:50, Teutonic said:

Cheers Lee,

have found all the Rennline stuff to be top quality and genuine bolt in parts. Particularly like the removable steering wheel. Best quick release I have used. 

So had my double header track day on the weekend and I would say it was a success. Really happy with the shifter. Much more confident of consistently selecting gears. It got a particularly good workout on the Sunday on the hill climb course in and out of chicanes and back to 1st for a hairpin. No fluffed changes and much less mental effort worrying about changes leaving more brain power for steering. The general ergonomics is much improved as well. 

The new bars (tarret hollows) seemed a bit stiffer on their middle setting. Front turn in had improved but the rear was lacking grip especially on high speed turn in.  Ended up progressively taking some bar out of the rear along with some low speed bump and rebound chasing more rear grip to balance the car. Was a much better thing by the end of the day. 

The new brakes are epic. Fade free as you would expect and just so much braking force, feel and modulation. Won't ever have to revisit braking.

A bit of in car from the Saturday on the circuit. Sadly forgot to run the camera on Sundays hill climb. Had a good battle with my mate in his 500+hp Tommui Makinen evo running a sequential box etc. Was a heap of fun. Was over driving the shit out of the car chasing him. Am definitely no circuit racer. A sniff of a chase and the brain goes out the window. :) But is a heap more fun than just punching in laps. 

Awesome video. Sensational driving running the Evo down in the corners. 

23 hours ago, Lukus said:

Any updates for this thread? 😎

There are some updates. Myself and the car have moved to QLD. Essentially it’s gone back home. 😁. Has had one outing to Lakeside which was cut short due to it being too loud. Some new mufflers incoming. Is off to Noosa Hillclimb this weekend. 

The usual ongoing development. Have a cooler kit coming for the 915. I find the shift quality seems to deteriorate after a high speed track day (not so much rally sprint) so figure the oil is getting hammered. Also found the shifting was off a bit and was thinking it might be time for a 915 refresh. But took a close look at it and there was some very slight freeplay between shifter and transmission. Replaced the cup bushing at bottom of shifter (main culprit) and also replaced the wevo PSJ with a Stomski one. Kind of had lost track of time and hadn’t realised they hadn’t been replaced for 2 odd years. Spent a bit of time setting up the new joint and the shifting is now better than it has ever been. Much cheaper than getting the box out. 

So plan to have new muffs on in time to join PCQ at Lakeside later in June. It’s. Cracking little track. Keen to get more than a few laps this time. 

Clutch, if it’s Adam we are talking about the same guy. He has a sickness for rotaries. 😁

Welcome to sunny (cold at the moment) Qld. Look forward to catching up at a PCQ track day.

i haven’t been out this year, trying to get the build in my 996 ex Nations Cup Car completes.

I am doing a full restoration - is back to bear metal and about to go for paint.

Thanks Timm,

it was my first visit and sadly got black flagged in the first session. So un finished business there for sure. Looking forward to getting the revised exhaust on and get back out there. It’s a cracking track. 

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

Thanks Timm,

it was my first visit and sadly got black flagged in the first session. So un finished business there for sure. Looking forward to getting the revised exhaust on and get back out there. It’s a cracking track. 

It sure is, I don't get out there enough. They're going through some legal disputes at the moment regarding noise complaints, so not surprised they kicked you off. 

Yeah,

totally respect the noise challenges. Usual story in that it sounds like a noisy minority. Not something I have had to deal with in the past. Hopefully the new mufflers get it where it needs to be.