964 RSR Replica Track Car/Weekend Blaster

So been indulging in a bit of motorpsort here in QLD. Managed to get up to Noosa for the winter hill climb. Cracking little section of tarmac. Had mixed conditions over the weekend with the track being wet to drying damp most of the weekend making it extra treacherous. Great bunch of people up there and a great mix of cars. Came away with a class win and 6th outright and drove it to and from the event. Made for a great weekend away. 

Bit of incar on a drying track. 

Have also been trying to improve the 915. Found the shifting got a bit notchy after a hard session at the track. Sourced an external cooler kit out of Germany and fitted it up last week.  Had a solid session at Lakeside yesterday. Shift quality doesn't seem to have deteriorated afterwards. On that note, my new mufflers were a success in dropping the dB levels. To be sure we got there I also added some v banded interchangeable tips so I could do some "Lakeside Specials". 5 minute job to put them on at the track. 

Cooler Kit

y4mQjKLs3N4cRkjB0yR-443VlhaX68T9iIvuYan1

y4m9fB7igZRyj5UkSidUFKl4MGyV51uO0nrCQ2md

y4mWFRvGAzuCa74yUauoqujFoeXfLU1LOw7nKoc4

y4mVuegSuhqwPtPfoN5faHXFERggJbAr4o1hMWAR

New exhaust with interchangeable tips

y4mm1C1nXS9sGo2bQiNMk9BZF5m64NlCeV-B6uF2

y4mXyiBK4oqAs1vZSkt_sa6mS80IVx8c_gtoHxxh

y4mJ35wru-267blSnrbwzfJL8Lf8MZF-LmWtzM8z

And some incar of some lakeside laps. Got down to a 56.7 which I am pretty happy with. You sure know you are alive coming through that back section into Hungry. Am still fluffling some changes with the old 1970's VW spec 915. Just need to be more patient with it. Hard to shake the habits of years driving sweet shifting proper synchro boxes. 

On 24/06/2019 at 12:38, Teutonic said:

So been indulging in a bit of motorpsort here in QLD. Managed to get up to Noosa for the winter hill climb. Cracking little section of tarmac. Had mixed conditions over the weekend with the track being wet to drying damp most of the weekend making it extra treacherous. Great bunch of people up there and a great mix of cars. Came away with a class win and 6th outright and drove it to and from the event. Made for a great weekend away. 

Bit of incar on a drying track. 

Have also been trying to improve the 915. Found the shifting got a bit notchy after a hard session at the track. Sourced an external cooler kit out of Germany and fitted it up last week.  Had a solid session at Lakeside yesterday. Shift quality doesn't seem to have deteriorated afterwards. On that note, my new mufflers were a success in dropping the dB levels. To be sure we got there I also added some v banded interchangeable tips so I could do some "Lakeside Specials". 5 minute job to put them on at the track. 

Cooler Kit

y4mQjKLs3N4cRkjB0yR-443VlhaX68T9iIvuYan1

y4m9fB7igZRyj5UkSidUFKl4MGyV51uO0nrCQ2md

y4mWFRvGAzuCa74yUauoqujFoeXfLU1LOw7nKoc4

y4mVuegSuhqwPtPfoN5faHXFERggJbAr4o1hMWAR

New exhaust with interchangeable tips

y4mm1C1nXS9sGo2bQiNMk9BZF5m64NlCeV-B6uF2

y4mXyiBK4oqAs1vZSkt_sa6mS80IVx8c_gtoHxxh

y4mJ35wru-267blSnrbwzfJL8Lf8MZF-LmWtzM8z

And some incar of some lakeside laps. Got down to a 56.7 which I am pretty happy with. You sure know you are alive coming through that back section into Hungry. Am still fluffling some changes with the old 1970's VW spec 915. Just need to be more patient with it. Hard to shake the habits of years driving sweet shifting proper synchro boxes. 

Nice driving!

aporscheapart has a 915 dog box for sale

http://www.aporschapart.com/specials.html

• 6 months later...

Just driving it and enjoying it. I had it all set for the Noosa Hillclimb but it was cancelled due to fires. So car has fresh 050 tyres on it ready for a year of Motorsport. Just haven’t quite decided what the calendar looks like. The gearbox is performing really well with the cooler.  No degradation of the oil after several track days. Although am still keeping tabs on the development of the dog gearset. I am thinking custom ratios and setting up shift cut for flat shifts would be a good thing  

I replaced the oil cooler circuit thermostat on the engine circuit as it was running hotter than I would like. Now I don’t see temps above the 80degree bracket at the track after plenty of laps on a hot day. Huge relief to have that sorted. The only thing I reckon that will stop it lapping now is running out of fuel. 😁

Currently race seat is out and sensible street seat is in and enjoying some drives to the shops and back :) and over some of the local twisty hills roads. Really enjoy how versatile this car is on track and on the road.  Can drive to the track and give a cup car a run for its money and then drive home via your favourite watering hole for a cleansing ale. 

Managed a trip out to Queensland Raceway before I hung up the gloves for the year. Had a great session with a 993 GT2 replica. It was well driven and had a bit more power (3.6 twin turbo) and slick tyres on. I only started to catch him due to an engine issue and him losing power.  Had the best view in the house.  Came away with a 1.18. Have toyed with the idea of fitting slicks and chasing faster times but I do like being able to drive to and from the track. 

• 7 months later...