Opinion on wheel colour - 964

Picked up a second set of cup 1 rims.. and wanted to try a different look to the bronze that I am familiar with .. So I got them powder coated and chose (charcoal, metallic, satin). It looked almost black on the colour chip and I was worried it would be too dark. When I picked them up, they looked so much lighter than I was expecting..... what's everyone else's opinion? Please be tactful; I'm very sensitive at the moment !  

First, here is the Bronze...

DSC01331_zpswcoxnojt.jpg

And here is how it looks now.. (sitting on the showroom floor at work.. and totally filthy...)

DSC01363_zpspfucnhzz.jpg

DSC01364_zpsvmgwhwim.jpg

DSC01362_zps0qstd527.jpg

DSC01369_zpszfwwdeih.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orange and charcoal are traditional Porsche colours and look good on your car but without wanting to upset your sensitivities, I think I would have gone Black.

Not a fan of the copper though so getting them refinished was a good move

Acid wash, then your good to go again. 

The charcoal you've selected is so dark I'd be inclined to have committed to black. If your more charcoal inclined check out the 'platinum' finishes on the GT3 & GT4 forged wheels for a good 'factory' reference. 

hmmm... so nothing definitive...

These are a second set, so I still have the bronze. The powder coating was cheap but if I want to change them, how do they do it?

I'd never thought of orange.. i LOVE orange...

I've been considering wheel colour options for our red 964 too, thanks for this Mike, timely! I've been thinking black, but the bronze looks good too. We've colour matched a set of RUF wheels for the C4 in black and have been thinking colour matched red for the C2, just not sure I'm brave enough...

Like this: 964-speedster.jpg

To me, in that second pic the wheel appears to be a blue shade/cool grey,  so you've got a clash of shades, I think a warmer shade of grey would be more cohesive with the red... Black would certainly look better because it's neutral. 

Good advice on looking at the current GT3/GT4 wheel finishes... Can't beat OEM

Hi Mike, my 2 cents

Way too blue. I like the bronze & if you had a "Porsche" side decal (Porsche in a faded bronze) & stripes a few shades lighter or darker than Guards Red. Is that racy enough.

Silver just looks right though.

Hope it helps

Out in the sun doesn't improve things.

I found an example of the wheel I was talking about on a red M5:

7578388064_917e4c66d8_b.jpg

I think that darker smoky silver would look the goods

EDIT: This finish is called 'Shadow Chrome'

Archived