GT3 Wheel colour for 996 - thoughts?

TrevMcRev

Picked up these bad boys for my Silver 996.

IMG_0006_zpskmaidr0y.jpg

What are the crowds thoughts?

1. Leave 'em Silver. jaygt35.jpg
  2. Go Full Black. 469439-2.jpg
  3. Black centers/Silver lip.  img_1083.jpg?w=608&h=400&crop=1
  4. Orange! 911-gt3-rs-silver-orange-rare-combo-virt

Ps. I have black brakes, so would look ok under silver or orange, but either "lost" or "stealth" under black - depending on your take.  Or I could go black and colour the brakes.

Porsche currently do a graphite/charcoal colour wheel as an option and I think that could look quite good too, subtle on the silver car - just like your avatar.  

I cant encourage the polished lip as I've always disliked it (no offence intended to the polished lip fans out there). 

Nice Trev, they look like the 19s off the 997 GT3 correct? I have toyed with the idea of painting mine black, red or blue. I think its a lovely wheel design and the features are best highlighted in silver. The darker tones drown out the lines, perhaps a very light gunmetal just to keep things interesting?

Picked up these bad boys for my Silver 996.

IMG_0006_zpskmaidr0y.jpg

What are the crowds thoughts?

1. Leave 'em Silver. jaygt35.jpg
  2. Go Full Black. 469439-2.jpg
  3. Black centers/Silver lip.  img_1083.jpg?w=608&h=400&crop=1
  4. Orange! 911-gt3-rs-silver-orange-rare-combo-virt

Ps. I have black brakes, so would look ok under silver or orange, but either "lost" or "stealth" under black - depending on your take.  Or I could go black and colour the brakes.

satin black with polished lips

Thanks for the input.   Hmmm....  Silver seems popular...I agree it highlights the design of the wheel the best. 

I do plan to add a sidescript, so that kind of goes hand in hand with coloured wheels though...

I'm thinking black wheels with black sidescript should work...but I love the idea of the orange - if it were a 997 I would just go for it!  But feel it may be a bit out of place on the 996.  And really a bit too out there for me.

Maybe playing with black plastidip is the go.  If I want to change it back to silver it shouldn't be too hard.

Orrrrr just change the whole car to Cararra White add a GT3RS kit with RS red wheels and script and be done with it! :ph34r:

996-GT3-RS-featured.jpg

But then the decision would be Red...or Blue!

Porsche-996-GT3RS.jpg

I'd be cautious of using Plastidip on your wheels, it's not hard wearing and will chip and flake off after your first serious drive (+ I think it leaves a very cheap looking finish :ph34r:)

If your going to have them painted best to get them acid stripped and powder coated professionally. At the end of the day they are just wheels, if you go black and don't feel the love you wont have a hard time selling them - black wheels are pretty popular these days it seems..................or get them stripped and go again! 

Leaning towards silver as well since they're GT3 rims, nope point in having them and not showing them. Otherwise if you wanted darker colours I would have gone to something where they're not as nicer design/brand.

Leaning towards silver as well since they're GT3 rims, nope point in having them and not showing them. Otherwise if you wanted darker colours I would have gone to something where they're not as nicer design/brand.

Yeah Mike I'd pretty much given up on finding this style rim so got thinking a mesh concave GTS style rim in black...Now that I've found them I think staying silver might be the go.

Archived