Porsche Centre vs Pelican Parts

Stew F

I was in the market for some parts for my SC which i thought might be hard to source here.  So, from reading so much about PP I jumped on the web and did some shopping.  I've never bought anything from them before.  When it got to Checkout I looked at the price for the freight and went wtf.gif, DEEEELETE. 

So I dropped into the local Porsche Centre this afternoon with my list.  Turns out that everything on my list is available either ex stock or from Melbourne.

1 x Oil S hose ex Melb

1 x Radio delete cover (yep, multiple units in stock in Melbourne)

1 x Oil filter ex stock

2 x Sealing washers (drain plug) ex stock

6 x Fan pulley shims ex Melb.

1 x Fan pulley (single pulley to replace my AC pulley) Ex melb.

PP was AU$357.19 + AU$60.03 postage = AU$417.22

PCSA was $280.55 + a 10 minute chin-wag with the parts guys.

The local guys seem willing to bend over backwards to help us keep these old girls on the road.

Yep I have had the same experience with Porsche centre Doncaster here in Melbourne, Sean there has been fantastic. It should also be noted that if you buy parts from your local Porsche centre they come with a warranty. Something like two years 100K.

The prices are better and parts get here quicker, that and any excuse to look at a new Porsche.

I've ordered from PP a few times. Delivery cost is usually the decider between local Porsche centre and PP.   Delivery from PP can take 2 weeks. 

Often a part may not be in stock as Porsche centres  only keep limited stock locally.  No problem, they get twice weekly deliveries from the main parts store in Germany. 

I've also got parts from Autohaus in Sydney.   It's worth comparing

Having just needed a pile of bits for my 87, I tried PP and a couple of UK sites (design911 & type911).

PP the shipping was horrific, even for small parts so same as you I hit the delete button. Design 911 were pretty good, again only small parts but postage was acceptable and I wasn't in a hurry for the bits, they took 4 days to arrive (ordered Thursday, arrived Monday). Type 911 replied straight away to an email about sending a new fuel tank and were pretty honest on the shipping, they didn't have a good deal for large parts to Oz, but had all the smaller bits at a good price. I ended up at Aporschapart in mordialloc purely because they had the fuel tank I needed, albeit at a pretty eye watering price. The rest of the service parts were very competitive, so I've spent a fair chunk with them in the last week or so. Haven't as yet been to Porsche Brighton, but based on this thread I might give them a go, I'm damn certain I won't have finished buying stuff yet...

I've bought a few parts from Autohaus in the past.  Agree, James' service is 2nd to none.  And 1 Caramello Koala every now & then won't affect my waist line.  I did buy some replacement decals from Design 911 a few months ago.  It came by airmail within a week.

I suppose the main reason I posted was that I read a lot where people buy what seem like general parts from OS suppliers.  After my comparison I will wherever possible continue to buy local (within Australia).   I have been pleasantly surprised with the range of parts that Porsche keep in stock in Australia, and how reasonable the prices generally are.  In fact, the genuine oil filter was $6 cheaper than the Ryco replacement item.  Why would they stock multiple radio delete plates???   I've bought small trim pieces before, as well as a handbrake button & spring, and again, they were all ex Melbourne. Probably had them since the 80's. 

I always shop around for comparison. 

I bought a clutch master cylinder from os but needed O rings not supplied.

PCGC got the 0 rings in the next day. They wanted near to 300 bucks for their part + 0 rings.

Cost me 110 all up.

The OS advantage has degraded somewhat with the drop in currency.  For service items like you have listed, it always makes sense to shop local unless you're already buying a bigger part or two from OS and just get it included.  For heavy items like brakes it almost never makes sense to get in from OS.

With PP postage, you can set up the cart or do the order and email them about reducing the postage if it looks excessive.  PP also carry a good range of aftermarket stuff like air-conditioning parts or whatever else that are not easy to get locally.

I recently tried FCPEuro for the first time for BMW parts and was impressed with their service levels and speed of delivery - 7 days delivered. BMW themselves quoted 14 days on the same part at 3x the price.  FCPEuro also do Porsche parts.  I have found that Porsche parts don't have as large a differential between here and OS as some other brands (BMW and Mercedes, I'm looking at you).

The moral of the story is to shop around and give the order to the best deal, and don't discount your local Porsche centre.

I tend to buy service parts once a year for all my vehicles and it always works out better to just get one bundle with all the air cleaners, oil filters, seals, gaskets, cabin air filters and bits and pieces in one go.   We do the same for shoes - ordering from OS on kids shoes and running shoes and having one big delivery per year saves a bundle because we get absolutely robbed blind in this country for footwear, as we do for car parts.

I recently tried FCPEuro for the first time for BMW parts and was impressed with their service levels and speed of delivery - 7 days delivered. BMW themselves quoted 14 days on the same part at 3x the price.  FCPEuro also do Porsche parts.  I have found that Porsche parts don't have as large a differential between here and OS as some other brands (BMW and Mercedes, I'm looking at you).

+1 for FCP euro. I purchased some Merc bits from there, very good prices and freight + really helpful too!

Yep Merc prices (even the independents) in this country is shameful!! Mercedes are trying to squeeze (quite effectively too!) their distributors from selling to anyone but a Merc dealer! I love the cars but hate the local service/ parts!!

I've been ordering from FCP Euro for a while, but recently bought a windscreen seal, and targa front seal (which is the same as cabriolet)

Admitedly the seals I bought were cheap (but not really cheap) Uro branded ones, and they don't fit at all - I get wind noise through the roof, and the around the windscreen at speed.

FCP Euro's 'Lifetime Warranty' has been pretty pathetic so far. The first suggestion from them was send it back to us and we'll send you a new one. (they're all already fitted to the car) I asked what if I have the same issue with size again and they suggested I give them the measurements of the seal I need..... (I thought 1977 Targa would be sufficient for most places to supply seals)

I've used PP and FCP Euro in the past but now tend to buy either from JustJames at Autohaus or Porsche Centre Brissy. More the latter these days, just rather give a local guy a job rather than someone who lives elsewhere on the planet. And the Porsche Classic program means that everything I've wanted lately has been fairly readily available.

A while back when the dollar was a lot better I priced a cluch kit and associated bits from the local dealership 100 k's away and it came in at about $2700 from memory as well as having to come from Germany - 3 weeks apparently cause I guess planes don't go to Germany. I ended up purchasing from FPC euro for around $700 delivered within a week. PP were about $100 more but this varies with different parts. Since then I have discovered James at Autohaus and for the smaller parts like seals etc the prices were much the same as the overseas sites. I have not priced the big ticket items but I will always go there first in the future plus you get chocolate and all delivered within a few days. If you do need to buy from overseas Australia post now send from the states as well as other sites that make the cost a lot less.

Admitedly the seals I bought were cheap (but not really cheap) Uro branded ones, and they don't fit at all - I get wind noise through the roof, and the around the windscreen at speed.

I have heard similar bad stories about URO parts, best to be avoided I think.

Archived