New Tyres for 15" Fuchs

monty188

I am close to getting a 911 and it is has 7x15 and 8x15 fuchs rims.

I have spent hours going through the threads on tyres  and came to the conclusion that there are not many options if you are running 15's.

I have decided on 205x55xr15 front  and 225x50xr15 rears, the two options I can find locally are the Toyo T1R's and the Pirelli Pzero Asymetrico.

Does anyone run either of these and what are your opinion(s) or is there an option I have missed?

The T1Rs are great tyres. Though I had them in 16s. I have gone back to 15x7 and 15x8 for originality. Running Toyo R888s. 205 50 and 225 50. About $1000 a set? Blown away with the traction. They will wear out fast, but if I don't wear them out fast they will go off. You shouldn't put ugg boots on an athlete.

Street or track usage?

I put Toyo Teo's 195/65 and 215/60 on the 7 and 8's on my former C3 - vintage looks (they are the original 2.7RS sizes) and good performance for street use.

Street usage with the occasional  SMT - nothing too serious.

I ran the toyo t1r on 16" wheels. grippy tyre but weak sidewall. 

Pauly where did you get your Toyo's ?, I am on the same side of town as you

I also run 15's and have Falken ZE912's as a matched pair ....

They have great grip and only run in at about $150 a piece.

You are right though .... very limited options for 15 inch rims.

Dreamr - I will look at the  ZE912 as well , thanks for giving me another option

I ran Toyo T1R on a 3.2 and I was very happy with the grip in summer driving.

I did find that the tread melted and bubbled, not just on track but also on a spirited drive (Eildon to Jamieson Road).

Mine looked exactly like in this pic.  I didn't have those tyres for long so cannot comment on the longevity but it would be a concern.  I also thought that the t1r were being phased out in certain sizes from about 2011.

silverstone_tyre1.jpg

My T1Rs have been great. Plenty of grip for the power of my car and are wearing normally. I can't imagine how hard the car above was driven to get them looking like that. I get the feeling your driving style would be similar to mine in which case you shouldn't have any problems with them.

How the hell did you manage to get them that hot!!! 

Either i drive my car like Ms Daisy or something because i've never managed that. although the sides did look the same with shredded rubber after some spirited driving.  

I've seen you Pauly and I know you don't drive like Miss Daisy...unless the turbo/motor gets a little too hot :P:ph34r:

The Eildon-Jamieson rd is 60km of constant twisties which quite a bit of time for the tyres to be driven hard.

if you google "toyo t1r melting" this seems to be a common issue on car forums.  This quote from piston heads seems like a pretty reasonable explanation:

The problem is those tread blocks wear diagonally and completely bugger up the tyre. The issue is probably partly the compound but also largely the narrow treadblocks which must get pushed around a lot a)generating heat and b)allowing the edges to wear. Compare the numerous thin tread blocks above with what you get on any kind of track tyre:

What's the price difference between the 2? I've run both tyres on BMW's and Subaru's in the past and you get what you pay for in my opinion. The Toyos grip well, wear fast but are cheaper, whereas the Pzeros have always been a great tyre on any car I've put them on. I'll be looking for a set of 16's in the next few weeks for my 3.2, tossing up between Bridgestone or Pirelli depending on what's available at the time. Shame mytyres don't ship to Oz, I'd be having a set of S02's !

I've seen you Pauly and I know you don't drive like Miss Daisy...unless the turbo/motor gets a little too hot :P:ph34r:

The Eildon-Jamieson rd is 60km of constant twisties which quite a bit of time for the tyres to be driven hard.

if you google "toyo t1r melting" this seems to be a common issue on car forums.  This quote from piston heads seems like a pretty reasonable explanation:

The problem is those tread blocks wear diagonally and completely bugger up the tyre. The issue is probably partly the compound but also largely the narrow treadblocks which must get pushed around a lot a)generating heat and b)allowing the edges to wear. Compare the numerous thin tread blocks above with what you get on any kind of track tyre:

:ph34r: currently working on that issue!  But that was really annoying! 
It's sort of a shame that i have not put my current setup to the test with the Achilles 123 semi slicks and KW v3 suspension. only mildly to phillip island and it was mildly wet. 
have some plans for the motor in the next few months. will post about it when i figure out what i'll do to it. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

. I'll be looking for a set of 16's in the next few weeks for my 3.2, tossing up between Bridgestone or Pirelli depending on what's available at the time. Shame mytyres don't ship to Oz, I'd be having a set of S02's !

Mike, a couple of weeks back I put Bridgestone RE003's on my 3.2 (205/55R16 and 225/50R16).  Total cost was $680 ($140 for the front and $200 rear) here in Perth which seems pretty good.  I know they're not 'N' rated, but so far seem pretty solid.

Regards, Rob

Archived