The BMW appreciation thread

Coastr

As the Benz Appreciation Thread was in danger of becoming a BMW discussion thread, I decided to start a new one.

So all those with a Bavarian bahnstormer sharing garage space with a Stuttgart sportscar, post up your pictures and tell your tales.

From roundies, batmobiles and sharknoses, to M cars and 'SAVs' - post one, post all.

I'll get the fun started with a pic or two:

1974_BMW_2002_Turbo_For_Sale_Front_resiz

m3e30sportevo.jpg

7037871-bmw-m5-e39-car.jpg

I've had a few of them over the years being an E46 M3, Z4 M Coupe, 335 for the Mrs and an E30.  The E30 is a keeper which I've current got in storage.  It's a 2.7 ltr M20 turbo which is good enough for a low 12 down the 1/4 at 117 mph.  It surprises a lot of people :)  

Both the M cars were 6 speeds and they really are good fun with a set of 4.10 Motorsport gears but running costs on them are terrible compared to a 911.

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

E92 335i, nice enough car but ride quality in these is terrible with the run flats also don't think the build quality is that great in them (this one was bolted together in Germany not SA).  We didn't keep it long (about 8k) as it was a bit boring and replaced it with another AMG.

Edited by 1q2w3e4r

I miss my 135i.  That thing was wonderful.  N54 Manual...

Catless downpipes and a piggy-back computer - 260kw at the rear wheels.  The N54 has to be one of the greatest production engines of modern times...

(It was actually a dark blue colour)

i-B6PTSpZ-X2.jpg

i-9wcVFnk-X2.jpg

Edited by Tit

My kind of thread! 

The E39 535 isn't much to photograph or look at.  A daily driver that gets parked on the street and is usually quite dirty.  But it's such a comfortable workhorse and i like the fact my daily driver that just cruises around is a V8.  The E39 chassis feels so rigid, and i can really understand why the M5 is so applauded. 

The E30 i miss very much and wish i could have kept.  The handling, road feel and general driving experience is unbelievable.  Because they are quite cheap, all the young blokes are getting them and fitting stupid wheels, steering wheels and assorted silly stuff.  Makes me cringe. 

As some may be aware, I had to let the Carrera 3.2 go and fingers crossed finances / houses etc.. may be sorted in the near future so i'll be looking for a new toy.  Nothing too dear and i'm well and truly out of the air cooled market now, so i think the next best thing will be an M car.  

I'm considering an E34 M5, which you can pick up relatively cheap and i feel they may appreciate in the not to distant future.  So there's a toss up between that or a newer E46 M3, which doesn't have the provenance and were built in larger numbers, but is a little more modern. 

Nice!

mine is the same colour with BBS wheels. 

I need to work out how to post pictures, and after a good wash I'll post a picture. 

Yes, last hand built car and with M1 engine will make it worth collecting. 

If I considered an E46 it would have to be manual. 

e46 coupe in 'stock trim' is an incredible handsome vehicle.  Love the accidental number plate 'shy'.

Nice!

mine is the same colour with BBS wheels. 

I need to work out how to post pictures, and after a good wash I'll post a picture. 

Yes, last hand built car and with M1 engine will make it worth collecting. 

If I considered an E46 it would have to be manual. 

My wheels are genuine BBS OEM BMW branded - style 42.  I grabbed them when BMW NA did a big warehouse clearout and sold them through parts places at dirt cheap prices, for what they are.  I still have the original wheels stuffed in storage, but they are the standard 16 in 5 series style - not sure that I would ever refit them!

Apart from the wheels and a Nokia hands-free unit (so '90s) everything is bone stock.  Been thinking about removing the Nokia unit for maybe 5 years...hate pulling apart dashboards!

e30_325i_aa.thumb.jpg.432af049b0011bf6a3

My old E30

That was a mission trying to upload a photo.. I have another but would be competing for the forum's smallest photo.. I'm not sure how I got the one above to come under the 122kb but not with the others...??

Use an image host website

So guys, what do you think the desirable buys are for a non daily driven BMW?

Keen to hear your reasoning out of interest too.

Bonus points for < $60,000 proposals. 

e46 m3

e36 m3r

i am currently building a 2002 turbo as a non-daily bmw..

E34 M5  and then a 6 series.. Haven't looked recently but I think you can pick up M635Csi for under 50.  I've always like the 635 but there doesn't seem to be too many around.  I wonder how many were sold in Aus? 

plenty of 635's around but not the s38 powered M versions. But that's okay - m30's love boost, and the s38 is a money pit the instant something needs looking at haha

So guys, what do you think the desirable buys are for a non daily driven BMW?

Keen to hear your reasoning out of interest too.

Bonus points for < $60,000 proposals. 

I'm pretty sure e30 m3's are still around at that type of price point (regular models no evos and such) but you'll need to live in a state where LHD registrations are allowed for 15 year old vehicles.  The last one I looked at was $35k but maybe they have doubled since then like 911s.

the e36 and e46 m3s are excellent value right now, no question.  As are e39 and e60 m5s.  Any m-car is a future classic but he newer they are, the more parts they will eat. The 6-series suffers the 928 curse if being a luxury coupe mainly sold in automatics.

going further down the food chain any 2-door e30 is pretty good, though prices are getting up and finis in a nice original one like norms photo above is hard.  

$60k should buy you a fleet of nice BMWs, not just one.

I had to fly to Canberra for that one haha.

very specifically wanted one in purple (because reasons).

e36 m3's are decent value these days, pretty good chunk of car for the money!

are you bored with it??