To wave in the outback or not to wave.

Niko

travelled between Woomera and just arrived at Coober Pedy.

trying to work out who exactly waves to who in the outback.

good competition between Mrs Niko and myself as each vehicle approaches.

Soooooo we have worked out...

No waving to the truckies in the big rigs, no response there.

don't bother waving to the overseas tourists in the JUICE orcBRITZ mini vans, they just don't get it.

fellow old farts towing vans yes, they are happy to say G,day.

most 4wd's with crap stacked on the roofs, yep also friendly,

Govt and related 4wd, nope bugger your wave.

just when I have decided who I am going to wVe to and who I'm not going to wave to....

someone in a juice van waves.....eeeerrrrggghhh damn

off  to the Alice tomorrow, so will be honing our skills.

need to do something to break the boredom

I find that when traveling in the country its mainly locals and caravaners that wave. And police.

Interesting how you can break the boredom on a long trip. On my way back from mount gambier yesterday I surveyed how many people drive with their lights on in the country. The result was 31%.

I have driven country South Australia for almost 4 years now, almost on a weekly basis. I have driven this great state in my farm ute, the ute with a caravan on the back, the 930, Ambulances, Police vehicles, 4X4s, and my Subaru wagon.

I have worked in every corner of the state. From the APY Lands to Ceduna to Pt Kenny to Yunta to Pt. Mac Donnell then Oodnadatta and back.... regularly. . I drive a lot, not to mention living in the country.... so I know the wave. I did 2000 km last week alone and still have about 50,000 km to travel before next May.

I think location has as much to do with it as the people, time of day and dare I say it.... gender.

At the moment, I am one of those Government sorts in the 200 series Land Cruiser covered in antennas. For 2 years I drove an Ambulance fully stickered up, with all my tools and radios in the back. You get sick of waving in an Ambulance in the country, as everybody out there knows somebody in, or has relied on the service at one time or another.

The further you are from civilization you are, the more people wave. The road between Ceduna and Streaky Bay, everybody waves.

Some basics I have observed....

New Porsche drivers don't wave at old Porsche drivers.

Farmers wave to farm utes.

Everybody waves at an Ambulance.

The quieter and more remote the road, the more people wave.

Caravaners wave to caravaners.

4X4s wave at 4X4s.

In the 930 when I wave, or give the thumbs up to any pre 1980 car that catches my eye...  they respond in the same manner.

Dare I say... when you prompt a wave at everybody between Pt Augusta and Marla, the least response comes from women. I know, I have tested it.

I could go on about the wave but I have work to do here on the farm before I hit the road again next week.

Are you passing through Perth Niko?  What wheels are you in?

g'day Norm, no mate, up as far as Tennant Creek, chuck a righty through Mt Isa, then a lefty to Normanton.   Across to Mt Garnet and then up to Cooktown.  That is stage one of the adventure.   Just arrived at Alice half an hour ago, 30' So enjoying a beer on the balcony after a long drive.   In the CX7 about 2500k done and all good about 7500k to home. Petrol ULP $1.82 at Kulgera.

Agree Shady, the lady folk don't wave

Hey Niko, are you staying at TNK ?  RSL puts on a good feed.  Don't stop at Three Ways (19k's further up the road) if you can avoid it, get fuel at TNK then stop again at Barkly Homestead, if you need to.  Food will be more hygenic too. Nothing in between !

Doesn't sound like you had a chance to look around Coober Pedy.

More waving ahead across the Barkly

Thanks for those tips Brian, staying at Tennant Creek on Wednesday night, so if the RSL is open we will certainly give it a go.   Fuel stops sound good, cheers.;)

we have been to Coober Pedy a couple of times before and done the little bus trips out and around the area.      Certainly an interesting place though...sorta nice place to visit, but I don't think I'd like to live there...:mellow:

Thanks for those tips Brian, staying at Tennant Creek on Wednesday night, so if the RSL is open we will certainly give it a go.   Fuel stops sound good, cheers.;)

we have been to Coober Pedy a couple of times before and done the little bus trips out and around the area.      Certainly an interesting place though...sorta nice place to visit, but I don't think I'd like to live there...:mellow:

I usually stayed at the caravan park at TNK.  Basic, clean and quiet.  Jan, the owner, is really helpful with where to go and where to avoid.  She is a real go getter.  Owns the caravan park, does the aircraft refuelling and passenger check in and owns a concrete pump truck business.

No fuel between Barkly and Cammoweal.  You can get a tea or coffee at Avon Downs…free.  It is serve yourself on the verandah of the Police Station but only powdered milk.

Fuel won't get cheaper until Mt Isa then increases in price after.  Would love to take the P over the road east of Isa.  Didn't see any but have been told the cars with disco lights like the road too.

Cheers

Haha well right on the border as you cross into the NT,  someone had changed the signs to read 180 instead of 130, and it was a good job?   Not sure if that Defence will stand up in court or not if you happened to  get pinged.

(kick myself shoulda got a photo)

We are still in Alice till Wednesday, but in all honesty I am being a bit of a nanna with he CX and just cruise controlling on 100k as every one zips past us.   Long way to go yet so don't want to stress the old girl out, (or the CX for that matter:P)

might get adventurous and push it up to 110 on that stretch you mention on Wednesday.

I usually stayed at the caravan park at TNK.  Basic, clean and quiet.  Jan, the owner, is really helpful with where to go and where to avoid.  She is a real go getter.  Owns the caravan park, does the aircraft refuelling and passenger check in and owns a concrete pump truck business.

No fuel between Barkly and Cammoweal.  You can get a tea or coffee at Avon Downs…free.  It is serve yourself on the verandah of the Police Station but only powdered milk.

Fuel won't get cheaper until Mt Isa then increases in price after.  Would love to take the P over the road east of Isa.  Didn't see any but have been told the cars with disco lights like the road too.

Cheers

We have pre booked the whole trip, mainly motels and a couple of caravan park cabins.

we are in a Motel at TNK, can't remember which one off hand.

the "free coffee" at Avon Downs sounds interesting.    Look forward to having a chat with the local bushy tail there.

the disco cars won't have to worry about this pair of dithering old grey nomads, but so far the roads are in excellent condition and it would be great to be able to wring a porkers neck on them.

seen a few dead Roos and emu's on the side of the road, but haven't actually seen any live ones (kangarooters) yet, so all good there.

Coober Pedy is an interesting place, but Painted Desert and The Breakaways are the highlights of the area IMO.

Archived