McFadden

Ugrading porsche sound

This is a handy thread since I'm currently looking for a replacement for the disco light head unit in my 928. I'd love to find a Blaupunkt RDM 42 London which it was delivered with but they're impossible to find and would probably cost a bomb anyway.

So I like the look of the one @Ozvino installed. I'm totally clueless about this stuff though. Is DAB important?

Anyone know of other options that don't look crap?

Otherwise, I might just pull the trigger on the Continental. The eBay seller's price goes up and down a bit. Currently at 200EUR. There are a couple of other sites selling it but not sure about shipping.

This is a handy thread since I'm currently looking for a replacement for the disco light head unit in my 928. I'd love to find a Blaupunkt RDM 42 London which it was delivered with but they're impossible to find and would probably cost a bomb anyway.

So I like the look of the one @Ozvino installed. I'm totally clueless about this stuff though. Is DAB important?

Anyone know of other options that don't look crap?

Otherwise, I might just pull the trigger on the Continental. The eBay seller's price goes up and down a bit. Currently at 200EUR. There are a couple of other sites selling it but not sure about shipping.

Luke your GTS may have been delivered with a head unit in it that Porsche Australia swapped in to combat poor reception. In my experience track down an old head unit and put it away - you will miss the mod cons - streaming music, Bluetooth phone etc. I think these continental units are great, good balance of looks and new technology. They are made by VDO so the quality is good. 

DAB is good but wasn't a deal breaker for me. The shipper I bought it from was very efficient and reliable so may be worth considering. 

Cheers

Dave

@Ozvino, where did you place the DAB aerial?   Unit looks great in your car.

Mark I got lazy - just poked it up into the dash recess and it seems to work. I'm not sure where to put it long term, not sure I want to stick it on the glass

I see the seller I used has a non Bluetooth/non-DAB version for sale. If your happy plugging your phone or memory stick into the USB slot on the front this would be a good cheaper alternative. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331979844081 

Edited by Ozvino

Luke your GTS may have been delivered with a head unit in it that Porsche Australia swapped in to combat poor reception. In my experience track down an old head unit and put it away - you will miss the mod cons - streaming music, Bluetooth phone etc. I think these continental units are great, good balance of looks and new technology. They are made by VDO so the quality is good. 

DAB is good but wasn't a deal breaker for me. The shipper I bought it from was very efficient and reliable so may be worth considering. 

Cheers

Dave

Mark I got lazy - just poked it up into the dash recess and it seems to work. I'm not sure where to put it long term, not sure I want to stick it on the glass

Dave, pics or it didn't happen...

I installed the non-CD version in our previous 964. Very happy with it. If you don't like the chrome rings on the dials, the whole dial pulls off and you can unscrew the ring from the back and paint it matte black. Suited the chrome-free 964 interior.

I1992_964_C2_006_zpsuhc80lhb.jpg

Itsu, no misgivings about this unit? Really important to me that the Bluetooth works well for hands free phone use and for playing music off my phone including Spotify. Also needs to connect to my phone automatically. Manual pairing is a pain.

Cheers.

A new option for classic cars that has just hit the market and may be suitable for some here is a Phoenix Gold bluetooth amp.

It has RCA inputs and bluetooth so can be hidden and phone used to stream music and nav voice prompts directly from your phone. They can also be daisy chained for more advanced set ups

Linky

Itsu, no misgivings about this unit? Really important to me that the Bluetooth works well for hands free phone use and for playing music off my phone including Spotify. Also needs to connect to my phone automatically. Manual pairing is a pain.

Cheers.

No, it was a very good unit for the price. Although the CD9303 we have in the other car is slightly better IMO. One on eBay currently:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VDO-AM-FM-RADIO-CD-TUNER-MP3-WMA-INTEGRATED-BLUETOOTH-KIA-HYUNDAI-CD9303UB-/162204976130?hash=item25c42b8402:g:pbMAAOSwLF1X24BB

@Original poster there is a MOST to RCA output box you can get for <$150 (don't quote me) it allows you to keep your factory head unit and use a standard amplifier for the frunk to power the stock speakers.

FYI take note of the factory bose speaker ohm rating as they are 2ohm so you'll need to find a decent quality amp that has no ohm restrictions if you go down the aftermarket path without replacing the speakers.

And I thought this thread was about the exhaust sound, thats really all you need, a nice AC sound or Pork Chops's GT3. Phone compatibility , what the.....

I have an old 1980 blaupunkt that's been retrofitted with an AuxIn cable. Just plug my phone in and control it from my smart watch :)

K0nz, Can you tell me how the Auxiliary cable has been wired?