Fister Exhaust Mod for 997 Carrera S

Raven

Hello Members 

I am new here and just wanted to draw of the experience and knowledge of long term members and ask a question about Fister Mod on my 997 Carrera S mufflers 

Specifically is there anyone in Australia who you could recommend to do this exhaust Mod as I am not very good with a welder and really don,t want to go through the trouble of posting them to the U.S to get it done ,some one in Oz must be able to do it .......???   CHEERS

Fister Mod pictured below 

fister b.jpg

5Fister_996_997_Modification.jpg

fister a.jpg

Edited by Raven

Hey mate, nice to meet you! I'm fairly new myself. I have heard of this mod but don't have too much input to it.   

Personally I would recommend a set of sports mufflers rather than modifying yours only because you can get some weight reduction with certain mufflers. I have a cargraphic exhaust couldn't recommend it enough! 

But I guess if you're just after a bit more sound any exhaust shop would do this for you. 

Cheers! 

Hi Dan

I have heard the cargraphic system and do love it,s sound ,,,,,but I just can,t justify spending the cash on it ..........I find the stock exhaust on my Carrera S just to quiet and want to get  some more of that classic flat 6 sound out of it ,,,she is just to quiet ,,want to liven it up and sound better ,,,not after any real performance  gains ....the other option is fitting a X pipe with 100 cell cats ,,,less restrictive and speeds up the exhaust flow a little ............I am sort of in two minds as to which way to go ,,,if you know what I mean ............:unsure: 

Edited by Raven

Hey yeah totally understand! Although well worth it, the complete exhaust is quite pricey but just the muffles wouldn't set you back too much. They are a diy installation if you're game! 

There is one other sound related engine mid you can do and that's keep your helmholtz resonator in your airbox closed. It's a box that's designed to mute intake noise above a certain rpm range. Keeping it closed increases the noise! 

Cheers 

Yes I have seen the mods done on the helmholtz resonator in the S air box on Pelican forum one is disconnect the vac hose on the back of the air box and seal it of with a rubber hose stop so the valve no longer operates ,,,the other I have seen is to put a plastic oil bottle top in the rubber hose on top of the valve to block it off ,,,,I think I will go with the first option in the near future   ...................:D 

I have a fabspeed exhaust which is what I've used whenever I am tracking the car because it does offer a weight & performance improvement (verified on the dyno) but I also have a fister style exhaust mod on the stock exhaust and it sounds truly sweet - people are always commenting favourably on it. I took mine to an engineering shop in the UK to have them welded. up.

I am thinking if I do it I will cut all the holes in the mufflers and get the bends ready and then just take the mufflers to a local exhaust shop to get them welded up ,,,,I would rather go down this track first to see what the sound difference is ,,before spending big dollars on a aftermarket system ,,,any pic,s or advice on doing the Mod would be greatly appreciated ........Thanks :D

Edited by Raven

Raven,

I did this mod to my 997S about 4 weeks ago and like you, didn't want to spend big bucks on an aftermarket system...particularly as all the forums I've read claim it to be a worthwhile mod.

I removed the cans myself..

IMAG0992_zps1cgm8pye.jpg

delivered them to a local exhaust shop (Mild To Wild) with a couple of pics on my phone and they did the job for $50.00 a side.

IMAG1001_zpsivocolzg.jpg

I'm happy with the result but my better half (whose not really into cars) was suitably impressed.  She said, "Wow, now it finally sounds like a sports car".

All the validation I needed :D

Yes they look great steiny and quit inexpensive $50 a side compared to 7  or 8 K in after market systems ...

.I am going to get the piece,s  together over the next few weeks and do the same ,,,,,I will post up pic,s as I progress ,,should be fun...........

I was under the impression the mufflers could be removed with out taking  the rear bumper off ,,is this the case or have I been misinformed ..........?? 

Edited by Raven

You can get them off without rear bumper removal if you have access to a lift.  It'd be a bit of a squeeze otherwise.

After having now done it, removing the rear bumper is really only a 40 minute job, even for a noob like me.  It wasn't as complicated as I thought it might be and it all went back together easily (german engineering at work).  I followed the guide on Pelican.  It did make it a lot easier to get the mufflers out and gave me a chance a clear out a bunch of loose stones\gravel which had been trapped and rattling around in the rear wheel arches.

It was an enjoyable project with minimal effort.

I've found the mod doesn't affect the db levels on idle (great) but produces a fantastic note in the range of 3k-4k rpm.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I went with a set of mufflers from Hitech Mufflers which made an improvement over the stock sound 

Looking at this mod (Fister), it appears to do what the Porsche valve would do in the "sport" mode.

One thing I am considering, is a set of muffler delete by-pass pipes.

So, my question is, would the muffler delete by-pass pipes produce the same / similar  effect as the Fister mod ?

From what I read on other forums rennlist , Pelican etc the by pass pipes are great for Hp and also give you a really loud aggressive note from the car ,,,but the down side is the drown you get when cruising at street legal speeds in the lower RPM range,,,,,many say it is unbearable after a week or so and go back to mufflers . The fister Mod is very similar to sport mode sound on the cars with the Active exhausts 997.2,,it is no were near as loud as the by pass pipes and is also a very cost effective Mod in comparison to after market exhaust components for these cars 

Edited by Raven

• 1 year later...

Raven,

I did this mod to my 997S about 4 weeks ago and like you, didn't want to spend big bucks on an aftermarket system...particularly as all the forums I've read claim it to be a worthwhile mod.

I removed the cans myself..

IMAG0992_zps1cgm8pye.jpg

delivered them to a local exhaust shop (Mild To Wild) with a couple of pics on my phone and they did the job for $50.00 a side.

IMAG1001_zpsivocolzg.jpg

I'm happy with the result but my better half (whose not really into cars) was suitably impressed.  She said, "Wow, now it finally sounds like a sports car".

All the validation I needed :D

I really like the idea that you take the bumper off and take the mufflers to the exhaust shop as this can save up some dollars.

i have quote with few Sydney local shops that can do the gunny hack they charge 800-1000 which I think it's way to expensive for this mod.

i think I can do like what you did and just wondering if any shop in Sydney can do this at approx 50 a side?

I really like the idea that you take the bumper off and take the mufflers to the exhaust shop as this can save up some dollars.

i have quote with few Sydney local shops that can do the gunny hack they charge 800-1000 which I think it's way to expensive for this mod.

i think I can do like what you did and just wondering if any shop in Sydney can do this at approx 50 a side?

Taking the front and rear bumper off a 996/997 is relatively straight forward, its only a few bolts. Plenty of videos and instructions on it too.

Taking the front and rear bumper off a 996/997 is relatively straight forward, its only a few bolts. Plenty of videos and instructions on it too.

thanks, I think I can learn to do it. 

Anyone knows where I can do the gunno hack in relatively inexpensive cost? In Sydney. I live in inner west but I'm happy to travel within 50km.

• 2 weeks later...

Penrith City Exhaust (02) 4721 3838 Eddie is the man $200 to do both mufflers you have to remove them and he will do the bypass work

Hi thanks for your information. I have done it with Eddie and he is a nice guy and did good job on my car. It's much louder now . However I don't feel any big difference in idle but turning on the car and acceleration is now very attractive compare to the stock sound.

Yeh mine is like that too a little more rumble at idle over stock ,,,,pleasant and refined while cruising ,,,,but when you get on it ,,,you get that distinct flat 6 howl that puts a smile on your dial .........best value for money mod if you ask me ,,,glad you enjoy it :D

Mine were modified locally by Penrith City Exhaust and he just did Tong,s car I went 1 inch and 3/4 bypass pipe

Penrith City Exhaust (02) 4721 3838 Eddie is the man $200 to do both mufflers you have to remove them and he will do the bypass work or alternatively he can remove them for an additional cost :D

Hi Raven, 

How much were the Fister mufflers including shipping from the US ?

Cheers
Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

I ordered the Fister sports exhaust from Darin FD Motorsports a few weeks ago. They took around 2 weeks to fabricate and a little over a week to ship. Darin uses USPS with tracking which quotes 6-10 days.  The Fister cost me in USD: 

Fister 997.1 non-S sport mufflers with exchange $325
Velvet Black $225
Shipping $305
CORE FEE $550 refunded upon good core returns
Total $1405 ($855 after core refund)

I had the exhaust sent directly to Autohaus Hamilton in Sydney and took around 3 hours to fit. This general fitment time may be less, as my Porsche OEM tips on the previous mufflers were welded on, so ended up purchasing new Dansk dual sport tips. The Porsche tips were way too expensive at $650 plus gst per side. I kept my old mufflers,  because the porsche tips are still attached and the return shipping would eat into too much of the core fee refund offered by Darin. 

So a lot more expensive than what Tong had fitted. Hope this helps.

Michael