996 GT2 In Car action

DJM

driver dynamics track day today.  Car ran perfectly all day.  Video below is early in the day still finding braking points and right gear.  Great day, left mid afternoon after 5 sessions.  JimTT was there with a bunch of guys in Lambos, Maclaren 650S, M4 etc.  also a 996 GT3, a couple of 991s, 997 Turco, Cayman S & GTS.  I got to chase Maclaren and Lambo during passenger laps, they both had enough mumbo to out drag me down the straight.   

8594859C-1E3B-46AE-AE1B-5D4AF3D4BABF.jpg

12FDF3D8-6C7C-4E91-9BE2-94D4EFEC32AB.jpg

2407D1FA-BBE3-47A8-9819-951806ACB6C8.jpg

3C6CC4DE-05C0-4D84-946B-41396B59BF38.jpg

That's a good lap - you obviously know how to get around that circuit.

I was at the Driver Dynamics day on the 19th of Sep but was the only Porsche there.  The one this weekend looks like a very good collection of cars.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the compliments.  I took an instructor out in one session.  The key learning was to brake later and MUCH HARDER which is hard to train your brain to do.  Need big coconuts to do that consistently, charging into the kink at the end of the back straight at 230+ Is hairy enough without staying flat for longer and braking later.

My best was a 1:21.  Fast enough for me but  I see peter Fitzgerald did 1:14 (!) at PCV Sandown recently in a clients 997 GT2 (which I believe has over 700hp).  Given V8 Supercars are 1:09 or so that's incredible for a road car.  No doubt ny car can go several seconds faster in the right hands.

Great fun though.

There's a combined cars & coffee and driver dynamics track day at Sandown coming up - could be very cool but it's on 20 December which is not ideal as I assume, like me, most people are pretty hectic at that time of year.

• 1 month later...

Maserati club track day.  Perfect sunny conditions.  Plenty of track time due to low entries.

car ran perfectly again but is down a bit on boost so speeds were much less than last time out.  Eg. 240 vs 265 main straight, 1:49-1:50 is best I could do compared to 1:47 last time in my first tentative venture on track in the GT2.  Need to get Fitzgerald to turn up the wick....

Audi brought 2 brand new R8 LMS race cars in 2 B double transporters and I found myself driving around looking in the mirrors for Garth Tander and other pro drivers appearing out of nowhere and blasting past.  Shame the phone ran out of battery so I didn't get video.  Just awesome.  Cars were having their first shakedown in preparation for Bathurst 12 hour (Lowndes and Tamder will be driving apparently).  The crew reckon they can do mid 1:20s.....  Also a Ferrari 458 GT3 doing 1.33s.  Chased a 458 Speciale and he was jusssst faster, happy with that. 

I downloaded Harry's lap timer, $24.99 from App Store.  Camzilla mount on the roll cage for iPhone 6 and use Harry's to record video & data.  It uses the iPhone GPS to collect data and then it's a simple exercise, click a button to overlay data on the video.  Couldn't be simpler or cheaper! 

• 8 months later...

Archived