911R ?

Oldmxnut

Sorry Skidmarks, I think you'll find the evolution of the 356, 901 to G series was more than deleting clip-on parts and slapping on some stripes. This car is not a 'new 911' but rather a fantastic example of Porsche product marketing - simple. 

No issue if your into that kind of thing, but it's far from what the 'R' car of the past is and what it stood for - that's the annoying part. 

Reminds me of this;

I get that.  Agree its a brand and badge exercise.  My point was more that with each change or leveraging of brand, some of the "demographic" get their coil leads in a knot.  Re the "R", the first use of the name "Carrera" on long run production models is something that springs to mind. 

• 5 years later...

I stumbled on this old thread while looking for something else. I don't think the market for 911R is big enough in Australia to get a handle on current values but by the look of the cars for sale elsewhere, the 911R was the best new Porsche to invest in over the past decade. 

I've just extended the warranty on mine for another 4 years. It's never given me any problems but it is probably worth the $5K if I ever decide to sell it. 

Will the 992 series also bring with it a limited model? 

7 hours ago, mhh said:

I stumbled on this old thread while looking for something else. I don't think the market for 911R is big enough in Australia to get a handle on current values but by the look of the cars for sale elsewhere, the 911R was the best new Porsche to invest in over the past decade. 

I've just extended the warranty on mine for another 4 years. It's never given me any problems but it is probably worth the $5K if I ever decide to sell it. 

Will the 992 series also bring with it a limited model? 

I have heard on various podcasts that Porsche have a 992 911 sport classic in the works but details seem inconsistent and predictions on specs seem to be a bit all over the shop. Have heard everything right from a twin turbo 600 hp manual down to it being a Carrera S with a special trim package 🤷‍♂️

From reliable sources in Germany.

Regular 3.8 Turbo engine (550hp) Not the Turbo S engine because manual box is torque limited.

Manual only

Turbo body but with rear induction vents closed.

Bubble roof.

Duck Tail.

Very limited production with a price in Germany that is 20-25% more than a Turbo S.

26 minutes ago, WGA said:

From reliable sources in Germany.

Regular 3.8 Turbo engine (550hp) Not the Turbo S engine because manual box is torque limited.

Manual only

Turbo body but with rear induction vents closed.

Bubble roof.

Duck Tail.

Very limited production with a price in Germany that is 20-25% more than a Turbo S.

Hearing the same.  

No side intake scoops.

Manual only 

Turbo engine but rwd only

no big rear wing and turbo body. 

1 hour ago, WGA said:

price in Germany that is 20-25% more than a Turbo S.

Wow! That is a very expensive trim package. I have no doubt they will all sell, but that price sounds excessive for what they are offering.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Wow! That is a very expensive trim package. I have no doubt they will all sell, but that price sounds excessive for what they are offering.

Yes it’s expensive but….fully justified IMHO if it turns out to be a manual Turbo. That’s not just a trim package but a genuinely unique model.

3 hours ago, WGA said:

Yes it’s expensive but….fully justified IMHO if it turns out to be a manual Turbo. That’s not just a trim package but a genuinely unique model.

Last RWD manual turbo was the 997 GT2RS, so yes… definitely unique! 

3 hours ago, WGA said:

You’ve got it.  It’s not trim package…!