2017 Macan Turbo & GTS ordered

edgy

• 3 months later...

So Dad ordered a Macan GTS today in the new Volcano Grey and I've gotta say its going to be a GREAT looking car when its built! :)

Best of all, it looks like it'll be delivered the same time as our Turbo...so we've requested a father & son delivery.  

Specs:

Macan GTS
95BAS1

Exterior Colour

Volcano Grey Metallic
2H

Interior Colour

Leather interior package GTS with Alcantara, Black
FA

Exterior

LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
8IS

ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View
8A4

Sideblades painted in exterior colour
6H1

SportDesign exterior mirrors Exclusive
6FB

Transmission / Chassis

Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
G1D

Air suspension with levelling system and ride-height adjustment including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
1BK

Wheels

20-inch RS Spyder Design wheels, black
41L

Interior

Lane Change Assist
7Y7

Comfort lighting package (In conjunction with memory package)
PP8

Adaptive sports seats with comfort memory package (18-way)
PE6

Seat heating (front)
4A3

Interior Aluminium

Brushed aluminium interior package in black
5TH

Audio / Comm.

BOSE® Surround Sound System
9VL

Renders: 

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%204.22.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%204.22.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%204.22.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%204.21.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%204.22.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%204.22.0

I was all fired up for a GTS, great value relative to a base car given it comes loaded with plenty of gear and looks great.  I'd negotiated what seemed a reasonable deal at mid 120s with a few upgrades.  To finalise my order, I went down to PCB a couple of weeks ago and drove a Diesel, S and Turbo back to back.  GTS would be between S and Turbo on power.  

Unfortunately, i came away unimpressed with the petrol engines.  The S seemed overworked in a heavy body and felt sluggish.  Even the turbo, while fast enough, felt a lot slower and less exciting than I expected and sounded crap relative to my M135i that I'm replacing.  Each to their own of course but surprisingly I actually preferred the Diesel - scandalous but probably because of the 2T weight, the low rev torque suited it better.  Revving the tits off the petrol engines just felt odd in an SUV.  But a Diesel with options costs more than a GTS!  They need a GTS look and spec with SQ5 engine at GTS price then I'd be happy.

I concluded performance car and SUV are mutually exclusive, for me at least.  So I drove a Cayenne Diesel which felt dated and cumbersome by comparison and about $30k more than equivalent spec new generation Q7.  Q7 is an impressive drive but it's a big bland bus albeit much better value.  Also drove an SQ5, pretty good and cheap by comparison but dated platform and interior relative to Macan.  Back to the drawing board - i guess I'll be waiting for next gen Cayenne, SQ5 and maybe F Pace.  

I was all fired up for a GTS, great value relative to a base car given it comes loaded with plenty of gear and looks great.  I'd negotiated what seemed a reasonable deal at mid 120s with a few upgrades.  To finalise my order, I went down to PCB a couple of weeks ago and drove a Diesel, S and Turbo back to back.  GTS would be between S and Turbo on power.  

Unfortunately, i came away unimpressed with the petrol engines.  The S seemed overworked in a heavy body and felt sluggish.  Even the turbo, while fast enough, felt a lot slower and less exciting than I expected and sounded crap relative to my M135i that I'm replacing.  Each to their own of course but surprisingly I actually preferred the Diesel - scandalous but probably because of the 2T weight, the low rev torque suited it better.  Revving the tits off the petrol engines just felt odd in an SUV.  But a Diesel with options costs more than a GTS!  They need a GTS look and spec with SQ5 engine at GTS price then I'd be happy.

I concluded performance car and SUV are mutually exclusive, for me at least.  So I drove a Cayenne Diesel which felt dated and cumbersome by comparison and about $30k more than equivalent spec new generation Q7.  Q7 is an impressive drive but it's a big bland bus albeit much better value.  Also drove an SQ5, pretty good and cheap by comparison but dated platform and interior relative to Macan.  Back to the drawing board - i guess I'll be waiting for next gen Cayenne, SQ5 and maybe F Pace.  

my wife has the SQ5. A seriously good value car and quick. The next gen one is bound to give the macan a run for it might money in the looks department. It never really feels right going fast in an SUV though. My plan is to go back to the last family wagon I owned - b7rs4.  Proper power and sound ;) and you can pick up a second hand one for $65k

• 3 months later...

Small update, I went into see my SA last night. Our car has locked as at the 6th of June and we have a VIN #, so it will be built very shortly... oddly enough they have already built the old boys ride on the same day our order locked, lets see who gets theirs first! 

Mrs edgy is getting excited now.. :) 

• 3 months later...

We went down to PCSS yesterday to sign off registration docs, we got a quick look at Dad's GTS whilst we were there, I really love the new Volcano Grey! 

IMG_2319_zpsn15ulzyk.jpg

He optioned it with the newly added 918 style LED headlights, I think they look wicked! 

FullSizeRender_zpst8on09dy.jpg

Archived