Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Hey guys,

As some of you may know, a few months ago I bought myself a very tired, neglected, '74 911. It had been sitting outside for 10 years so it has a few little rust issues etc, but being converted US delivered, factory non sunroof car, I thought it would be the perfect donor for my Hot Rod project car.

My idea is to build the car I like, which is basically the look of a '73 RSR, but with an interior more like a Singer. I want the car to be something that is fun and reasonably comfortable to take on an SMT, but also something I can take on track days and hopefully Classic Adelaide in The near future.

I'm not certain on what I am doing with the engine yet. Currently it has a 2.7 which has pulled head studs. My initial plan is to rebuild that engine and get the car on the road (as I have never driven it), but I will be looking at some form of upgrade in the future. I am not looking for all out speed, as I have always been a fan of driving a slower car to its limits, as opposed to just making the car faster and faster in a straight line.

The plan with this car is that I will be doing every part of the build myself, and I thought instead of just taking a few pictures of the build as I go, it would be good to film the entire thing as I go, so for those who are interested they can watch my actual progress. So I have a disclaimer to start that I am not a professional presenter (or car builder for that matter), so you can't expect too much, but hopefully it should be interesting.

C5A861BF-F1AD-4A7A-AAA3-4EC9A673923F_zps

Quick stop after meeting the seller half way in Albury.

17F06F8B-59BE-4AA8-818F-C4046344B7F0_zps

Getting ready to unload after getting home.

C1BECC5F-687D-4AA1-9EA4-C77B4743C971_zps

D66E3B09-8B47-4E02-9099-48046DF671EE_zps

Some of the rust patches i found under the very thick, flaky, bog.

389FE1AE-8E57-4F85-8C6F-945ED17F590B_zps

The very tired 2.7

Good luck. looks like a big project you have on your hands.

Love your choice of tow vehicle :)

Haha, thanks. The V8 in the Merc doesn't even notice the trailer on the back. I just set the cruise control and the speedo didn;t move the whole way home.

LOVE that Cayman!

Unfortunately I have sold on the Cayman now. It just wasn't very comfortable or practical for a daily driver. At least that one, being lowered with the Remus exhaust. I 'down graded' it to an Audi S5, which is actually faster and 100x more comfortable. 

...though I wish to ask about the hand prints on the hood. Seems like it has some other 'uses'? ;)

Maybe I just love the air cooled cars a little too much.....?

impressive vid (and garage) mate. You look like you know what you are doing there. Really interesting to see the inner workings of a converted car - even more scary than I thought...

good luck with the project

I was interested in seeing how the conversion was done as well. The main thing I was always worried about was the safety aspect. I doesn't look as pretty but with the steering pick up being central, they just flip it to the other side. But maybe I just don't mind because I have done a lot more extreme mods on my track cars in the past. 

Geoff crack on mate - great work. I reckon strip the harness out of the car - sure its a hassle to get out and in one piece. But given the monster you're wrangling and the build your doing gives you a Cpl of options. Full check of factory harness , cur out shit put in new as needed etc or go new custom harness and delete all the unnecessary 

cheers Michel

Geoff crack on mate - great work. I reckon strip the harness out of the car - sure its a hassle to get out and in one piece. But given the monster you're wrangling and the build your doing gives you a Cpl of options. Full check of factory harness , cur out shit put in new as needed etc or go new custom harness and delete all the unnecessary 

cheers Michel

I am also a lazy bastard. But you are right. I just need to bite the bullet and strip it all out....

Urrgh, not looking forward to that at all...

Great effort mate. Like many on here, I would love to tackle a resto project like this but after watching your movie and seeing really what is involved, I doubt I have the skills to put it all back together (stripping seems much easier and fun). 

Good luck and watching with interest and envy.

Lol. Watching the video back it looks easy too. But I did edit out heaps in the time lapse, otherwise it would be a lot longer and a lot more boring ;)

Oh and I haven't put it back together yet, so we will see how that goes when I get there :D

Ok, so I have now stripped the whole body down to bare metal, and spent a heap of time getting the glue from the interiors sound deadening off. 

Here is the latest vid.

P.S. Sorry about the shaky video, I will endeavour to fix this for future updates.

Edited by MFX