Home built Hot Rod

MFX

pretty sure that plastic thing is the fuel expansion tank - 911 201 073 00

Ok, I have never come across one before. So I assume that would be so on hot days it would collect excess vapour?

I have a plan for the dust when I am done, to go around with a blower and a big extraction fan when I am finished. Hopefully that will agitate the dust and I can extract most of it.

Halfway through stripping my car, I ended up having the grinder in one hand, and an industrial vacuum cleaner in the other. Tricky, but it helped quite a bit until I hit the 10mm of bog in both doors, then it was like an explosion in a chalk factory!  

Halfway through stripping my car, I ended up having the grinder in one hand, and an industrial vacuum cleaner in the other. Tricky, but it helped quite a bit until I hit the 10mm of bog in both doors, then it was like an explosion in a chalk factory!  

Haha. That is pretty much what I experienced, just that the whole car pretty much, seemed to be covered in 10mm of bog.

• 2 weeks later...

That rust doesn't look too bad. (says he from the comfort of the lounge room)  Obviously the previous repairs will take some effort but at least you can just crop off the bodgy rear wheel arches to fit your nice new metal.  Rust around the lower windscreen channel and the front fender/A pillar join seems to be pretty common.  Hughesy's Unicorn has similar issues.   I'd love to get stuck into my car and clean it up but I'm terrified of the surprises I'd find. 

Keep it coming, Jeff.  Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

That rust doesn't look too bad. (says he from the comfort of the lounge room)  Obviously the previous repairs will take some effort but at least you can just crop off the bodgy rear wheel arches to fit your nice new metal.  Rust around the lower windscreen channel and the front fender/A pillar join seems to be pretty common.  Hughesy's Unicorn has similar issues.   I'd love to get stuck into my car and clean it up but I'm terrified of the surprises I'd find. 

Keep it coming, Jeff.  Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

I actually agree with you. When I first saw the car with the thick bog flaking off, and rust showing through from underneath. I was sure I was going to have a lot more rust than I ended up with. One of the benefits of having a converted car I have noticed, is that the dash pad and surrounding bits are in much better nick than most equally neglected Aussie cars I have seen. Probably because the dash is so much newer.

Hey Jeff,

Can I ask what you used to remove the sound deadening glue from the interior, I'm at this stage on my own project. 

I wish I had an easier way, but I used some thinners on a rag. It was just a couple of hours of rubbing away. I wish there were an easier way. I know when I took the sound deadening out of a 180sx years ago, the cheat way was to hit it with a CO2 extinguisher and then hit is with a hammer and it would shatter off. But that was a different type of rubbery layer they used. Anyone else got a better way?

^^^ with the more bitumised styles dry ice was the go to harden it and it chipped off in big pieces. 

I found a wire wheel on a drill with its lower rpm as opposed to a grinder, can be a useful stripper. 

Cant comment on Porsche specific sound deadening as haven't had to deal with it yet.