Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Hey @Jeff  I know that the Porsche is on hold for a while until the motor arrives, and the Datsun is being rolled out.  Where will you be posting the Datsun build?  It's Friday and I need to satisfy my "home built by Jeff" compulsion, so where do I look or will there be a new thread here under Not Porsche... called "Home Built Zed Rod?

Edited by Lucky Phil

Hey @Jeff  I know that the Porsche is on hold for a while until the motor arrives, and the Datsun is being rolled out.  Where will you be posting the Datsun build?  It's Friday and I need to satisfy my "home built by Jeff" compulsion, so where do I look or will there be a new thread here under Not Porsche... called "Home Built Zed Rod?

I think I will do just that. This episode is half and half anyway, because I had to replace the front wheel bearings in the Porsche so I could put wheels back on it and move it.

• 4 weeks later...

Neil at performancedevelopments.com has been very busy working on my nightmare nightmare engine. He has now finished the work on the case. After repairing all of the pulled and mangled studs, he has gone through and added dowels. Many will just add dowels in the journal face next to the through bolt holes, but Neil actually puts sleeves into the through bolt holes.

80-22496202_1909000799420926_86348365881

80-22384371_1909000922754247_40407670778

The crankshaft has been magnufluxed, staightened, and the oil plugs removed and threaded for plugs.

22426216_1909004889420517_31548887444271

22424352_1909004929420513_80392715669975

The cylinder heads have been repaired and twin plugged. New valve guides have been fitted and new valve seats have been made and fitted with multiple angled bevels for better flow. Neil also found that after fitting the new valve guide on one of the heads, it was cracked on the edge of the guide housing. Again, instead of just throwing the head away, the crack was re-welded and repaired.

22459377_1909004752753864_91565295784556

22426218_1909004822753857_18861492555152

New Cams have been designed.
Neil is now working through the Cam decks, working out a better method to prevent leaks from the bores. I will post up the pictures when it is done to show the results.
Many of you have been asking me what is happening with the engine and Neil is putting in a crazy amount of hours on this. Particularly on developing new, upgraded, methods of repair and improving on the almost 50 year old design of these engines.
If you have any detailed questions head over to Performancedevelopments.com and talk to Neil, as most of this is way over my head.

The end result is going to be one hell of an engine Jeff,,,,,,,,,,I would have thrown half that engine away and purchased new or reco parts after seeing the horror work that had been done to it 

Just  astonishing to look at how far those heads have come and the quality of workmanship that has gone into them ,,,the guy really is bloody good at what he does ,,,it is going to be one sweet little motor ...:cool07:

Amazing to hear & see the work involved in getting your engine up to running order ... hope your credit card is up for the challenge. Sounds like it might be taking a hammering  by the looks!!

Neil is really amazing at what he does, and the depth of knowledge. He is also really looking after me, and I couldn't be more grateful. 

The work that has been done rescuing and then improving those heads is awesome. I just starred at the machining on the valve seats for 5 minutes... ?

I haven't even gone completely into the extra little bits and pieces he has done on this stuff, because 99% of people would fall asleep, but it is the details that really make it super special. I am really looking forward to seeing it come together, but we still have a way to go yet. 

The Cam towers are another interesting thing on my engine. Besides the fact that the bores are scratched to hell, so it would leak like a sieve. It also 3 journal cams in a 4 journal Cam tower. That meant, there was one journal open on the tower spitting out oil with nothing stopping it. So I think if it didn't pull head studs straight away, it would have probably seized from lack of oil pressure. If only this engine could talk, it would have one hell of a story.

Neil is really amazing at what he does, and the depth of knowledge. He is also really looking after me, and I couldn't be more grateful. 

I haven't even gone completely into the extra little bits and pieces he has done on this stuff, because 99% of people would fall asleep, but it is the details that really make it super special. I am really looking forward to seeing it come together, but we still have a way to go yet. 

The Cam towers are another interesting thing on my engine. Besides the fact that the bores are scratched to hell, so it would leak like a sieve. It also 3 journal cams in a 4 journal Cam tower. That meant, there was one journal open on the tower spitting out oil with nothing stopping it. So I think if it didn't pull head studs straight away, it would have probably seized from lack of oil pressure. If only this engine could talk, it would have one hell of a story.

1. this must be costing a lot?
  2. find another engine?
  3. Mike deSilva must have been a local option??
  4. ...or is facebook notoriety paying for all of this?

1. this must be costing a lot?
  2. find another engine?
  3. Mike deSilva must have been a local option??
  4. ...or is facebook notoriety paying for all of this?

This is not costing me what it would. The crazy repair stuff would have been better for most to just get another engine, but Neil wanted to show, that it can be repaired. If you had a matching numbers car for example, you don't want to just throw away the engine and start again. 

Mike is a gun, but he is not doing the machining, he is assembling, which I will also be doing myself.

Facetubestagram is definitely helping in this case ;) 

If only this engine could talk, it would have one hell of a story.

I wonder if it's a motormeister special?

For those who don't know, check out the pelican horror stories in the US...

Neil's services could become very sought after for ex customers of this disreputable firm.

Jeff, it's funny, whilst reading about the engine work detail I had a little thought "if my engine ever goes bang... maybe I should ship it to Neil" the online word of mouth is an amazingly effective marketing tool. Well done.

I wonder if it's a motormeister special?

For those who don't know, check out the pelican horror stories in the US...

Neil's services could become very sought after for ex customers of this disreputable firm.

Jeff, it's funny, whilst reading about the engine work detail I had a little thought "if my engine ever goes bang... maybe I should ship it to Neil" the online word of mouth is an amazingly effective marketing tool. Well done.

I don't have experience elsewhere, but I know Neil has a wealth of experience which is unrivalled and he is a straight up, honest guy. He does get a few guys sending engines from here over to him. He has developed some very trick, custom 944 stuff. Patrick with the black time attack 944 sends his engines over there.

What happens when you sent your own engine bits to US / Europe for reconditioning & they come back fixed. Are they caught up in Customs? Are there other gov charges like GST loaded onto it somehow?

Is it straightforward or do the girls in Borderforce drill into it for asbestos checks!!!!!  

Edited by Zelrik911

What happens when you sent your own engine bits to US / Europe for reconditioning & they come back fixed. Are they caught up in Customs? Are there other gov charges like GST loaded onto it somehow?

Is it straightforward or do the girls in Borderforce drill into it for asbestos checks!!!!!  

That is why I did some research before I sent them, and I have a mate helping with shipping. Hopefully there are no problems.

• 1 month later...