Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Jeff, another impressive job complete and video. You are a far more patient, skilled and enthusiastic man than I. That second (and probably first) door would have been in the scrap heap if it was my project. Well done. 

Jeff, another impressive job complete and video. You are a far more patient, skilled and enthusiastic man than I. That second (and probably first) door would have been in the scrap heap if it was my project. Well done. 

Hopefully now those doors will live a few more years yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is the latest instalment. I think I have now tidied up the mess of the RHD conversion to my car, and in the process also manufactured a place to put a brake booster if I choose to add one in the future. It is much easier to do now, rather than after it is painted.

I have also gone through and fixed up the difficult rust areas in the corners of the front windscreen. Only time will tell how good the seal is when I first get to drive it in the rain ;)

I wonder if the 'idiots', as you call them are seeing your videos?

I hope they see them and they are ashamed. I know old 911's weren't always as valuable as they are today, but they were always worth enough to not just cover over rust...

If they do watch they should give themselves a slap!

I hope they see them and they are ashamed. I know old 911's weren't always as valuable as they are today, but they were always worth enough to not just cover over rust...

If they do watch they should give themselves a slap!

Yep, sometimes the truth hurts, but it needs to be told!

I am loving the process you are doing with this car, and the videos.

• 4 weeks later...

So I have finally gotten the fibreglass body parts fitted to the car. There was a bit of custom fabrication needed. The front bar for the car was not matched to the front guards, so I had to narrow the bar to fit. I also had to make up some brackets so that I could open the bonnet catch and I had to make the brackets fro the front bar. 

I really hate working with fibreglass, it is awful itchy, messy stuff, but it is great for its purpose. I am just glad I have finished it now and I can move on to the next phase.

Here is the latest vid.

Here are a couple of pics.

133E1185-14BF-4302-8D76-3E7511BAC645_zps

C44C4311-BDA7-470E-A4D4-989DA2AD76A2_zps 

Trouble with fibreglass - you can't weld it...

Smells better that welding fumes though.  Great job Jeff!

Give me welding fumes over stinky, itchy, messy fibreglass any day ;)

Jeff.

Another impressive instalment Jeff. Your bravery never ceases to amaze me. In this week's shenanigans, he takes a knife to his brand new body kit. 

Tell me though, why was this necessary? I realise it did not fit but why did it not fit? In a world of backdate, backdate, backdate, why could you not buy a kit that simply fits without the need for so many adjustments and modifications?

I rang Mike Tankard, as I was thinking the same thing, particularly with the front bar shenanigans. From what I gather, he has made up those front guards by adding on to the bottom of some 930 guards or similar. The bar doesn't match up with those guards, so I had to modify them to fit. I am not sure what Mike is planning but he was really apologetic and helpful, and actually sent me through a package of repair stuff to help me out.

On another note. I have been discussing fuel filler options with OZ930. I did look at taking the original fuel flap parts out of the original guard, but I quickly dismissed it as I would have to either cut the whole housing out of the original guard (ruining it) or making the whole thing again. Now I have actually gone back and had a look at the internals and I think I can probably take out the flap itself and the latch mechanism, and make up some new mounting tabs to fit to the fibreglass guard. Even if it is open under the flap, it is still probably a better solution than having to open the bonnet to fill up.

That may have to be another video in itself.

Jeff.

I rang Mike Tankard, as I was thinking the same thing, particularly with the front bar shenanigans. From what I gather, he has made up those front guards by adding on to the bottom of some 930 guards or similar. The bar doesn't match up with those guards, so I had to modify them to fit. I am not sure what Mike is planning but he was really apologetic and helpful, and actually sent me through a package of repair stuff to help me out.

On another note. I have been discussing fuel filler options with OZ930. I did look at taking the original fuel flap parts out of the original guard, but I quickly dismissed it as I would have to either cut the whole housing out of the original guard (ruining it) or making the whole thing again. Now I have actually gone back and had a look at the internals and I think I can probably take out the flap itself and the latch mechanism, and make up some new mounting tabs to fit to the fibreglass guard. Even if it is open under the flap, it is still probably a better solution than having to open the bonnet to fill up.

That may have to be another video in itself.

Jeff.

It may be worth a trip to the local car wreckers to see if there's anything you can poach in the way of filler pockets.  Many newer designs have a bucket which attaches to the underside of the panel, the filler pipe then going through it with a flexible seal.  I'm sure you could McGuyver something in there.

It may be worth a trip to the local car wreckers to see if there's anything you can poach in the way of filler pockets.  Many newer designs have a bucket which attaches to the underside of the panel, the filler pipe then going through it with a flexible seal.  I'm sure you could McGuyver something in there.

That is a great idea Harvs. Although most cars might be hard to get to, as they are in the rear quarter panel. Actually now that I think about it, we have a couple of old cars at work for us to cut up, which I could have a look at and see if I can pilfer what I need from them. Thanks for the suggestion, my minds racing :) 

Jeff.