Home built Hot Rod

MFX

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Looking good Jeff.  I bet you are really getting excited about your first drive. I know I am.

It is getting close, but even if I can get it driving, I still need to sort out a bunch of the body wiring so that it actually has working indicators and brakes lights, etc, so I can take it up and down the street. It shouldn't be long though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thumbs up, I've been following it and your other exploits on the 'tube for a while.  You're a bloody machine with the amount of work you get through, engine out and in a few times in ?  was it a single day?

The engine sounds so sweet, mechanically quiet with a bit of an angry whine to it.  Lovely. 

On 03/07/2020 at 20:18, MFX said:

Thanks mate. Dyno on Tuesday, so we will see how it really performs. 

I hope you’ve got the gremlins out to maximise the dyno time!   I reckon we are looking at 250 crank - maybe you’re hoping for more?

1 hour ago, st3ve said:

Thumbs up, I've been following it and your other exploits on the 'tube for a while.  You're a bloody machine with the amount of work you get through, engine out and in a few times in ?  was it a single day?

The engine sounds so sweet, mechanically quiet with a bit of an angry whine to it.  Lovely. 

It was in and out over a couple of days. Hopefully it doesn't have to come out again for a while.

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

I hope you’ve got the gremlins out to maximise the dyno time!   I reckon we are looking at 250 crank - maybe you’re hoping for more?

I am hoping for somewhere around that. Maybe if I could get 210 or even as high as 220 at the wheels would be awesome, but mostly I just want it to have a nice streetable tune.

38 minutes ago, MFX said:

Maybe if I could get 210 or even as high as 220 at the wheels would be awesome.....

Jeff,

Just remind yourself that 210 to 220 "Dynojet" horsepower is equivalent to around 179 to 188 "Mainline" horsepower so don't get too hung up on the numbers being bandied about on the US forums.

On 03/07/2020 at 13:30, MFX said:
This week, Harry finally moves under his own power, but not until I change the clutch... a couple of times..

Absolutely loved this episode, but I have to admit I did feel sorry for you having to take the engine back out again!  

2 hours ago, Heritage Parts Centre said:

Absolutely loved this episode, but I have to admit I did feel sorry for you having to take the engine back out again!  

Haha, thanks mate. You would think by now I would do some research before ploughing ahead ;)

On 06/07/2020 at 18:33, Peter M said:

Jeff,

Just remind yourself that 210 to 220 "Dynojet" horsepower is equivalent to around 179 to 188 "Mainline" horsepower so don't get too hung up on the numbers being bandied about on the US forums.

U.S Quarter horses Peter. They are small but there is a lot of them..

If it makes you feel better Jeff. I completely fitted and removed the engine and trans in my old silver 911/30 seven, yes 7 times in 36hrs looking for a mystery oil leak getting the car ready for a race. 2 times with a second set of hands and 5 alone. In the end I got it down to a something like 20 minutes to go from a running car to engine and box out.

Turns out it was the breather gasket in the triangle of death I’d fitted backwards. It would only leak under load not at idle. So I’d test drive the car and under 3,000rpm no oil leak. Over 3k and oil leak. Pull motor, look for leak, clean and refit. Rinse and repeat. The dam fan would blow the oil everywhere and make it almost impossible to trace the origin of the leak.

When I found it after thrashing on the car nonstop for 35hrs I almost cried. Partly from relief partly from exhaustion. I called a mate to come and check my work over after I refitted the motor and box for the last time. He found 3 bolts slightly under tightened. I fell sleep with a beer in my hand on the garage floor.    

5 minutes ago, Uncle said:

U.S Quarter horses Peter. They are small but there is a lot of them..

If it makes you feel better Jeff. I completely fitted and removed the engine and trans in my old silver 911/30 seven, yes 7 times in 36hrs looking for a mystery oil leak getting the car ready for a race. 2 times with a second set of hands and 5 alone. In the end I got it down to a something like 20 minutes to go from a running car to engine and box out.

Turns out it was the breather gasket in the triangle of death I’d fitted backwards. It would only leak under load not at idle. So I’d test drive the car and under 3,000rpm no oil leak. Over 3k and oil leak. Pull motor, look for leak, clean and refit. Rinse and repeat. The dam fan would blow the oil everywhere and make it almost impossible to trace the origin of the leak.

When I found it after thrashing on the car nonstop for 35hrs I almost cried. Partly from relief partly from exhaustion. I called a mate to come and check my work over after I refitted the motor and box for the last time. He found 3 bolts slightly under tightened. I fell sleep with a beer in my hand on the garage floor.    

7 times!! That would be heart breaking. It wouldn't have taken too much more clearance to get the box off without removing the engine and that would make so many jobs much easier!

That said I also found a few annoying little leaks on the dyno yesterday that occurred under load. More jobs to fix, but hopefully without pulling the engine again.

If you leave the engine and box together there are less bolts to undo when you drop it out from memory. Or is it you can undo more bolts quickly than less bolts with more difficulty. Anyway I think I have some kind of PTSD from it because my brain refuses to remember.