Home built Hot Rod

MFX

Great vid as always Jeff 

Photo bucket has desided not to work right now but when looking for fuel cap positions for a potential build and not wanting to copy Singer I did find some great references from past RSR cars that had it off centre on the bonnet. Some towards the front and some nearer the windshield. A bit easier to fill up

Your ingenuity in cutting and shaping things to get things right is impressive. When you are cutting brackets as fixing points do you ever treat the metal? (Get it galvanised?). Recent experience with building a house with steel Windows is that the fuckers rust in minutes. Brand new outdoor furniture with non treated screws - orange in a week. Would hate for you to go through all this amazing work to find an off cut of angle bolting on a fibre glass panel to bring back the cancer

Thanks Tom. As far as treating the metal goes, yes, I make sure everything I put in is painted, and sealed. You should see how much quicker welded metal rusts.

Well after a lot of thought about what to do with the fuel filler, and weighing up the options. I decided the best method was to not be a lazy bastard and make a factory style filler. It ended up actually being easier than I was expecting.

Here is the vid.

Brilliant!

Glad you didn't do it through the hood

Well after looking at the fabrication I would have to do whatever method I chose, it was much easier to just use the bits I had, as opposed to going and buying a bunch of new stuff to then do a heap of fabrication anyway. I never really liked the idea of going through the hood. Even with the Singers, I think I would have the shits because it would be a pain to fill them up and you would always drip on the bonnet.

Jeff.

I never really liked the idea of going through the hood. Even with the Singers, I think I would have the shits because it would be a pain to fill them up and you would always drip on the bonnet.

Jeff.

Agreed

Much better going through the guard (or is it a front left wing or FLING for short)

So now we have a FROOT or FRUNK with a FLING and a FRING.

:rolleyes:

Particularly with the Singers, do you really want to lean on it while you are filling it up? If not you would kill your back trying to arch over the car every time you fill up...

Great work!...

Particularly with the Singers, do you really want to lean on it while you are filling it up? If not you would kill your back trying to arch over the car every time you fill up...

Having a center hood filler i can say it isn't hard to fill up, if your careful it wont drip petrol on the hood and being such a small car there isn't any bending needed to reach.

If anything its better because you can fill up on either side at the gas station.

Great work!...

Having a center hood filler i can say it isn't hard to fill up, if your careful it wont drip petrol on the hood and being such a small car there isn't any bending needed to reach.

If anything its better because you can fill up on either side at the gas station.

I suppose, I was looking at it on my car, which is up on stands. I suppose when it is on the ground it would be better (but I am only 3 foot tall anyway, so I don't think it would help ;) ).

Ok. So my next job was supposed to be making the roll cage. After doing a heap of research online, I found that bending 'tube' is a lot more difficult than I thought, and tube benders are quite expensive. Pipe benders are relatively cheap, but they are not deisgned to bend tube... I found a bunch of people have modified pipe benders to bend tube without kinking or flattening it. 

I have subsequently, spent pretty much a whole week stuffing around, trying to modify the pipe bender to bend tube, using every method I have heard about... without a lot of luck.

I thought I should still make a vid' because it is worth seeing the stuff that doesn't work along with what does (and also didn't want to see a weeks worth of work being a complete waste ;) ).

My uncle used to make his own exhaust systems for motorcycles by using clean DRY casting sand and heat the tube.  Obviously not as thick as the tube that you are trying to bend though.

That would work well, but I don't have an Oxy Acetylene to heat it up enough. I have now ordered the correct die, from the US so I will try again when that comes. Then I should be able to do it cold, without sand ;).