Home built Hot Rod

MFX

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Working through the tune again today. I have tested the Head temp sensor and it seems pretty close to the range. Between 10 and 50 degrees it is pretty much spot on with my laser temp gun. It drops off a bit at the far ranges. It was reading 5 degrees in the 0 degree ice water and got to around 68 degrees with the recently boiled water my temp gun read at 75. I have looked to find a better place to put it, but I am not sure there is. I could make a little bracket similar to the ones shown on Pelican, but my fins seem much tighter than the ones on there. It would need a 2mm thick arm to clamp in the gap in the fins and I am not sure it could be strong enough to hold. 

I think I will change the parameters in the warm up to fade off to 0 by 40c so it is not messing with my fuelling when warm and see how it goes.

I am also going to recheck the balance of the ITB's as I suspect they could be out a bit.

I don’t want to put a damper on it but a temp gun ( I.e one that you point and pull the trigger) is not capable of measuring the temperature of water or anything shinny or clear or any of dozens of other types of surface finishes and colours unless the emissivity is specifically set for that of the target object. 

58 minutes ago, Redracn said:

I don’t want to put a damper on it but a temp gun ( I.e one that you point and pull the trigger) is not capable of measuring the temperature of water or anything shinny or clear or any of dozens of other types of surface finishes and colours unless the emissivity is specifically set for that of the target object. 

It seemed to get pretty close to what I think it should be, but either way I have adjusted the warm up map now and the car still seems to run ok at this stage. I will tweak more later.

As for the log. By fading out the warm up map I factored in that I have now taken away upto 5% or so of enrichment from that, but I used your formula of 'New fuel val = Old Fuel val x actual lambda / target lambda. I am definitely getting closer to the target, but probably a tad lean. I will do one more correction and I think that should get it pretty good.

It is probably still a bit leaner around 2500 than I would like and even though I rolled into the throttle a bit more there still seems to be a lot of throttle enrichment, but the log is getting better. I spent a bit of time trying to sync the ITB's and I have them a lot closer now but you can still see a difference off throttle. I am thinking that is less of an issue though.

IMG_8401.thumb.JPG.2b1fb4c20c3a4bb74387447b8781e255.JPG

What I am more concerned about is I was seeing very lean readings at part throttle at around 3500 rpm. A am not sure how bad that is, but I think I will try to fatten that up a bit.

IMG_8402.thumb.JPG.40441755ad9aa04f676459d7ffdf37a0.JPG

That 3500rpm is a transient issue. Is the acceleration enrichment turned on?. Can you log any transient compensation?..

The lambda for the part of the run that I would assume no transient is in place is now taking shape nicely. A bit more work would get it very close. Only issue I see is the bank separation at 6000rpm is at the limit of ok. They progressively seperate and then come back together so would seem to be a function of the engine. Could easily be fixed with individual bank or cylinder tuning for a perfect result. 

When it comes to sensors I like the name to indicate what it is measuring and at the moment I really could not call the measurement cylinder head temperature as it is just to far from what a cylinder head should be. Also I always like have it so that you can remove / replace / change the sensor for another etc and always get the same reading. This ensures parts are interchangeable and that anybody can reassemble/service with no issues. I am not sure the so called head temp measurements would meet this requirement. Yep you can just use the value from it but be aware that changing the sensor or brand etc may change the reading requiring the compensations to be adjusted accordingly. Also the value could change with time which is problematic.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick thanks to Jeff @MFX and @Redracn for the heads up and info on the sensor issue. 

I just went through this on my motec / pmo 2.7 litre powered 911 hotrod.  Car was hard to start, ran like a pig when cold and didn’t like transitioning between idle and say 1500rpm without a lurch.  I got Andrew at Superior Auto in Mona Vale to swap the oil temp sensor for the M6 type and retune the computer to suit. 

The result was a huge improvement - basically resolved all the  above issues.  And this was with retaining is the late 80’s / early 90’s motec ecu too. 

Ps. I would very much recommend Andrew/Superior for this type of work. Great work, no nonsense and clear comms.  

Pps. 199hp at the tyres too!

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

A quick thanks to Jeff @MFX and @Redracn for the heads up and info on the sensor issue. 

I just went through this on my motec / pmo 2.7 litre powered 911 hotrod.  Car was hard to start, ran like a pig when cold and didn’t like transitioning between idle and say 1500rpm without a lurch.  I got Andrew at Superior Auto in Mona Vale to swap the oil temp sensor for the M6 type and retune the computer to suit. 

The result was a huge improvement - basically resolved all the  above issues.  And this was with retaining is the late 80’s / early 90’s motec ecu too. 

Ps. I would very much recommend Andrew/Superior for this type of work. Great work, no nonsense and clear comms.  

Where did you  put the sensor out of interest?

3 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Do you mind telling me the model of the Motec ECU you are using?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Peter M said:

I can recommend Autosol Anodised Aluminium polish for Fuchs.  I don't think Supercheap sell it but Repco and Bunnings do.

That is what I used in the end once the anodising was screwed, but if they are still anodised you should only use vaseline.

54 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Jeff, I understand your point of having to redo the polishing, however I doubt you will find it is as often as you think. The ones on my wide body were only done yearly (if I remembered), otherwise they held up pretty well.

I have actually had the suggestion to ceramic coat them by a couple of people and I think that is the move for the easy long term shine ;)

8 hours ago, MFX said:

That is what I used in the end once the anodising was screwed, but if they are still anodised you should only use vaseline.

Funny, at 10.30 it looks like you using Autosol Aluminium Polish not Autosol Anodised Aluminium Polish and that's what peaked my concern.

I think all Fuchs owners know the moment of panic when the wheel cleaner they have just casually sprayed is doing more than it should!

I have used Porsche's recommendation many times but I have found Autosol Anodised Aluminium Polish to give better results, particularly with hiding water shadowing.  For general cleaning I just use detailer spray to remove the brake dust.

That's Ok, use what works for you.

Here’s my recommendation for wheel cleaners:

1) throw any product calling itself a wheel cleaner in the bin.  Take out any which say ‘safe for all wheel surfaces and finishes’ out and throw them in the bin again for good measure. 

2) sit down on a stool and clean your wheels with a sponge and bucket of soapy water, rinse with hose and blow dry with a leaf blower.

I learnt my lessons the hard way.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This week I take you on a drive in Harry and find out something I have been wondering about for quite some time now.

I am busy working on the Alfarrari in the background, but I thought this would be better than another very boring sanding video.

https://youtu.be/WlRE2iGZ9Eo

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

1160kg fully wet!  Interesting, thanks for posting Jeff.

Heavier than I thought, but for a car with great A/C and an overkill roll cage, it makes sense.