About to buy my first Porsche

So after living in Europe and having the opportunity to drive a lot of Porsches and other exotics over there, I've returned to Australia and need to get one of my own.  Am looking at a few options at the moment and will try to buy one by the end of this year.  Will start with a 981 Boxster S but am also looking at similar priced 997 convertibles.  Its a hard choice between the newer interiors and PDK vs the classic 997.

Have driven both back to back at the local dealer and am thinking will go for the Boxter S.  Will post the obligatory photo once I confirm the purchase.

But in the interim, I wanted to sign up for the forum anyway, as I have already found it very helpful with research into insurance providers and other info as well.

whats your budget? I take it you are comparing the 'new car smell' of the current boxter S with an older 997? So say $100k - $130k?

If so this is an interesting budget range range at the moment for a first p-car. In someways spoilt for choice ;) 

A new boxter S or:

a lowish kms 997 S

A 996 turbo

A 996 4s and some change

A friend just picked up a 2006 997 S with 30,000kms for just over $90k. It looks and drives great. Probably a little bit still to go in depreciation with the 997, but the 996's (especially 4s's and turbos) seem to have bottomed out or are actually rising in value. Your new Boxter will unfortunately plummet in value as soon as you buy it (I have learnt from painful experience), so my choice would be to get yourself into an already depreciated well looked after 911. Find yourself a good 996 turbo and it might actually turn into an investment...

I do however know the allure of a shiny new car - thankfully I am reformed and just lust after old P-cars now :)

(oh - sounds like you are a man that likes to take his top off. Word of warning - cab 911's seem harder to shift when you want to move them on)

Also welcome Giuseppe

981 Boxsters might loose value now, but will become collectable in the future when the choice of a new one will be 4 cylinder turbo only. 987 have hit the lows in value but I reckon are great value.

Good luck with finding your P car :)

I was discussing the purchase of a second hand Boxster GTS with Porsche Brighton but sadly someone else beat me to it.  It was the Porsche Australia test car and is the actual car featured in this review and numerous others.  Was registered as CVR-87E in NSW and now is AEU-013 in Vic.

I was in two minds about it being a journalists test car but figured it would have been checked by Porsche before re-sale.  So now I will keep looking....

http://www.caradvice.com.au/331116/porsche-boxster-gts-review/

To respond to other comments, I prefer the newer interiors, I like a drivers car options and wanted a convertible so the Boxster GTS ticked all my boxes!  Will have to keep looking and will also look at 997 convertibles too.

Although this 997 turbo is the same money as the GTS.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2007/SSE-AD-3717186 

Maybe its cheap as its an import.  Or maybe its just a realistic seller?

Bad luck missing out on that GTS, looked like a grouse car, good write up...

The 997 Turbo cab would certainly be worth a look.  

I would be getting my own PPI done, especially being the turbo, even though they have already "had it done"

The right one will pop up...good luck again... 

Archived