Shannons insurance

MP911

I phoned Shannons about insured value of my 89 model 3.2 G50.

They wanted photos and details of car .Aust delivered coupe 193000ks with engine rebuild by Phil Hearn 7000ks ago 

http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/mp911/media/027_zpso4hgd7fs.jpg.html

The most they will insure for is $80,000  and only similar car for sale at the moment is $139,000 which seems on high side but I am thinking more like $100,000.

Should I look around at other options and if so who

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They wanted photos and details of car .Aust delivered coupe 193000ks with engine rebuild by Phil Hearn 7000ks ago 

The most they will insure for is $80,000  and only similar car for sale at the moment is $139,000 which seems on high side but I am thinking more like $100,000.

Ring Porsche Insurance  (essentially a broker) and let them know what you want to do, they will hunt around for someone who will cover you (I ended up with MB Insurance), I found them very helpful and understanding.

Im switching from Reno to Shannons (and a couple of others) due to a "duck and weave" tactic by Ryno over a claim.  My daughter was under 25 - the car was parked by her two days prior - it was vandalised while she was out of state - yet she was the "driver" so the claim was denied.

Im switching from Reno to Shannons (and a couple of others) due to a "duck and weave" tactic by Ryno over a claim.  My daughter was under 25 - the car was parked by her two days prior - it was vandalised while she was out of state - yet she was the "driver" so the claim was denied.

But surely that's not a duck and weave tactic?  She was the last driver of the car and the under 25 stipulation was detailed in the PDS?  (Or have I missed something)?   Ask Shannon's and see what they would do under the same circumstances before you change would be my advice.

I've had issues with this in the past with motor vehicle insurance companies and in all cases it was resolved in this manner:

1. I've either shown them detailed images or the car itself.

2. Had a valuation letter from a reputable dealer.

3. Asked the insurer to absolve me of any co-insurance liability if they do not agree to an agreed value.

One aspect to Shannon's insurance which I like and is often difficult to get with other companies is the salvage rights extension.  That's quite important for older cars, for example, your engine has just been rebuilt, so if your car is deemed a write off after a decent "T" boning, the car may be useless, but that nice fresh engine could be transplanted into a new project.

But surely that's not a duck and weave tactic?  She was the last driver of the car and the under 25 stipulation was detailed in the PDS?  (Or have I missed something)?   Ask Shannon's and see what they would do under the same circumstances before you change would be my advice.

i'm happy with the under 25 thing, however it means if ask a family member to move my 911 which is then hit in the carpark, then I'm not covered. However if I moved it to the same space and it was hit later by the same dope, then I'm actually covered.

If she was driving the car, then happy to be knocked back.  But there was no driver of the car when it was vandalised. 

I still call duck and weave, and Shannon's said verbally they would honour it (especially since it was a relatively small claim on a multicar policy)

Try NRMA Classic insurance. They covered my SC for close to that so 100k for your 3.2 is probably closer to replacement value

my 964 is also with nrma and their classic insurance. Haven't made a claim with them (thank goodness) but they have been great to deal with. I have the no more than 5000 kms per year option.

Shannon's can really depend on who you talk to.

I got $80k coverage on an '86 with  240 000 km on the clock without any hassle at all.

The guy just asked me to hold while he spoke to someone who "knows" Porsches.

shannons was easy for the 964 turbo- they weren't sure about upping the value at first and asked me to wait a second whilst they checked what they were for sale for on carsales.

when they couldn't find any for sale in the country they quickly agreed haha

just replaced two windscreens through them with no issue. When the triumph was written off they paid up no hassle, and keeping the wreck let me rebuild it.

• 1 month later...

I went to Shannon's about a year ago and they did it all over the phone no problem at what was a pretty good value back then but reading this I think it may be time to have another look at it as I have not really been following values

what would I be looking at for a immaculate origional 86 911 with 138km do you think 3 owners

Shannons covered my SC for 100k with a few photos and proof of au delivered etc.

i think pretty good value premium wise since the car is club regod,

I think it depends on whos on the phone.

I would have thought your 3.2 would be covered for more no probs.

Maybe guards red cars are worth more :-)

Contacted Shannons by email this week to enquire about lifting insured value given 996 GT car prices are rapidly increasing.  They replied to say, no problem, our Porsche guru says we can insure at $300k based on current values.  All over email, sight unseen.  Comes with a lift in premium of course.  I could probably push them for a higher val based on recent sales here and OS but I'm happy with that for now, easy.   i doubt you'd get that offer from AAMI.....!

^^^ any increase to your excess? I inquired about why my excess was raised when they put my value up from 150 to 175 and was told for anything over 100K the method they use for setting the excess is 1% of the agreed value. Anyway, they dropped it back down for me without hesitation which I was pleased with. Sometimes you just have to ask the question.

Has anyone made a claim though Ryno? What are they like to deal with? My claim with Shannons was a breeze and they paid the agreed value without hassle (even though this was way above the cars current value) :)

Has anyone made a claim though Ryno? What are they like to deal with? My claim with Shannons was a breeze and they paid the agreed value without hassle (even though this was way above the cars current value) :)

one vandal claim denied because the car had been parked a couple of days earlier by my under 25 daughter. Even though car was parked, and she was miles away when the car was vandalised, she was the "driver" and they rejected the claim. Shame really, as I had all my cars with them and it was a small claim. 

Yeah, a woman swiped the rear of one of my Carreras a couple of years ago and her insurer APIA was going to pay for the damage due to her being at fault. When I spoke with Apia they wouldn't let me take it to my repairer of choice only theirs !! I got on the phone to Ryno and was told to make a not at fault claim and they would claim against APIA. It was all handled really well with no cost or no claims bonus issues from them. Even my repairer said they paid really quickly and where hassle free.

I'm no longer with Ryno due to their price increases and I can get similar coverage/benefits cheaper with Porsche insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shannons covered my SC for 100k with a few photos and proof of au delivered etc.

i think pretty good value premium wise since the car is club regod,

I think it depends on whos on the phone.

I would have thought your 3.2 would be covered for more no probs.

Maybe guards red cars are worth more :-)

Yeah i rang them last week,with regards to my SC ,Aussie model under 200k ,

60k insured for, maybe i need to speek to someone else?

Archived