Shannons insurance

MP911

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Increased my 1972 T by 100% today.   Guy at Shannons QLD requested photos and a history of the car - he suggested I write it in the style of an advertisement for sale.   So , sent the file through and had the increase approved within 10 minutes.   Doubled the cover and doubled the premium.  Kinda win:win.

Yeah i rang them last week,with regards to my SC ,Aussie model under 200k ,

60k insured for, maybe i need to speek to someone else?

As 911B said. "It depends on who you talk to"

I had some muppet here inAdelaide talk my car down. He was comparing it to LHD 3.3lt cars on ebay, I walked out.

Somebody kindly gave me the name of his boss. The boss called me on his day off after I left a message and increased the agreed value by 120k. Sight unseen.

Just tried the same, only to get a new person who knew nought about cars... kept putting me on hold and then finally said they want lots of photos and a reason why I wish to increase because I have had the car such a short time.... not hopeful.......

Just tried the same, only to get a new person who knew nought about cars... kept putting me on hold and then finally said they want lots of photos and a reason why I wish to increase because I have had the car such a short time.... not hopeful.......

Make sure your photos are dated..........and i'd suggest sending updates every six months (after the car is detailed of course)

When insuring my new 3.2, I had the shock of my life. Although the premium from Shannons was about where i expected it to be, I got a quote from NRMA veteran, vintage and classic vehicle insurance. If the terms of the policy suit your needs, they are very, very cheap! I did get a 17.5% "loyalty"discount as i have so many policies with them, but I am paying about 45% of what Shannons quoted :o. I have always received great service and claims support from NRMA and they have been cheapest of the quality insurers on my 2 BMW's and house insurance.

Just insured with Lumley special Vehicles - good price and no km restrictions.  Increased the agreed value by $65000 over that of my previous insurer and no increase in premium.

Shannon's have always been a waste of time for me. 

Just insured with Lumley special Vehicles - good price and no km restrictions.  Increased the agreed value by $65000 over that of my previous insurer and no increase in premium.

Shannon's have always been a waste of time for me. 

I'm keen to know whats your insured price?? and the premium?

After the experience I just had with Shannons I'm hesitant to change. But I need to increase my insured value so I'll be ringing around. Do you have to be a member or live in the state to insure with nrma?

After the experience I just had with Shannons I'm hesitant to change. But I need to increase my insured value so I'll be ringing around. Do you have to be a member or live in the state to insure with nrma?

SGIC Veteran, Vintage and Classic is the NRMA policy.  I was with them for the first year and they were fine and cheap at $450 but wouldn't increase insured value at renewal.  I went to Shannons and they bumped up insured value by $30k no questions asked.

From experience all insurers are hard work at renewal time so I'm not holding that as a black mark against SGIC/NRMA

I was with Shannons.  Too hard to deal with on renewal and choked during the process of trying to get cover for my 993RS.  

I now go through a broker who placed my cars with Dawes www.dawes.com.au  

You can't go direct, just via a broker.

No issues regarding value.  They know the market.  If I want to up the number and there's been a question, I've sent them research on adverts, auction results etc and they've come to the party.

Fast too.  I bought a car recently on a Frdiay afternoon at around 4 pm, whilst washing it to do the initial bonding with the new toy I realised I'd forgotten to insure it ... DHead ...

Called at 5.15 on the Friday and said I need comp cover, limited use and BTW, the car is a GT3RS so need commensurate cover.  15 minutes later cover locked in for the price I paid.

Yes, I'm a frequent flyer and the cars covered amount to a small car yard ranging in value from mid 50's to Quite Silly so I do get multi car premium but for the all up cover, I'm happy with it.

Have yet to make a claim but the broker (who uses Dawes for a few other clients with an affliction similar to mine) told me that when he has been involved in claims, they've been very good.  I'm sure they'll apply the relevant exclusions if necessary so it's not all long sunsets singing Kumbaya.  

I know it's nerdy but take the time to read the PDS and policy wording.  I deal with legal documents for a living so reading another one after hours is like inviting me to buy a Ferrari ... BUT I've actually found some interesting coverage clauses.  OK, it's super nerdy.

PM me if you want me to give you details of the broker I use.  He's also a car guy which helps.

The big problem I see, is the rate at which 930's etc. are appreciating. The cover needs to be adjusted multiple times a year. I've watched them go from $70k to $200k+ in the space of 18 months. I don't know if the insurer is all that keen on changing the policy so often, (or is that just my perception during the phone calls ?).

The big problem I see, is the rate at which 930's etc. are appreciating. The cover needs to be adjusted multiple times a year. I've watched them go from $70k to $200k+ in the space of 18 months. I don't know if the insurer is all that keen on changing the policy so often, (or is that just my perception during the phone calls ?).

I had to do the same thing (until I recently sold the 930) having bought for $82K about the same time ago. Presented no trouble.

In relation to a couple of my cars I had to get an expert valuation/confirmation of value.  I can give you the person I used in Melbourne.

• 3 weeks later...

As 911B said. "It depends on who you talk to"

I had some muppet here inAdelaide talk my car down. He was comparing it to LHD 3.3lt cars on ebay, I walked out.

Somebody kindly gave me the name of his boss. The boss called me on his day off after I left a message and increased the agreed value by 120k. Sight unseen.

I spoke to some one else, sent some picks and now insured for 85k...Lot happier about that.

Shannons upped the laid up cover from $45k to $85k on the 912, as soon as it got rego without me sending any photos or them viewing it. Also gave me a discount for the SC 

I won't be changing 

• 1 month later...

Shannons upped the laid up cover from $45k to $85k on the 912, as soon as it got rego without me sending any photos or them viewing it. Also gave me a discount for the SC 

I won't be changing 

Odd, they won't go higher than $70K on mine, yet didn't flinch insuring the Speedster for $90K. 

• 1 year later...

Been a long time Shannons client for almost 16 years. Whilst I never had to claim, I have found they know their stuff. Premiums have come down over time. And when quoting my 911, despite being modified, had no trouble agreed value. And a small monthly increase compared to my previous ride.

On 6/10/2016 at 11:29 PM, kaitan said:

I'm keen to know whats your insured price?? and the premium?

so am I I have found them to be good..........wanted to insure the car for more than I paid for it

1 hour ago, Raven said:

There are other insurers out there that are better than Shannons ..............I personally dont believe that Shannons are as good today as they have been in the past ....

That may or may not be true, but has anyone made a claim with the others?

After 2 recent claims with Shannons I won't be changing.

4 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Shannon's will only insure up to the purchase price for the first 12 months, then you can negotiate a higher value.

Not true. The last 3 cars I have purchased and insured with Shannons were all insured for more than I bought them for. On one occasion I just told them that I bought the car at a really special price and they then allowed me to insure it for more.

My 928 has been insured for way more than I bought it for from day one.

33 minutes ago, ANF said:

Not true. The last 3 cars I have purchased and insured with Shannons were all insured for more than I bought them for. On one occasion I just told them that I bought the car at a really special price and they then allowed me to insure it for more.

Tried that, they wouldn't wear it.  Heard of others having the same experience.

Archived