Vintage powerboats

I have been slowly restoring a 1955 Lewis 272 Y block, Clinker hull,   Mahogany planked speed boat built By the Lewis Brothers in Tarren Point NSW, Hopefully it will look something like this when finished; turbo%2026.jpgThe Boat in the picture is owned and restored by Bob Carter,My boat is of the same design.

Um, WOW!  That's all I've got...  I love wooden speedboats - they're the coolest things ever.  Riva & Chris Craft are just the best.  I'd donate an agate for one.

We've been into boats and skiing since I was a young kid (dad had a red multiflake Camero 2+2's, one of only 2 built, that he used to tow with his silver Hemi Pacer.  My dad was, and still is, very cool).  We used to go to Murray Bridge back in the day, and there were heaps of timber speedboats around back then, including a pretty high powered clinker skiff called Leaping Lena.  Like this. http://www.cawpba.com/CAWPBA/readerboats/Alf/alf 02.jpg

Only a few years ago, when I had my boat, we went to Murray Bridge for the day.  There was a dude there that had a restored timber Everingham with an Olds Rocket engine.  That thing was amazing. 

Tazz, show us a picture of yours.

Tazz, show us a picture of yours.

Ours is a beamy old thing that's got us to and from our "Bonny Doon" shack on the island south of Hobart since 1998.

It's seen some appalling squalls and other incidents , but is still with us like an old Land Rover, sentimentality keeps it here.

The motor shat itself twice (PO clearly didn't flush it each use) and the kids called the boat the Orange Roughy. Fat , ugly, stinky.

The new Suzy is smooth as.

The boat used to have acres of fake wood panelled chipboard (70s orange and brown) and was a true 1/2 cab. No plans to restore it or backdate it into a Riva or similar! I might do a flash mahogany boat one day. Seen some fine ones at the biannual wooden boat festival in Hobie.

IMG_5783.jpg

Yes Lots of good boat related tips on CAWPBA, Good bunch of people also very helpfull and a good skipper with Greg at the helm :)

There's a beautyfull Skiff 4 sail on the site now its a Fearsome Beast  

Edited by tomo

There's a place not far from me, in Mount Barker, called Duck Flat Wooden Boats.  They build and restore all types of timber boats.  They do some amazing work there.  You can do a boat building course with them where you select a project and build it during the classes.

Very nice but only a toy compared to our own V12 Merlin "Aggressor" :"https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ub0hwAPiidM" 

Indeed , put a 27 litre aero engine in anything and it kind of "goes"!

You wouldn't be too welcome on Lake Como though. And it would make an oily mess of any mahogany decking!

Well how about that!

I have been away from my computer for the past month restoring a 1966 Australian built speed boat called a Filam. 292 Y Block V8. Hardly ever used in the past 50 years.

I'll post up pics tonight.

These boats are fast becoming the new "Collectable". Classic old machines with classic lines. Can be picked up for a song at the moment.

Depends on the origanal boat builder to determine there collectability and value.Some of the more popular Aus/ built speed boats are Lewis Bros,

Jack Eddy , Goldsbrough, Everingham, Simpkin, Traegers, Eddycraft, Seacraft, most of these builders were active in the 50tys 

Edited by tomo

I would sell my proverbial soul for an Aquarama. Have only ever seen one in the flesh (in Istanbul) but it was love at first site.

A few years ago my wife bought me one of these models from somewhere, not ebay, for my birthday.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chris-Craft-Runabout-20-Handcrafted-Speedboat-Model-NEW-/141843546455

From memory, it was a 1/12 scale Chris Craft, about 22 inches long, but not this exact model, and nearly $500 worth.  But after 3 months waiting it never arrived.  She did eventually get the money back.

• 3 weeks later...

Not exactly vintage, and probably should be in the WTF is that thread, yet thought I'd post it here

Same bloke as the creator of 'Passair' in the Barbeque thread, this was an old speedboat attached to a beetle pan and air cooled engine dubbed 'Luftwasser'

I was a passenger in it around Philip Island track, and it was hilarious! 

05B1CC8F-C482-4264-B6C3-F5CCA1888F98-141

Wow, what a great topic, we had a sea raft many many years ago, then progressed to a 16ft skicraft with a 327 chev which I remember watching chug away across Bonnie Doon bay on fire, whilst I stood there holding the other end of the ski rope...!! Then we started some ski racing in a 19ft Flightcraft Concorde with a V driven 454 in the back......fast as, but fragile so plenty of weekends on the bank fixing the thing......great memories...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...