WTB 964 C2 Manual

Troy Smith

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks turboT,

Ive been told to steer clear of the c4's as Porsche didn't really get it right. Can you shed some light on this and what your experience has been? Thanks

make believe mate. The c4's are great cars. There is a slight weight difference that's all. c2's will always be a purists choice because owners imagine them selves drifting the car around a track like Jeremy Clarkson. Most of us just hit the hills now and again ;) 

the car Hugh put you on to is owner by a good mate and would be perfect for you if you deffinately want a c2. A $30k premium for that choice though. Itsujack and I would be happy to give you a back to back test drive if you want

The best of the lot is itsujacks jap c4 import. The subtle mods he has made make is such a better car to drive. Why do you think he is getting rid of a c2 and keeping the c4? 

Of all the variants 964's seem most suited to a bit of tinkering ;) 

was thinking the same thing.

I've seen what you get up to on a test drive Chris...

make believe mate. The c4's are great cars. There is a slight weight difference that's all. c2's will always be a purists choice because owners imagine them selves drifting the car around a track like Jeremy Clarkson. Most of us just hit the hills now and again ;) 

the car Hugh put you on to is owner by a good mate and would be perfect for you if you deffinately want a c2. A $30k premium for that choice though. Itsujack and I would be happy to give you a back to back test drive if you want

thanks for the info. Yes that is an amazing offer. Let me see what I can do. 

thanks turboT,

Ive been told to steer clear of the c4's as Porsche didn't really get it right. Can you shed some light on this and what your experience has been? Thanks

7B44E172-0C90-4857-BB89-F6E6E7BED9B0_zps

Hay Troy, welcome to the Forum.

I have a C2 & C4 in my garage at the moment, red one I am baby sitting. 

There is a slight difference in feel between the two, C4 feels more planted on the road, C2 if you are "really" picky does feel lighter but nothing you would write home about.

Brakes are probally the biggest difference, C2 has a traditional boosted system and pedal effort is much less than the C4 which runs a pressure pump for the braking and AWD system. 

The big one with a C4 is service history on the brake/AWD system, all these myths about C4 problems come from lack of maintenance. The brake fluid should be tested every year or changed "just in case" to prevent moisture build up in the system which can then create problems. This fluid change has to be done with a diagnosis tool.

There is nothing wrong with the C4 AWD system, like everything on a Porsche they are expensive to fix should something go wrong. This is probably where these rumors come from. More bits and servicing means more $$.

Given a choice between the two, I would take the C4.

thanks turboT,

Whoever told you that is probably not a reliable source on the subject... ;)

I have driven a stock C2 and C4 back to back multiple times before.

The C4 is definitely more planted and grippier, it even seems to pull quicker through the numbers.

Though, my C2 is definitely more raw, light and visceral than the C4. The steering begs for your attention and will certainly kill you if you are a too aggressive with your actions. I am not a great driver by any means, but this car has certainly taught me a whole lot in embracing a kind of finesse whilst driving.

The C4 is definitely more planted and grippier, it even seems to pull quicker through the numbers.

Though, my C2 is definitely more raw, light and visceral than the C4. The steering begs for your attention and will certainly kill you if you are a too aggressive with your actions. I am not a great driver by any means, but this car has certainly taught me a whole lot in embracing a kind of finesse whilst driving.

is the c2 still alive? 

Thanks for confirming that Clay. That's also what I have heard and what I'm after. Based on this info I definitely want a C2! I've had a number of different awd cars over the years. The appeal of the Porsche and a C2 is to experience a raw drive. I want to do the Porsche driving school also and really develop both my understanding of the car and my driving ability. 

......appeal of the Porsche and a C2 is to experience a raw drive...... 

If that's really the case you probably want an earlier car and suggest an SC or an early C3.2 might have more appeal.

Just depends how you define "raw" I guess.  In my mind that 's unlikely to mean power steering or nearly 1400kgs.

Good luck! 

EDIT: Actually there is a nice C3.0 for sale on PFA which would suit your stated needs perfectly.  You could almost get away with using the word "visceral" with this car without being called a wanker.

Archived