944 Hunt

kpac

Lurker finally hitting the keyboard..

After a slow process of selling my Swedish weekend drive, i'm on a non-tyre-kicking hunt for a 944.

Through somewhat poor timing i watched the 86 Turbo of Foyley's slip past, only for me to not have a spot in the garage at the time. Anyway, now there is (garage space), and while that one would have been of real interest i'm neither in a rush nor worried that the right car will eventually show up. I've driven quite a few around the place, quality and price is more varied than i ever thought possible! 

After hitting all the usual advert spots and seeing some pretty ordinary examples, i've decided i should have started on PVA in the first place.

I'm hoping for a non modified (in porsche terms) 944. Have no issue with the 3s auto (don't shoot me!), yet 5s would be great. So transmission im not worried about.

I'd prefer a later model (post 85 would be best), but will consider a good example of an early 80s.

Must have service history, or even private logs, or decent amount of records of work carried out (surprised by the amount out there with nothing)

Prefer lower ownership numbers obviously but understand that this is harder to find

Condition, i'm set on solid mechanicals, interior not a mess (cracked dash has been a pretty good guide to how the car has been treated ive found), and the body must be straight.

As for the actual model, i'm open to all. I appreciate this will impact the buying price.

The S2 is top of the list (well a 968 is probably top of the list), however also at the top of the budget. The turbo, turbo s and non turbo all considered. 

So, i will consider all models, and essentially want the best example i can afford. Price, i'm pretty well aware of the price range, gumtree gives a good guide the the bottom end and some of the auction/consignment crews give a guide to the top. I'm not looking to pay concourse $$'s so mid range price is my starting point, im not locking myself in to a figure but wanting to get something affordable. It's a weekend driver. Not afraid of a bit of work, but dont need a full blown project. 

PM, or advice greatly appreciated. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cracked dash has been a pretty good guide to how the car has been treated ive found

If you find a S1 944 without a cracked dash , you'd be onto a unicorn! They all go , same with the 924.

And sun is what kills interiors, obviously. That , and jeans , jewellery and obesity.

Best of luck , there are few good ones out there. A 968 is worth tracking down.

Yeah, noted re the dash. Have seen a few with original dash in good order, they have been seeking top dollar, and i guess that says a bit for how they are appreciated by owners.. Mind you i cant understand why... it isn't that hard to care for internal dash/plastics, and they aren't the sort of car that should really be stored outside (as many a sunroof will attest).

Anyway, thanks, its just that replacement dash worries me a little. Can imagine it wont match the rest, and looks particularly tricky to remove..

Mind you i cant understand why... it isn't that hard to care for internal dash/plastics, and they aren't the sort of car that should really be stored outside (as many a sunroof will attest).

I'll try and help you understand .....

For more years than not, they have been considered an expendable car. i.e ..... one that you would buy, flog and take to the tip ... 

Leave in the sun, use it for target practice, let anyone and everyone drive it and crunch the gears ......

Now, with the 7ncresae in Porsche prices, they are being better looked after and appreciated.

Hope this helps you understand why they all have cracked dash's ....

Good luck in finding a car .....

For more years than not, they have been considered an expendable car. i.e ..... one that you would buy, flog and take to the tip ... 

Leave in the sun, use it for target practice, let anyone and everyone drive it and crunch the gears ......

While that's true, i'm hoping it not unrealistic to find one that was a little more appreciated from the start....... There are plenty of those bad ones about, not interested.

Agree , even if you are lucky enough to have a covered garage if said garage gets hot it will cause plastics and especially the glue to go brittle. Add that to the odometer gears that turn to cheese , and engine looms that fall apart due to engine heat - after 20 + years you are going to find some surprises when you start digging.

That is already happening with 996 911s,  so beware all you bargain hunters!

Yeah, Adelaide seems to have the bulk at the moment, unfortunately a fair effort to get there from Bris.. Spoken to some interstate sellers, and thankfully many have been pretty upfront with description and details of the cars.

What about this one?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1989/SSE-AD-3798038/?gts=SSE-AD-3798038&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-3798038

Oops, sorry, only came on the other day and not available already. It's like buying an old 911!!

Steve I didn't see this one, out of interest do you remember how much it sold for? It's very close to my cars specs. 

I'll try and help you understand .....

Now, with the 7ncresae in Porsche prices, they are being better looked after and appreciated.

Hope this helps you understand why they all have cracked dash's ....

Good luck in finding a car .....

Totally disagree with this statement. It may be true in the states and some other markets, where they have been incredibly cheap but Aus delivered cars were expensive to buy and maintain and typically are of a much higher standard to cars kept in other markets. They were always limited in numbers here and expensive relative to any other market and so typically are well loved. The dash issue is purely related to the type of materials used at that period and isnt about an owner not caring. Few have avoided it and would be very low milage garage queens. One of my PO cared enough to get an expensive recover done.

Your car is out there as long as you are realistic. As they say there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche and always buy the best example you can afford.

Cheer CP, i'm hopeful that remained the case for some car out there.

Tracked down a car with some limited history. Ideally i'd like every piece of paper, but realistically i guess i have to judge every case on its merits. Car is nice, but spent a lot of time at the mechanic in 2008. 3 trips, and for a while each time. Unfortunately Porshe (service centre) aren't willing to give out much information due to privacy. It's raised alarm bells for me. Is the fair, or should i not be so worried?? On one hand i have to appreciate that the work was done at Porsche, which is more than you can say for most i've seen, on the other hand, major mechanical work is worrying if there's ongoing issues.. Owner to their credit has provided some information, but nothing regarding this episode. Other records indicate annual servicing, and nothing out of the ordinary.

Being paranoid? Thoughts

It is also a 1989 Singapore import.... again, am i being worried for no reason?

Thanks!

Singapore, eh?  S2, Turbo or 2.5?  Serviced by Porsche Centre Singapore?  Please do tell...

No serviced in Brisbane, imported back in 89. 

It's a standard auto 2.5, but has a 924s engine number..... what's that about..?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived