Looking at 996 Ownership - Opinion sought

WOKA

To be honest unless you're getting a deal on this car i'd walk away.

Leak at the rear will be $800+ to fix as you need to drop the gearbox. On the plus side you can do the IMS and inspect the clutch while you're there (if its a manual).

Running rough on startup is also a big red flag.

The Teal looks like a ripper to me

Noooo.  The Teal car is perfect.  Perfect I say.

The colour is surprisingly good looking and unique in person! 

^^ what is your concern re: the rough start?

As mike mentioned, it's a very vague description/problem which could be anything. I'd walk away very quickly. As well as the oil leaks which aren't cheap to fix. 

A few Caymans at this price point.  Any interest in them?

Had a Cayman for the day when I had my 996 serviced. Nice car, not as powerful as the 911 though :) depends on what you're into. Resale favours 911s over almost everything in the p-car world though IMO. 

Hang in there WOKA! 

Edited by dan_189

No Cayman for me at this point..  Need at least 2.5 seats.!

One will come along.

Must be keen - just ordered my number plate, surprised it was still available actually. At worst it'll sit in the pinball room :)

Edited by WOKA
edit

Yes YES YES! That 4S. Jump on it! It's got so many great extra's including IMS upgrade. 

Sounds like the owner has really looked after it. 

The only issue is that with all the race items is that it might be a bit of a pig to drive in traffic or just a short trip down to the shops.

Wouldn't be surprised if the car has seen some light track work by a previous owner or early on when this owner first bought it.
However since its had the paintwork redone then it's been a garage queen since then possibly with the way the owner talks about it.

Airport west is near me actually. 

Car looks good I'm not a fan of the gt2 wing but the owner says the original is available so all good! 

Although 4.5 seconds to 100 IMO that's a stretch from a tune and exhaust for a c4s haha.

Inquire! That's cheap for a C4S I wonder is its an import, owner doesn't specify unless I read it too quickly. 

Yes YES YES! That 4S. Jump on it! It's got so many great extra's including IMS upgrade. 

Sounds like the owner has really looked after it. 

The only issue is that with all the race items is that it might be a bit of a pig to drive in traffic or just a short trip down to the shops.

Wouldn't be surprised if the car has seen some light track work by a previous owner or early on when this owner first bought it.
However since its had the paintwork redone then it's been a garage queen since then possibly with the way the owner talks about it.

Tried to arrange a viewing (by text) tomorrow as I'm in Melbourne for the day but unfortunately not view-able until Thursday...ahh crap.

Now I'm torn between buying "Mr. Flat Cap Wearing, Driving Gloves, Unmolested Original" vs "Getting stopped every 10 minutes on the way to work - 0 shits given car"

Umm

Jim.

Its nice, its very nice - its in Melbourne.  I'm sure that by the time that I can arrange to get down there it'll be 'pending a PPI'

Whats the wait time in Melbourne for PPI - in Brisbane at the moment its 2 weeks plus at the PCB and 1.5 weeks at T&D for example..  You guys as potential sellers, would you on behalf of a buyer arrange and take you car to get inspected, or is the onus on the buyer.?  Of course cleared funds into sellers account to cover the PPI..  Whats protocol..?

Be a fun drive from Melbourne up the inland roads to Brisbane though  :)

Unmolested v's Zero shits..  That's the real question though.

Edited by WOKA
added content

Its nice, its very nice - its in Melbourne.  I'm sure that by the time that I can arrange to get down there it'll be 'pending a PPI'

Whats the wait time in Melbourne for PPI - in Brisbane at the moment its 2 weeks plus at the PCB and 1.5 weeks at T&D for example..  You guys as potential sellers, would you on behalf of a buyer arrange and take you car to get inspected, or is the onus on the buyer.?  Of course cleared funds into sellers account to cover the PPI..  Whats protocol..?

Not 100% sure of the protocol, but I thought it was arrange between owner and workshop PPI dates, invoice for PPI goes to you and you pay the workshop directly.

If the owner is able to drive it to the workshop - cover owner for costs of getting it there as good will - eg. fuel, maybe money for coffee, lunch, taxi back depending on scenarios and what you feel is applicable. 
If the owner is unable to drive it to the workshop, or you wish to tow it there - arrange tow truck there and back, pay tow company directly.

Edited by Mike737

Unmolested v's Zero shits..  That's the real question though.

Maybe a holding deposit to get down and have a look?

Jim.

Had a long chat to Rasi..  First and foremost is an import, been in the country for 5 years, 3 owner car..  Extensive modifications by the sounds of things. Dry, rust free and clean.

I don't know if I can mention it here, but the owner is the owner of a performance workshop, 7 minutes from 'airport west'  Prestige 'something or other' works I think he called himself..  ;)

Its a sorted car by the sounds, maybe a little to much on the side of go-cart - but my knowledge doesn't stretch the far..  Thanks very much @Pork Chops, that's a very decent gesture, lets see what eventuates over the next couple of days, pictures pending etc and I might take you up on that.  

Import...  It keeps reverberating..  I know they all came from the same factory, and I understand the arguments for and against.  Is the price right for an import..

Cheers blokes - much appreciated.  

It's the same old equation with imports. Likely there is less history and therefore provenance, if from the UK rust is a concern (not necessarily a problem), finally they are worth less. If factory RHD that much better as converted cars are the least desirable IMHO. Less to buy, less to sell so nil sum game. If you're looking for an 'investment' perhaps it won't appreciate like and AUD car but frankly the idea of a car being an investment is odd and atypical and unlikely to be the case in the long term. At $56k it's $30k under the AUD market if it's a good car (maybe) so doesn't seem too bad to me. Say you buy it for that figure and you lose $20k in 3 years, that small fry in the normal scheme of car depreciation. If it's a good car, buy it and enjoy it and be happy your price of entry was so much lower. But only if it's a good car. Get a PPI.

FYI I bought a UK 911 SC and it came here in the 80s and has no rust so it doesn't have to be the case. Take each case on its merits. 

If you just don't want an import you're not alone and it's OK. Just cross this car off your list.

Good luck.