Looking at 996 Ownership - Opinion sought

WOKA

Water cooled imports aren't as bad as air cooled imports due to the improvements in anti-rust applications from the factory over the years. I totally agree with Pork Chops. If it was a LHD to RHD conversion then that might be an issue and I would maybe expect an even lower figure. Otherwise if it is what it is, originally RHD, PPI checks out and he has original parts, then it's definitely worth considering.

I want a manual

I also want this car - I can't have both..!

Someone please talk some sense into me..!  The black car reads and looks oh so nice.  IMS done, history, options.. The extended warranty isn't worth a knob of goat $hit, I know this, but wow, what a great looking car...

:unsure:

Edited by WOKA

I want a manual

Someone please talk some sense into me..!  The black car reads and looks oh so nice.  IMS done, history, options.. The extended warranty isn't worth a knob of goat $hit, I know this, but wow, what a great looking car...

Drive it. If you like it buy it! Simple :)

I want a manual

Test drive it and see whether you like the Tiptronic gearbox, if you like it then it appears to be a solid looking car at face value.  

However, if you would still prefer a manual I don't really see anything on this car that makes it worth compromising for unless you absolutely love its fundamentals.

Bodykit - As an owner of a 996 with a bodykit I agree it looks fantastic, however they are not that rare so you will come across another one with the body kit 

Seats -The 997 seats are nice but they are not the 997 sports seats, yes they are better then than the 996 seats but not exceptionally so.

Interior - Other than the steering wheel (not to my taste) and aforementioned seats it has the standard interior, personally I like the 996 interior but I just mean there is nothing special such as the carbon fibre kit or alacantara fittings to make it better than any other 996.

IMS Bearing - That is a good thing and given it's been done Autohaus you can presumably be confident of the mechanical competence when fitted.  This is really the only thing that makes this car stand out and to my mind that is still not enough to buy if you don't like Tiptronic.

Things I would want to check with the car:

- Make sure that the 997 seats have been fitted properly, while the seat bolts are the same the plugs are different and the 997 seats have airbags which the 996 doesn't so presumably the wiring for the airbag has been deactivated.  For your peace of mind make sure this is done properly.

- Find out if the standard steering wheel comes with the car - if 996's are ever collectible the standard steering wheel will be more valuable, also alcantara shows marks and wears worse then leather so just be aware of that.  Also make sure it is has been fitted by someone who knew what they were doing so the airbag has been properly refitted (This is pretty straight forward so shouldn't be a problem but worth checking)

- Check the colouring of the 997 seats - to my eye the 997 seats look a slightly different colour to the 996 back seats, this could just be the photo.  Probably just depends on how particular you are if they don't match :)

- Check the headlights - it has likely had the head lights replaced with the clear ones as pretty sure it would of had the 'fried egg' headlights from the factory - Someone could have cut corners and put headlights from a left hand drive car as these are cheaper and more common so just make sure they are proper RHD headlights

- Check the rear tail lights for moisture - Again pretty sure these are clear tailights which it didn't come with from the factory.  Some cheap after market lights can leak so have a close look to check for moisture, in all likelihood they are Porsche lights from a later model and it won't be a problem

Not sure whether resale values will affected by Tiptronic but I do think the time it will take to sell might be increased so that is potentially another compromise.

Edited by Carrera28

Dont know what the story is on this car but maybe reach out if it's not sold: http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/8218-fs-996-carrera-6spd-47000kms/

I've spoken to the owner regarding this car - its a good looking car with low KM's..  You hear the stories of Porsche's needing to be 'driven' and 47000km over its life time is quite few.  Is this the case where it may not have been driven enough..!  As silly as it sounds.

50k purchase with no IMS change

IMS + Clutch + potential unknowns c$5k..?

Makes this a 55k car all of a sudden.  + insurance and rego starts to take this out of my budget range.

I think a similarly nice car with IMS done is maybe a better proposition..? 

The black GT3 look-a-like for 49k (albeit Auto) is very appealing.  However, the seller called me back this morning to advise that the log book were lost during a test drive yesterday.  How shitful is it to buy such a car without its books..?  I'm ready to book a flight for Saturday - but this throws up a bit of a red flag - not because I distrust the situation, more so that having such a car without the books is determent to its possible resale..?

Then there is a member who has contacted me via PM..  Gen 1 manual with c75k on the clock, nicely appointed if you like carbon-fiber (not sold on this yet).  No IMS change = no clutch, which would need doing, and this proposition brings me out on budget.  Its a very interesting car.. Not convinced of the colour of the factory carbon trim.

And then there is the Gen 1 manual here in Brisbane with 119k, with IMS and clutch, service and the X51 enhancement..

We're getting closer - until another one pops up..

Thanks for listening and replying - I owe you all beers..!  

FFS.png

Edited by WOKA
edit

50k purchase with no IMS change

IMS + Clutch + potential unknowns c$5k..?

Makes this a 55k car all of a sudden.  + insurance and rego starts to take this out of my budget range.

Good luck with the hunt! Tempted to get a 996 myself. I would also be looking for a .2 manual, but open to a cabriolet or coupe. 

Obviously you don't have to offer the price they list the car at. If you like any of these why not offer $5k below list price and see where you end up?  

+996 on X51

Actually IMO youre better off getting the IMS done yourself for a few big reasons:

1. You may not know what type of replacement IMS has been put in i.e the classic L&N bearing is not as good as the newer pro version

2. You may want the solution instead

3. You can check the condition of the IMS because if its not in good shape you could potentially have other problems on your hands that if addressed sooner rather than later will save your engine.

Most GEN1s have a dual row IMS with a 1% statistical failure rate in the US.

IMO that car is worth 50k+ I wouldnt be walking away if its got good service history

A clutch + IMS will run you 5k but thats the price you pay for owing a car like this, the P-CAR tax gets applied, things arent cheap. I had a clutch, IMS, water pump done and fines in the first month of ownership of my 996. I'd do it all again too :D

In regards to after market warranties, even though they're not worth much, they can mean that the cars servicing is exceptional. Most after market warranties require servicing every six months. If it hasn't the the warranty will probably be void.

This has been for sale a loooong time, higher klms but a mk2 manual asking only $48K.  With the time it's been on the market you sure have some negotiation leverage.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2002-Porsche-911-Carrera-996-Coupe-/121891304302?hash=item1c6149b36e:g:YpsAAOSwuAVWvBRP

Or this! $29K manual coupe 89,000klms.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1999-Porsche-911-996-Carrera-Manual-89000-kays-Just-Beautiful-/141907011819?hash=item210a5128eb:g:kR4AAOSwQYZWwR~x

Plenty of change left to spend on her!

Then there is a member who has contacted me via PM..  Gen 1 manual with c75k on the clock, nicely appointed if you like carbon-fiber (not sold on this yet).  No IMS change = no clutch, which would need doing, and this proposition brings me out on budget.  Its a very interesting car.. Not convinced of the colour of the factory carbon trim.

FFS.png

what makes u think all cars need new clutch??

u would only replace it if it needs doing??

carbon kit is rare option and looks great in real life..

what makes u think all cars need new clutch??

u would only replace it if it needs doing??

I suppose if your doing the IMS, for the cost (pretty much) of a clutch kit, you'd be inclined to change it at the same time..   Call it a labour saving strategy.

I agree with this.  I have the Carbon kit on mine with the centre console, door handles, storage compartment lids being all carbon.  On a black interior it looks pretty good.

I have also replaced most of the remaining interior points with alcantara inserts and reckon it makes my interior a nice place to be

That yellow car was a bit over top and had pretty much every carbon option ticked and against the yellow leather it looked questionable.

Had a look at this one today..  Tidy car for the opening bid I reckon..  A little bit of seep LHR forward of the exhaust manifold (not sure what the doodad is called) otherwise looked dry..  Body is straight, couple of 'trolley dings' and minor scratches.  Absolute plain jane of a car right down to the vinyl roof.  What put me off was a kink in the LHS front corner of the bonnet and cracked plastics behind the front air dam (LHS), plenty of over spray around the rear end with a definite mask off around the C pillar (RHS), and an absence of the books..

Sure, a lot of cosmetics that can be rectified, and some mechanicals, but I'm not really looking for a project right now..  Though I reckon you could just jump in a put 100k on it not problems, as is..  They seem like they are willing to let the auction run as is, even at opening bid.

Side note: Speaking to the owner and they say they previously had another 996 that spat the IMS - they got an exchange motor from a wreck and it too spat the IMS..  Hows that for bad luck..!  Though it evens out the law of averages for other owners perhaps..!  

<edit>  ...and the radio knobs were definitely 'goopy'..  ;)  

Edited by WOKA
Goop

However, the seller called me back this morning to advise that the log book were lost during a test drive yesterday.  How shitful is it to buy such a car without its books..?  

Really!!!  How do you lose books during a test drive??  Very sus.  Alarm bells ring on any vehicle without books.  

Really!!!  How do you lose books during a test drive??  Very sus.  Alarm bells ring on any vehicle without books.  

PS  Thanks for the reminder again when selling to:  ask for a drivers license and take notes before you hand the keys over for a test drive ( don't take it personally, I value my insurance policy?, resist the temptation not to sit in the passengers seat when it is being test piloted and being stompted on from low speed in fourth and and make sure the books are kept in the top draw of your desk. (forgot, locking the globe compartment is useless if one has the key on the key ring

Edited by smit2100