Oxley Hwy from Wauchope to Walcha

Port 911

When it comes to it, is it worth it? I mean a fantastic idea to show up in numbers and voice your displeasure at the reducing of speed limits, yet as we all know, the powers that be will just say 'Tough, we're doing it anyway!'  Once the cops need a revenue raising idea, they'll not let it go in a hurry

http://motorbikewriter.com/rally-fight-reduced-speed-limits/

Anyone interested in joining these guys at Gingers Creek ?

I am keen, I can let a few of the others around Port know. It will be a leisurely drive as to set a good example of course.

When it comes to it, is it worth it? I mean a fantastic idea to show up in numbers and voice your displeasure at the reducing of speed limits, yet as we all know, the powers that be will just say 'Tough, we're doing it anyway!'  Once the cops need a revenue raising idea, they'll not let it go in a hurry

The think is if they stuck with the original plan of putting in a few overtaking areas Dual lains, it would stop some from making silly overtaking maneuvers, ones you get into the windy section, you will be stuck behind whatever it is for up to 70 k, reduce the speed & increase the frustration, & you will get more fatalities, not less.  

We have the Victor Harbor road which is notorious for head on crashes, and people (usually under 25's) wiping themselves out against a huge gum tree. They've tried and tried the 'we want to change the speed limit/slow down' thing, but as you say, it's not the speed limit thats at fault, its drivers mentality.

The road to Pt Augusta is a mundane boring drive with plenty of overtake lanes at 110kph, yet just 2 or 3 weeks ago, I had to hit the brakes at that speed due to some dickhead in an old Commodore full of kids who couldn't wait, and passed on a long sweeping bend 1 or 2 kays after, and about 6 kays before another overtake lane. 10 seconds later, it would have been utter carnage. I passed them 20 minutes later when they were at a servo. Sadly, I really don't care if people want to drive like that and die as a consequence, yet its the innocent people that are the ones who usually die and leave family and friends to suffer for the rest of their lives, and the perpetrator usually just gets a fine, loss of license and MAYBE 6 months in the can. 

Yes, the cops, ambo's and fire fighters don't want to have to attend major accidents, yet dropping a speed limit will never stop accidents and fatalities.  As you say mate, reducing speed limits will lead to more frustration and probably increase accidents. I know I get more frustrated at people doing 50 in a 60 in the right lane. I was in the hills yesterday where the speed limit is 70kph which to me is fast enough to enjoy driving my car 'spiritedly' (down from 80) and some woman was doing 40! Bloody annoying.Twisty roads, slow drivers = frustration. I know I was annoyed, yet I won't take a chance just incase, yet others may have a crack at an overtake and end up in carnage. If I was on a big bike, I probably would have overtaken her (I road raced bikes for many years, so I believe I have the experience at speed, unlike a lot of bike owners who have all the gear but no idea how to ride in the hills!) 

People just need to use their brains, though unfortunately, some a void of sensible thought when driving a car or riding a bike, which will probably render them or others damaged or dead. It's not that hard really

No, they won't 

The law states 'As near as practicable to the left hand side of the carriageway unless overtaking'. Maybe they should install signs stating that every 100 metres, and enforce it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have got to do this road again, i had so much fun in the twisties even though my car was not at full boost.

Anybody thinking about doing an SMT drop me a line especially if its a Friday as i only work 1 a month or if you can work in a day off.

For those that have not been through the twisties on the Oxley but have done the Putty, the twisty section is waaay longer and the forest surroundings make for a really nice day out and it's a bit cooler because it's elevated.

I have got to do this road again, i had so much fun in the twisties even though my car was not at full boost.

Anybody thinking about doing an SMT drop me a line especially if its a Friday as i only work 1 a month or if you can work in a day off.

For those that have not been through the twisties on the Oxley but have done the Putty, the twisty section is waaay longer and the forest surroundings make for a really nice day out and it's a bit cooler because it's elevated.

I think you have an addiction.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived