My Porsche 928

ANF

Sounds like you're really enjoying your car now, even in that color...;)

I re-suspended mine about 12 months ago, and what a difference it made.  Sourced OEM dampers, out of the USA, to keep it original. 

Yes! Very fast car it is indeed now! Ya gotta stand out from the crowd :Beer:

Earlier 928s are more softly sprung/ dampened to the later ones, add in 30 odd years of wear and it's a bit floaty for me. I may go a touch firmer on the shocks than standard..... They will be Bilstein when it is done :)

• 2 months later...

I have been putting this off for about a month now.... as about a month ago my 928 ceased to proceed, just cut out at very low speed and revs... odd! Upon attempting to restart a loud clanging/ rattling sound was heard while it briefly ran then stopped! It had locked solid! A tow truck was called, again...!! It was pushed into garage and left..... I was (and still am) a bit over this car...... not that annoyed as I knew what to expect.... all manner of ideas were going through my head as to what had happened... 

First though was a rod/ piston let go and that was flapping around. 

Well now I know, I pulled spark plug number 7 and it was flattened! With the aid of @tazzieman 's borescope I found this

490.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

c4e.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

A valve has dropped/ broken (or whatever), rattled around and damaged what it can and jammed up the piston/ cylinder.... sh!t!!

I suspect that the bore will most likely be damaged and may be able to be recoated (or a second hand block found) all will be revealed when I pull the engine, some time in the future.... but the bottom end should be fine.

Now the long process of engine rebuild or transplant will happen.....

Question: does anybody have any experience with getting Nikasil type bores repaired in Australia, also does anyone know of a good used engine or block?

Edit: scratch that, no engine plater in Aus has facilities to do a V8.....

:wacko:

56 minutes ago, ANF said:

I have been putting this off for about a month now.... as about a month ago my 928 ceased to proceed, just cut out at very low speed and revs... odd! Upon attempting to restart a loud clanging/ rattling sound was heard while it briefly ran then stopped! It had locked solid! A tow truck was called, again...!! It was pushed into garage and left..... I was (and still am) a bit over this car...... not that annoyed as I knew what to expect.... all manner of ideas were going through my head as to what had happened... 

First though was a rod/ piston let go and that was flapping around. 

Well now I know, I pulled spark plug number 7 and it was flattened! With the aid of @tazzieman 's borescope I found this

490.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

c4e.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

A valve has dropped/ broken (or whatever), rattled around and damaged what it can and jammed up the piston/ cylinder.... sh!t!!

I suspect that the bore will most likely be damaged and may be able to be recoated (or a second hand block found) all will be revealed when I pull the engine, some time in the future.... but the bottom end should be fine.

Now the long process of engine rebuild or transplant will happen.....

Question: does anybody have any experience with getting Nikasil type bores repaired in Australia, also does anyone know of a good used engine or block?

Edit: scratch that, no engine plater in Aus has facilities to do a V8.....

:wacko:

LS1, 2 or 3

17 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Bugger!!!!!

(or Buggered?????)

Looks and sounds expensive :(:(:(

Should not be that expensive. I have a line on a used engine....

7 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

LS1, 2 or 3

Don't swear!! That would most likely cost more to do than repair mine and you have the headache of fuel injection/ electronics/ torque tube/ etc..... Plus I could/ would never do that.

I will fix mine/ replace with same :)

7 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

He would be kicked out of our classic car group though. Cognoscenti...

A friend of mine put a Supra gear box in his XK120 and was seriously looked down upon by the tweed wearers, until they drove it. Supra gearboxes were in short supply very soon afterwards.

Just now, StevepGT3 said:

A friend of mine put a Supra gear box in his XK140 and was seriously looked down upon by the tweed wearers, until they drove it. Supra gearboxes were in short supply very soon afterwards.

50s gearboxes , esp jag ones , were not great. He is excused.
Putting an LS in a 928 is like putting a Gibson neck on a Stratocaster body. It's like a dog standing on its hind legs. Not done well , but you're surprised to see it done at all. (certain preface excised from the original Blackadder to avoid offending)

57 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

50s gearboxes , esp jag ones , were not great. He is excused.
Putting an LS in a 928 is like putting a Gibson neck on a Stratocaster body. It's like a dog standing on its hind legs. Not done well , but you're surprised to see it done at all. (certain preface excised from the original Blackadder to avoid offending)

Bit like Datsin steering in TCs etc, and jappy 5 speeds in MGBs