My Porsche 928

ANF

1 hour ago, ANF said:

I also have a new timing belt and some good used hydraulic lifters for $20 each, these simple little lifters are about $500 each new!!

I've often heard that matching used lifters to a different used camshaft is a bit of a no no...something to do with the lifter wearing in to it's cam lobe, and when transferred to a different cam lobe there's a risk of it not rotating during operation.

It might be a myth....but anyhow worth consulting the experts about it to make sure (Buchanans etc)

At the very least I'd do a cam/lifter break in procedure when you first start the car ie run it at 2500rpm for 20 minutes or so.

Lindsey racing and 944online both offer lifter rebuild services for the 944 sohc lifters which I assume are similar to the 928 sohc lifters. They'll re -machine the top surface so that it's ready to wear in to it's new cam.

19 hours ago, ANF said:

Second parts delivery!
Not sure if these are the right ones, to replace my "cooked" ones.....

35671477_10156403893816465_5832843562546

Looking into this further, looks like they sent me 2 x early non forged rods!! Bloody hell, now I have some paper weights!! Grrr…..

Thinking about the lifters, I don't see how it could be an issue as the lifter rotates while in action so in theory there should be no wear patterns distinctive to a single cam lobe??

I will still look into it though.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, ANF said:

Looking into this further, looks like they sent me 2 x early non forged rods!! Bloody hell, now I have some paper weights!! Grrr…..

2 x "new" rods on the way......

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting on parts to arrive and I am also ordering more as I still find stuff that is needed!

Latest finding is cam lobe pitting, some say a result of low ZDDP oils. Not sure if true or not, but looking to get my cams reground now :)

Lifters will most likely be refurbed as a new set is about $5k!! :o (edit, more like $7k plus!!)

On the lifters, does anyone know what material they are made or are they coated? They appear to be coated and I have heard about some lightly re-linishing them....

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Gregk said:

Oh no, I have just read up on all this Adam. I hope all is going well.

Cheers,

Greg 

Hey Greg,

All is going, well, slowly..... waiting for engine machinist to start machining what needs machining..... has been a long slow process. All parts ready and waiting for when I get my parts back.... 

The waiting is frustrating...…..

How is yours?

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:02 AM, Timm said:

I've often heard that matching used lifters to a different used camshaft is a bit of a no no...something to do with the lifter wearing in to it's cam lobe, and when transferred to a different cam lobe there's a risk of it not rotating during operation.

It might be a myth....but anyhow worth consulting the experts about it to make sure (Buchanans etc)

At the very least I'd do a cam/lifter break in procedure when you first start the car ie run it at 2500rpm for 20 minutes or so.

Lindsey racing and 944online both offer lifter rebuild services for the 944 sohc lifters which I assume are similar to the 928 sohc lifters. They'll re -machine the top surface so that it's ready to wear in to it's new cam.

I have looked into this and looked at the Lindsey Racing rebuilt lifters, are you sure that they machine the lifters? As this would surely go through the coating and I cannot imagine that they re-coat them (for the price that they are offering)? I also note that they will only accept genuine Porsche lifters in exchange, nothing with the INA logo, but I though INA made all of them (the ones with the small logo being better) - all mine I think are genuine and have the small logo??!

I am lighting polishing mine.

Ends up being a mute point as my cams are being re-ground.

Cheers

944 and 928 (2V) are the same lifter.

14 hours ago, ANF said:

I have looked into this and looked at the Lindsey Racing rebuilt lifters, are you sure that they machine the lifters? As this would surely go through the coating and I cannot imagine that they re-coat them (for the price that they are offering)? I also note that they will only accept genuine Porsche lifters in exchange, nothing with the INA logo, but I though INA made all of them (the ones with the small logo being better) - all mine I think are genuine and have the small logo??!

I am lighting polishing mine.

Ends up being a mute point as my cams are being re-ground.

Cheers

944 and 928 (2V) are the same lifter.

I'm not 100% certain, but I do recall mine looked like had been machined.

Just remember to perform a cam break in procedure when you first start it and it should be fine.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, ANF said:

For anyone who cares to know I believe I have found that the lifters are indeed coated.

It is called Parkerized!! Look it up :)

9 hours ago, Timm said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I do recall mine looked like had been machined.

Just remember to perform a cam break in procedure when you first start it and it should be fine.

Maybe they just machine polished/ linished them? (see above) it is only a coating and presume not overly thick? I may find out and one of mine is pitted and I am going to see how much I can reduce by polishing it (probably wont use this one, just curious...)
Yes will run them in.

Pic from Linsey Racing

928-105-311-08-REB-2d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 2:20 PM, ANF said:

Hey Greg,

All is going, well, slowly..... waiting for engine machinist to start machining what needs machining..... has been a long slow process. All parts ready and waiting for when I get my parts back.... 

The waiting is frustrating...…..

How is yours?

Hi Adam. My 928 has been running well for most of this year luckily. I saw a 928 the same colour as yours at the 70th anniversary at Cronulla on the weekend which looked fantastic. I've just bought a non running 924 turbo, so I guess I am starting over again!

Best of luck.

Greg.

43 minutes ago, Gregk said:

Hi Adam. My 928 has been running well for most of this year luckily. I saw a 928 the same colour as yours at the 70th anniversary at Cronulla on the weekend which looked fantastic. I've just bought a non running 924 turbo, so I guess I am starting over again!

Best of luck.

Greg.

Hey Greg,

Yes I saw pics of that car. It won the award for best transaxle car (or something like that)

Good luck on the 924. I am still very much at the mercy of my engine machinist!!

• 3 months later...